PDA

View Full Version : Sentencing comments to a shoe bomber

tartare
13th Nov 2014, 02:58
“Judge Young: ‘Mr. Richard C. Reid, hearken now to the sentence the Court imposes upon you.

“On counts 1, 5 and 6 the Court sentences you to life in prison in the custody of the United States Attorney General. On counts 2, 3, 4 and 7, the Court sentences you to 20 years in prison on each count, the sentence on each count to run consecutively. (That’s 80 years.)

“On count 8 the Court sentences you to the mandatory 30 years again, to be served consecutively to the 80 years just imposed. The Court imposes upon you for each of the eight counts a fine of $250,000 that’s an aggregate fine of $2 million. The Court accepts the government’s recommendation with respect to restitution and orders restitution in the amount of $298.17 to Andre Bousquet and $5,784 to American Airlines.

“The Court imposes upon you an $800 special assessment. The Court imposes upon you five years supervised release simply because the law requires it. But the life sentences are real life sentences so I need go no further.

“This is the sentence that is provided for by our statutes. It is a fair and just sentence. It is a righteous sentence.

“Now, let me explain this to you. We are not afraid of you or any of your terrorist co-conspirators, Mr. Reid. We are Americans. We have been through the fire before. There is too much war talk here and I say that to everyone with the utmost respect. Here in this court, we deal with individuals as individuals and care for individuals as individuals. As human beings, we reach out for justice.

“You are not an enemy combatant. You are a terrorist. You are not a soldier in any war. You are a terrorist. To give you that reference, to call you a soldier, gives you far too much stature. Whether the officers of government do it or your attorney does it, or if you think you are a soldier, you are not—–, you are a terrorist. And we do not negotiate with terrorists. We do not meet with terrorists. We do not sign documents with terrorists. We hunt them down one by one and bring them to justice.

“So war talk is way out of line in this court You are a big fellow. But you are not that big. You’re no warrior. I’ve known warriors. You are a terrorist. A species of criminal that is guilty of multiple attempted murders. In a very real sense, State Trooper Santiago had it right when you first were taken off that plane and into custody and you wondered where the press and the TV crews were and he said:

You’re no big deal.

“You are no big deal.

“What your able counsel and what the equally able United States attorneys have grappled with and what I have as honestly as I know how tried to grapple with, is why you did something so horrific. What was it that led you here to this courtroom today?

“I have listened respectfully to what you have to say. And I ask you to search your heart and ask yourself what sort of unfathomable hate led you to do what you are guilty and admit you are guilty of doing? And, I have an answer for you. It may not satisfy you but as I search this entire record, it comes as close to understanding as I know.

“It seems to me you hate the one thing that to us is most precious. You hate our freedom. Our individual freedom. Our individual freedom to live as we choose, to come and go as we choose, to believe or not believe as we individually choose. Here, in this society, the very wind carries freedom. It carries it everywhere from sea to shining sea. It is because we prize individual freedom so much that you are here in this beautiful courtroom, so that everyone can see, truly see, that justice is administered fairly, individually, and discretely. It is for freedom’s sake that your lawyers are striving so vigorously on your behalf, have filed appeals, will go on in their representation of you before other judges.

“We Americans are all about freedom. Because we all know that the way we treat you, Mr. Reid, is the measure of our own liberties. Make no mistake though. It is yet true that we will bear any burden; pay any price, to preserve our freedoms. Look around this courtroom. Mark it well. The world is not going to long remember what you or I say here. The day after tomorrow, it will be forgotten but this, however, will long endure.

“Here in this courtroom and courtrooms all across America, the American people will gather to see that justice, individual justice, justice, not war, individual justice is in fact being done. The very President of the United States through his officers will have to come into courtrooms and lay out evidence on which specific matters can be judged and juries of citizens will gather to sit and judge that evidence democratically, to mold and shape and refine our sense of justice.

“See that flag, Mr. Reid? That’s the flag of the United States of America. That flag will fly there long after this is all forgotten. That flag stands for freedom. And it always will.

“Mr. Custody Officer. Stand him down.”

mikedreamer787
13th Nov 2014, 07:08
From what I just read Mr tatare Reid
copped a 110 year sentence in total.

