PDA

View Full Version : Leak from Washing Machine

OFSO
12th Nov 2014, 16:13
Our n+30 years old Miele leaks - but only when not being watched. I've taken the filter in the waste pipe out and cleaned it, put it back, sat and watched it run through a whole cycle (about as interesting as watching BBC1 and 2 these days) and never a drop of water leaks from the filter or anywhere else. Then the next time it runs - and I'm elsewhere - there is water on the floor.

Stumped.

rgbrock1
12th Nov 2014, 16:23
OFSO:

It's evil then. If it knows it's being observed it behaves. If not being observed it misbehaves. Therefore, evil.

Kill it. :E:}

wings folded
12th Nov 2014, 16:34
The cat pisses on the floor when you are not looking.

maliyahsdad2
12th Nov 2014, 16:35
Probably a hole in the Rubber door seal, with the water running down the front (inside) of the machine....

solution - Put the washing machine where your tv is.

superq7
12th Nov 2014, 16:37
Perhaps you have the dishwasher running at the same time when it leaks, both emptying at the same time might cause it.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
12th Nov 2014, 16:41
How much does it leak?
Is it definitely running the same cycle every time, with the same amount of washing?

Guessing -
1) it's happening during heavy loads when there's more water in the drum, and/or
2) it's happening during the spin cycle, when the vibration is highest
2a) it's only happening occasionally when the spin load is particularly unbalanced.

Tape some paper round each joint. Next time it leaks, check which bit of paper is soggy.

Also try
http://www.ukwhitegoods.co.uk/help/fix-it-yourself/washing-machine-washer-dryer/3706-intermittent-leaking-on-washing-machines.html
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5q1ynWb-U

racedo
12th Nov 2014, 16:43
OFSO......one question

WTF are you doing womens work ?

sitigeltfel
12th Nov 2014, 16:44
n+30 years old

There's your problem. ;)

dazdaz1
12th Nov 2014, 16:47
Fluid/water on the floor; In 1988 an eminent gynaecologist Prof. Augustas Balls of Vienna presented a paper for inclusion to the highly acclaimed science publication Gynaecology Now. Where the professor put forward a theory that women sitting on to of a washing machine (on spin) experienced pleasurable effects of the vibrations.

I'm not suggesting, re the above that fluid (amount not know in your post) could be attributed to female bodily fluids. Having said that, do you have a pet dog? A paper posted in Vets Today magazine suggested the possibility of bladder stimulation (male dog) when leaning/close contact with vibration sources.

rgbrock1
12th Nov 2014, 17:18
wings wrote:

Correct. Which is why I consider all cats the epitome of evil.

rgbrock1
12th Nov 2014, 17:19
racedo wrote:

OFSO......one question

Not looking to "get some" anytime soon, are ya racedo? :}:E

racedo
12th Nov 2014, 17:23
Not looking to "get some" anytime soon, are ya racedo? :}:E

Deal with SWMBO is she doesn't look at what I post on Interweb and I don't comment on Cookery programs where never seen end result on table. :)

BOAC
12th Nov 2014, 17:24
Analysis Probably a hole in the Rubber door seal, with the water running down the front (inside) of the machine.... - agreed - happened to my Bosch.

Solution Put the washing machine where your tv is. - didn't think to try that.....

OFSO
12th Nov 2014, 18:06

Cat not permitted inside house

Woman only allowed in house one day a week (Thursday morning) - while I'm out. Machine has to be functioning for her to use.

Water NOT coming from door seal, but from filter. But not when I watch filter. Hmmmm.....what was that about the observer becoming part of the experiment so the mere act of observing changes values - such as potential to leak.

Thinks: MY washing machine has no leak. But washing machine in the next universe along has a leak. High spin rate at same time in both causes quantum connection. And I'm getting it's water. Memo to self: check for unusual underwear in machine after spin cycle. If found post pictures on PPRuNe. Blast ! I already did that.

MG23
12th Nov 2014, 18:07
Few weeks ago, I got a flood warning alarm from the basement, and went downstairs to find water spewing out of the soap drawer thingy in the washing machine. I was washing a new quilt for the first time, which barely fit in the drum, so I presume it was preventing water from getting into the drum and the pressure forced it out of the soap dispenser instead. Eventually a big enough pool built up around the machine to trigger the flood sensor.

