PDA

View Full Version : Rechargables

victor tango
12th Nov 2014, 21:06
A question Ive asked before elsewhere but cant get a definitive answer.

Is it best to let your battery go right down before re-charging.
Is it bad to "top up" the battery when its 1/2 full??????????

vulcanised
12th Nov 2014, 21:23
Question one - YES, if it's a NiCad, if it's NiMH it doesn't matter too much.

Much the same answer to second question.

The Flying Pram
12th Nov 2014, 21:36
Depends entirely on the type of battery. Lead/Acid (car) batteries really shouldn't be fully discharged, and even then must be promptly re-charged. The manufacturers publish typical lifetimes, which depend on the number, and depth of each charge/discharge cycle. This is further broken down by the make up of the cells. "Deep Cycle", "Starting" and hybrid "Marine/Dual Purpose" will all have different capabilities.

On the other hand, NiCad (typically "Torch" batteries, as used in small portable electronic appliances), should be fully discharged from time to time, as they suffer from a "memory" effect. NiMh are supposedly immune from this.

Lithium types (as used in computers and phones) will be permanently damaged by full discharge, and the equipment will normally shut down before this happens.

Is it bad to "top up" the battery when its 1/2 full??????????That's what causes the memory effect in NiCads.

henry_crun
19th Nov 2014, 17:57
VT

Charge fully then use as you wish.

Don't listen to scare stories, they are urban myths concerning an obsolete battery type promulgated by self-aggrandising help-desk simians.

The 'memory' effect in NiCad batteries (no longer available) was caused by whiskering. During charge, metal was deposited unevenly and the electrodes grew localised whiskers which limited the chargeability.

Don't worry! Equipment designers do all the worrying for you.

ExSp33db1rd
19th Nov 2014, 19:24
Is it an "Urban Myth" that some batteries willl only accept so many attempts to re-charge them before they roll over with their feet in the air ?

Apple staff told me that when I bought an iPad, so I let it go down to almost zero everytime before I start to re-charge it, and then put it on a timer so that it is no longer connected shortly after it reaches full charge, which takes about 4 hours.

It doesn't normally inconvenience me, but am I being unnecessarily paranoid.

( like everything else in Life - ask two people and get five answers.)

OFSO
19th Nov 2014, 20:28
As has been said, it all depends...on the type of battery.

One thing that's often overlooked is that the first few discharge/charge cycles should be appropriate for the sort of battery it is, in order to condition it.

Use start page or if you really love adverts, google to get more info.

Apple staff told you that ? Really ? Hmmm.......

ExSp33db1rd
19th Nov 2014, 20:44

3rd St Promenade Store, Santa Monica, CA. USA

As I say - ask two people and get five answers.

mad_jock
20th Nov 2014, 06:08
To get a real laugh listen to floor staff of pc world in the UK.

Either they just make it, up or thier job training takes 10 mins.

To give themsome due the techs that fix stuff in the cages seem to have more of a clue. But the thankfully limited exposure to the network techs is also a bit of an eye opener.

mixture
20th Nov 2014, 08:54
One thing that's often overlooked is that the first few discharge/charge cycles should be appropriate for the sort of battery it is, in order to condition it.

OSFO,

ENOUGH of your stupid Apple bashing !

You know very well that the sort of batteries found in Apple (and many other manufacturers) devices does not need discharge/charge cycles !

The advice is to work on a top-up charge basis !

All you need to do is read the manuals for the devices if you don't wish to believe what people tell you.

The whole discharge/recharge "conditioning" thing is from the old Nicad era and is no longer applicable in this day and age of modern battery technology !

OFSO
20th Nov 2014, 10:27
ENOUGH of your stupid Apple bashing !

So one word - really - and one question mark - ? - constitutes "Apple Bashing" does it. Oh dear.

As far as conditioning and reconditioning of modern battery technology not being necessary I suggest you do just a tiny bit of research on the matter before advising people on this thread.

Better still, stay silent on matters of which you know nothing.

ExXB
20th Nov 2014, 13:07
Apple chargers, not connected - or once the device is charged, will draw just a minute amount of electricity. Something like US$0.014 worth per YEAR (or double that in Europe where the electricity is twice as expensive)

While laudable it really isn't necessary. Chargers made by others will not necessarily give you the same results. As they say 'your mileage may (will) vary'!

And Apple Geniuses should know this. (It's easily googable)

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Nov 2014, 00:52
I'm hedging my bets - my Windows HP Laptop remains connected all the time - except when I'm at home when there's a power failure, a frequent occurrence in rural New Zealand, and I don't want to risk a power surge despite using a so-called "protected" power board, never say never - so the battery is permanently trickle charged. Very occasionally I give it a birthday present and let it run down, but very rarely.

My iPad runs from Hero to Zero all the time, but when I put it on charge again at 2% remaining I also attach it to a timer for 4 hours, which from experience takes it just up to 100% again - then it disconnects.

I think it's all like diets, just do, or eat, that which you are comfortable with, Murphy will get you whatever you do. Makes no matter how hard you try. At my age I'll probable die of Ice Cream ( or chocolate ) before my battery runs out.

Not even going to discuss what I do with my Nokia, ignorant ( i.e. not Smart ) mobile phone.