..Could I just ask what happens if he
goes and karks it before his 110's up
- do they just leave his filthy carcass
to rot in his cell for 40 odd years?

Just curious.

Blacksheep
13th Nov 2014, 07:21
What a wasted, useless life. Better if he and his kind had never been born.

I like that United States justice. Over here in the United Kingdom, the possibility remains that the two morons who killed a soldier on our streets in broad daylight, claiming to be soldiers in the service of God, might one day walk in freedom on our streets again.

IBMJunkman
13th Nov 2014, 13:32
mikedreamer787,

Sorry to say, no. The cell will be immediately filled by some other miscreant. Now, it might be good if the new guy has to put up with the rotting carcass. :)

rgbrock1
13th Nov 2014, 13:39
mikedreamer wrote:

Could I just ask what happens if he
goes and karks it before his 110's up
- do they just leave his filthy carcass
to rot in his cell for 40 odd years?

They feed his miserable carcass to the pigs. A fitting end.

wings folded
13th Nov 2014, 15:20
They feed his miserable carcass to the pigs. A fitting end.What? And spoil a decent bit of pork? Now, now...

tony draper
13th Nov 2014, 15:44
In the days we were sensible and hanged feckers like those two their corpses post drop would have been buried within the prison walls,their 72 virgins could only see em at visiting times.
:)

radeng
13th Nov 2014, 18:01
At least the Americans hand out sentences which mean something, rather than as what so often appears in the UK (at least to me) an excessively lenient sentence of which only half is likely to be served anyway.

victor tango
13th Nov 2014, 18:26
Thank you for that tartare

I wish we had a few Judge Youngs over here!

VP959
13th Nov 2014, 18:38
At least the Americans hand out sentences which mean something, rather than as what so often appears in the UK (at least to me) an excessively lenient sentence of which only half is likely to be served anyway.

Our problem has nothing to do with our judiciary, but everything to do with politics interfering with sentencing policy and guidelines. The judiciary are constrained, and can only impose sentences that follow the book. This stipulates certain things that regularly upset the tabloid press, like a hefty sentence discount for pleading guilty, and further discounts for mitigating factors, so very, very few people who are convicted of any offence actually serve the sentence that is announced as a headline.

This regularly gets the tabloids going, but if they ever bothered to look at the law they would see that the problem isn't as they claim, lenient judges and magistrates, but the way that the law, and sentencing policy and guidance has been worded.

I strongly suspect that the latter is influenced by a desire to save money, by reducing the number of people locked up at great expense. I can't say I agree with bringing economic factors into judicial process, but that's exactly what seems to happen.

angels
13th Nov 2014, 18:48
This all happened over a decade ago didn't it? Have I missed something? :confused:

Anyway, he is the only famous person to have gone to my son and daughter's school. :eek:

Tarq57
13th Nov 2014, 20:31
That is one of the best-crafted judicial oratories I have ever read.
:D:D:D

Effluent Man
13th Nov 2014, 20:42
It seemed a trifle mad to me tbh.

Tarq57
13th Nov 2014, 20:44
A trifle gung-ho, perhaps, a trifle "stars and stripes-y", but ultimately rather satisfying to read.

Effluent Man
13th Nov 2014, 21:20
Yes,on reflection "mad" wasn't the best word to describe it,but definitely OTT.And in a way rather giving the nutter too much attention.

meadowrun
13th Nov 2014, 21:22
One should never judge purely on looks, but when this idiot was arrested it was striking how true "stupid is as stupid looks" was.

racedo
13th Nov 2014, 22:44
Personally think Judged should have taken him out and given him a good shoeing........................ Judge would have been easily elected the next time.

air pig
13th Nov 2014, 23:24
Should have had the old British ending. 'That you taken to a place of lawful imprisonment and then to a place of lawful execution and you thereby hung by the neck until you are dead, and may the Lord have mercy on your soul'. Padre intones 'Amen' and the judge then states 'take him down'.

Three weeks later, early in the morning at between 8 and 9 am, a set of trap doors open and I suspect in this case at either Wandsworth or Pentonville as the case would have been held at the Central Criminal Court or more famously known as the Old Bailey and justice served and one more buried within the prison confines.