So a leak isn't necessarily from the door.

goffered again
12th Nov 2014, 18:19
When my washer drips I find a bunch of flowers usually does the trick!:)

west lakes
12th Nov 2014, 18:19
and went downstairs to find water spewing out of the soap drawer thingy in the washing machine

SWMBO washed a new pair of my Nomex/Kevlar arc proof and fire proof trousers today, the only item in the washing machine.
It of course complained by pumping suds out of the soap drawer.

As mentioned earlier, obviously they are evil!

racedo
12th Nov 2014, 18:21
Ring up Miele and claim lifetime guarantee is not worth the paper it was written on...............

OFSO
12th Nov 2014, 18:34
Ring up Miele

Last resort, yes. It irks me to have the man come just to replace two sealing rings, even though Spain doesn't have call-out charges as such. However I've been unable to obtain them locally. And of course during today's observation - didn't leak at all.

Serious point: I think a lot of troubles affecting washing machines relate to the low "eco temperatures" we run them at today with lower temperature washing powders/liquids. Results in blocked-up waste hoses/pipes. And has been pointed out, high back pressure will overwhelm a seal not designed for it. So I ran mine on a 60º setting today, just to flush out any soap remnants.

Lovely lady comes tomorrow to vacuum, iron, do laundry, make-up beds. We shall see if the darned thing leaks when she is here.

rgbrock1
12th Nov 2014, 18:36
OFSO wrote:

Lovely lady comes tomorrow to vacuum, iron, do laundry, make-up beds. We shall see if the darned thing leaks when she is here.

What leaks, OFSO? :}:E:mad:

OFSO
12th Nov 2014, 18:43
What leaks, OFSO?

Me, if I'm here when she is, which is why I'm not.

Mac the Knife
12th Nov 2014, 18:51
"Thinks: MY washing machine has no leak. But washing machine in the next universe along has a leak. High spin rate at same time in both causes quantum connection. And I'm getting it's water. Memo to self: check for unusual underwear in machine after spin cycle. If found post pictures on PPRuNe. Blast ! I already did that."

Brilliant. Love it. :ok::ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

Mac

ricardian
12th Nov 2014, 18:51
Maybe the lady just doesn't close the washer door properly?

wings folded
12th Nov 2014, 18:57

Cat not permitted inside house
What makes you believe that the cat complies?

Capetonian
12th Nov 2014, 19:37
Cats are sly, devious, evil conniving creatures. The female of the species, even more so. I'm with WF on this, the beast is sneaking into the house when your back is turned, having a crafty whizz against the washing machine, and then sneaking out and laughing from afar.

Mechta
12th Nov 2014, 19:42
It sounds as though OFSO or his "hombre de la reparación de la máquina de lavar" has solved the leak in question, but here are a couple of washing machine failure modes to be aware of:

Fault: Machine sometimes drains, other times doesn't.
Cause: Five pence coin in pipe to drain pump was acting like a carburettor butterfly valve, sometimes allowing flow, sometimes not.
Solution: Remove five pence coin...

Fault: Floor damp beneath washing machine.
Cause: Elbows on wall mounted outlet pipe to drain were restricting flow and allowing a buildup of soap scum downstream, further restricting flow. Water was backing up pipe and flowing out the top (but hidden behind washing machine, so not detected sooner).
Solution: Install sweeping bends to allow full flow.

wings folded
12th Nov 2014, 19:45
When you encounter Capetonian and me agreeing, the rarity of the event ought to awake your attention :E

It is the cat.

The Flying Pram
12th Nov 2014, 19:46
"The Cat Crept quietly into the Crypt, Crapped, and Crept quietly out again"

I'm sure that could be re-worked for a liquid version...

Capetonian
12th Nov 2014, 19:54
The Pussy Padded Preciously into the Pantry, Pissed, Pretended nothing had Passed, and Pissed off after licking its Private Parts.