Hanging is not difficult, just difficult to do well.

VP959 : the fluffy lefties who think it's all societies (and that includes a lot of senior police officers) fault the little scrotes commit crime would thoroughly dislike the German method of dealing with habitual criminals between the years 1933 to 45. As you exited prison after your second offence the local friendly man from the Gestapo was waiting to conduct you to Dachau and other such places for a little 're-education through work'. hpw do you think all those nice new autobahns were built and then in 1939 into the army as cannon fodder.

MarkerInbound
14th Nov 2014, 01:14
Judge would have been easily elected the next time

Federal judges are appointed for life over here.

AtomKraft
14th Nov 2014, 01:37
I've never understood this 'you hate our freedom' comment, that is so widely used these days.

Do we really imagine that terrorists wake up in the morning thinking ' golly, those folk are free. That really ticks me off. I must try and kill them!'

There are many things that drive terrorists, but an instinctive hatred of someone else's 'freedom' has never seemed to me to be one of them.

Permanent prison seems quite fitting to me. Won't be much fun, I imagine.

Dushan
14th Nov 2014, 02:09
I've never understood this 'you hate our freedom' comment, that is so widely used these days.

Do we really imagine that terrorists wake up in the morning thinking ' golly, those folk are free. That really ticks me off. I must try and kill them!'

They do. Not so much 'golly, those folk are free.', but in a sense that we have a society which is based on freedom of expression, religion, self responsibility, respect for women, etc.*

* and before anyone starts to dissect and argue the opposite, it is to a varying degree, in different places, but it is a 1000 times more that how they would ant it to be under sharia and their perverted outlook on life.

AtomKraft
14th Nov 2014, 02:58
Dushan
I don't really follow your logic.

Do you mean that they wish they had the 'freedom' that we have, but as they cannot- they would prefer it if we didn't have it either?

Or do you mean they themselves do not like freedom- and think we should share their dislike?

I've never really understood it.

I think the liking of freedom is pretty much universal.

Personally, I don't buy the 'you hate our freedom' line. I think it's a bs line that masks the real drivers behind what these loonies are up to.

meadowrun
14th Nov 2014, 04:10
They do not like our "freedom of self-determination"

They want to tell us and everyone what to do and what not to do according to their interpretation of a book and legends that provides to them, a set of rules for how everyone should act, in subservience to them of course.

They are the superior beings, no one else can be allowed independent thought and actions. That is why you see that lecturing index finger.

They are a living anachronism in their own world of delusions.

mikedreamer787
14th Nov 2014, 04:28
The "New Communism" Mr Run.

Both a totalitarian, recruit the mental dropkicks
of foreign societies to expand its ground, allows
no dissent - and has a secret police with severe
penalties for any transgression or non-compliance.

All in the name of gaining political power & greed
while pursuing the appearance of a utopian opiate
to achieve that undeserved power - one form uses
a Manifesto written in a Reading Room of a British
library, and the other misuses a set of beliefs for
its own shitty purposes set yonks ago (for its own
time in history) in the Sand Pit.

Of course both creeds are based on bullshit lies
and deception.

BTW could you change your font and font size
please? Its bloody hard to read your posts on
tiny iphone screens.... :\

meadowrun
14th Nov 2014, 05:48
Very well. Is up one sizing better? I do like the font for my eyes. If not I will change font.

mikedreamer787
14th Nov 2014, 06:18
Yeah ok that's better. Thanks.

tartare
14th Nov 2014, 08:01
Interesting.
I actually didn't think it was that gung ho.

anotherthing
14th Nov 2014, 09:09
The court is a stage... any honest person who works within it, be that lawyer, barrister or judge will admit it is so to a certain degree.

The sentence is great, though why not just quietly execute him and save taxpayers money?

I'm with Effluent man - the oratory was a bit OTT and to my mind was all about the Judge trying to make a soundbite

mikedreamer787
14th Nov 2014, 10:03
the oratory was a bit OTT and to my mind was all about the Judge trying to make a soundbite

I think he was saying (in the legalest of terms) "You hideous murdering terrorist bastards aren't worth a pinch of cocky shit, and if I had the power to hang you from your miserable fcuking neck, I would!"

Just my interpretation.