4mastacker
12th Nov 2014, 20:23
Have you tried clearing out the pump? One machine we had kept pi$$ing water out. Cleared the filters, made sure the machine wasn't overloaded, cleaned the detergent tray, etc and it still wet the floor. Eventually, I disconnected the pump and found several, very well washed coins therein. Put the coins in the kids money box, reconnected the hoses and job done. :ok:

Buster Hyman
12th Nov 2014, 20:31
I'm still astounded that you are getting Vegetables from the washing machine!

cockney steve
12th Nov 2014, 20:43
Presuming the washer is a front-loader (as everybody has done already!) there is normally a convoluted hose between the tank and the filter/pump assembly. the latter are normally fixed to the casing/chassis whereasthe tank containing the rotating drum, is usually suspended on springs with some sort of damping arrangement.
The hoses usually perish at this sort of age. sometimes difficult to spot if the convolutions are concertina-like. Spigots (pipe-stubs) usuallyhave a thickened bead around the end, to help retain the hose.....the extra-stretched bit is another suspect.
A good engineering suppliers will stock O-rings or different thicknesses of rubber cord....chop to length in a simple jig which gives an angled cut, join with Superglue ,.

Miele are by and large, superbly made machines, but their obscene spares prices and lack of"pattern part" availability, coupled with their closed-shop approach to software- resets, means they have you by the nuts abd squeeze hard.

IMHO, the Swedish Asko, sold as ISE in the UK, is a far better long-term prospect. the spares policy is open and transparent and you get a 10 year guarantee....but the price is in Miele territory,at a bit over a grand!

Son has one , loves it, now eczema-free due to the better rinsing...i'd snuff it before getting my moneys worth so Iwon't be getting one, besides, I like repairing others' cast-offs...not bought a new washer for over 40 years. Don't think I've ever paid more than £30 except when I rented out a flat,either.

wings folded
12th Nov 2014, 20:50
No, it's the cat

rgbrock1
12th Nov 2014, 20:53
The simple solution to Washing Machine problems is, well, simple. Throw the defective piece of junk out the door and replace it with simplicity itself:

http://www.jointheevolution.ca/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/washboard-300x294.jpg

And just imagine OFSO, that lady who comes over to clean your house? She's have to bend over to do the wash with one of these contraptions. :ok:

vulcanised
12th Nov 2014, 21:02
.........and when it's not in use for washing, you can play it too.

OldCessna
12th Nov 2014, 21:28
Here's a solution I found.

The Fuhrer was using too much detergent which believe it or not cuaes pressure within the cylinder and leaks.

Reduce detergent and give it a try.

gingernut
12th Nov 2014, 21:53
Usually a 1p piece or a hair grip somewhere very near to the bottom of the machine.

ricardian
13th Nov 2014, 00:18
When our washing machine suddenly stopped working on only its second wash we called in our local expert who discovered the problem had been caused by our cat who had a habit of chewing our wicker-work laundry basket and treating it as a scratching post. A piece of wicker, only a couple of inches long, had got entangled in the washing and had blocked the machine's drainage system

Loose rivets
13th Nov 2014, 00:42
Fondles tips of waxed mustache into fine points and gives a smug look.

Tell me, when you watch the machine, you leave the door open, no?

Yes.

And when you leave the machine, you close the door?

Yes.

The answer is obvious. The machine spins and the minute cyclone effect alters the pressure in the now sealed room. The pressure differential across the filter seal therefore alters. No?

Brilliant! You're a genius! That change makes the water seep out?

Brilliant, yes, but your answer is wrong.

????

When the door is closed, the cat comes out of hiding and pisses on the front of your perfectly serviceable Miele.

Oh, no prizes, but how do you pronounce Miele?

OFSO
13th Nov 2014, 05:55
the minute cyclone effect alters the pressure in the now sealed room

Believe it or not I had thought of raising the air pressure in the room to reduce the leak (when it happens). Sealed window and door, small fan set in orifice to outside world. But would not work, some lady or other would leave the door open (they always do).

ChrisVJ
13th Nov 2014, 06:18
And the bloody light on.

OFSO
13th Nov 2014, 07:05
And also the bloody TV on..... however.

This morning's laundry wash completed at 07:30. NO LEAK. Aha ! a 2 cent coin was inside the main drum. Unless the washing machine has just started creating coins, must have been in there some time.

mikedreamer787
13th Nov 2014, 08:21
Oh, no prizes, but how do you pronounce Miele?

"Meeler".............

david1300
13th Nov 2014, 09:00
No, 'Mealer' :p

probes
13th Nov 2014, 09:13
since when has it been women's work to watch machines work? :E

Hydromet
13th Nov 2014, 09:24
Had a problem, apparently with the WM. As it went through a cycle, as it entered each phase, phone base stn. on the same power circuit would reset repeatedly. Serviceman came ($120 call out) and couldn't actually find anything wrong, but reckoned it must have been the drain pump, as the resets happened whenever the pump started. New pump ordered.

Then the garage door lifter blew a fuse, nothing to do with the WM, but it's on the same circuit. Hmmm. Checked the fuse box and found the fuse receptacle for that circuit was arcing on one terminal. Replaced the fuse with a CB, problem gone. Told the serviceman, he tried to hit me for a restocking fee for the pump that had been ordered. Sorry mate, wasn't me that diagnosed the problem.

All fuses have now been replaced with safety CBs.

Ancient Mariner
13th Nov 2014, 10:07
Miele (/ˈmiːlə/ mee-lə; German: [ˈmiːlə] ;)
Per

(adding ten characters)

OFSO
13th Nov 2014, 10:21
Meee-lay is correct. (So sagt meine Deutsche Freunde).

wings folded
13th Nov 2014, 10:23
So have you provided an alternative piggy bank for the cat?

OFSO
13th Nov 2014, 10:25
Please don't mention pigs. I can't leave my house at night because of the rampaging wild boar in the forest above road. Snorts and grunts when they see me. Intentions very clear (theirs not mine. Well, mine also "stay inside the gate".)

MagnusP
13th Nov 2014, 10:50
Damn fine eating on one of them, OFSO. Got a rifle?

cattletruck
13th Nov 2014, 11:05
I love a Brite ending.

OFSO
13th Nov 2014, 11:13
Got a rifle?

Around here we use a 12' spear with a cross-piece about half way down. You put your left food on the end to hold it firmly into the ground and feed the sharp end into the boar's mouth when it charges. And don't lose your nerve.....

Yes, they are excellent eating, every restaurant here has 'em on the menu between September and April.

rgbrock1
13th Nov 2014, 13:14
MagnusP wrote:

Damn fine eating on one of them, OFSO. Got a rifle?

OFSO wrote:

rampaging wild boar in the forest above road

Ah yes, die Wildschwein. Tons of 'em in Germany in rural areas.

Grafenwoehr, Germany. (NATO training area in the Oberpfalz region of eastern Bayern) Lots of boar there.

1st Sergeant: "I don't want to hear a single one of you mother f****ers shooting at the goddamn boar hogs. Your ass is mine if you do."

15 minutes later one hears the sound of a couple of 5.56mm rounds being fired. Odd that as no range time was scheduled.

20 minutes later Private First Class Lemeroux returns dragging a rather dead Wildschwein behind him, double-tapped to the head.

Needless to say, the 1st Sergeant after cussing out PFC Lemeroux, authorized quite a banquet over a fire that evening. Hey, even Infantry have to eat sometimes ya know. :}:ok::E

airship
13th Nov 2014, 14:44
The leak is probably inside the machine. If you can't see the leak then check the lightbulb.

Well, ovens have one...

rgbrock1
13th Nov 2014, 14:54
A light bulb in a washing machine airship? I see you've received your monthly shipment of Elmer's Glue, eh? :ok::E:}

arcniz
13th Nov 2014, 15:20
Like politicians, Machines bear watching.

Sit with it. Share it's vibe. Get on the wavelength of mfrxyzwashingmachinethingie.

The truth will appear as an angel, either in the form of a puddle or as a sequence timing error.

Or one of those darn anomalies... which require further processing.

On could figure out the entire internet faster than the vagaries of the very
"normal" washing machine that tends to do whatever the hexx it wishes to do.

Talk to it a few times, kick it once or twice, give it one more chance... and then replace the wucker.

rgbrock1
13th Nov 2014, 15:23
While we're on the subject of washing machines the one thing I would like to know is what washing machines do with all those socks, usually one of a pair, that they eat? Where do they go? And, most importantly, why?

One of life's many mysteries. :}

probes
13th Nov 2014, 15:36
a friend of mine (from Pprune) swore his wife is eating them. Or makes to vanish with some other method. Which makes it only logical of her to appear in these regions of the Earth and take care of ours as well.

MagnusP
13th Nov 2014, 15:38
Saint Terence of Pratchett has already explained the Eater of Socks.

Edit: I should have said it's in the Hogfather.

airship
13th Nov 2014, 15:42
That reminds me of when I shared a house during my younger years back in the UK. Some of the girls had the same problem with their knickers. Which would sometimes disappear during the wash, then mysteriously reappear days or even weeks afterwards.

Perhaps someone in your household has a foot (-covering) fetish... :ok:

ian16th
13th Nov 2014, 17:15
Front loading washing machines are unnecessarily complicated, and difficult to balance. All this simply for the cosmetic effect of being able to fit them under the kitchen worktop.

Upright, top loading machines are much simpler, and far better balanced, and consequently much more reliable. They can be difficult to fit into a small kitchen, and ideally should be in a laundry, or as mine is, in the garage.

The best ones are American, we have a Speed Queen. Dunno if they are available in your part of the world.

421dog
13th Nov 2014, 17:38
A light bulb in a washing machine airship? I see you've received your monthly shipment of Elmer's Glue, eh?

The Miele, ludicrously expensive set that my wife insisted upon, and which required me to install a buck transformer to run at 208v as our otherwise fine 240v is inadequate to European engineering sensibilities, apparently, (though our frequency is considered adequate), has lights in both the high-priced, infinitely variable stainless washer drum, as well as in the caress-your-undies-and-avoid-permanent-press-distress dryer.

Of course the set cost 3 times as much as the speed queens in the basement which are bigger and louder, but don't require a laptop and a sated technician to service.

rgbrock1
13th Nov 2014, 17:54
A washer with lights. Wow. Does it sing an Aria as well? :}

Hydromet
13th Nov 2014, 20:26
Damn fine eating on one of them, OFSO.
And you can drink bore water, as well.

Akubra, Dryzabone, seeya.

421dog
13th Nov 2014, 22:20
A washer with lights. Wow. Does it sing an Aria as well

Well, now that you mention it, the clean-clothes alarm is the opening riff from "Die Forelle" (admittedly, ein Lied, not an Aria, per se, but it's an effort)

ricardian
13th Nov 2014, 22:50
My new tumble drier has umpteen settings - extra dry, strong dry, cupboard dry, damp, iron dry and wool. I only ever use the extra dry & wool settings. It's a condenser dryer and the resulting distilled water is far better than tap water for watering plants; it's amazing how much water it extracts from a couple of bath towels that came out of the washer feeling almost dry after being spun at 1,200 rpm

Loose rivets
14th Nov 2014, 03:25
"Meeler"....

No.

No, 'Mealer'

Nooooooo (said in a Jeremy Paxman sort of way.)

Dushan
14th Nov 2014, 03:50
OFSO, I hear that the space probe they sent to the comet is the size of a washing machine. You should have volunteered yours and bought a new one.

Let the old one piss on the comet.

Mechta
14th Nov 2014, 09:21
OFSO, I hear that the space probe they sent to the comet is the size of a washing machine. You should have volunteered yours and bought a new one.

Let the old one piss on the comet.

Conspiracy proof! The space probe they've been telling us about on the BBC is the size of a fridge. There must be two of them... :}

While we're on the subject of washing machines the one thing I would like to know is what washing machines do with all those socks, usually one of a pair, that they eat? Where do they go? And, most importantly, why?

One of life's many mysteries. :}

Simple. Socks are randomly paired up at the factory and given a rinse of washing machine soluble dye. Only after they've been worn once and washed does anyone notice that they are actually different colours and styles. That way you are continually going out and buying more. The manufacturers must spend a fortune ensuring that they never make more than one sock in a particular style or shade.

Capetonian
14th Nov 2014, 09:28
I solved the sock problem by buying 10 pairs identical, which as I'm colour blind solved two problems in one master stroke of genius.

SWMBO then bought me 10 identical pairs of underpants to replace the old sagging ones with holes in them. I observed that it was not a good idea as people would think I wore the same underpants for weeks on end. As she said 'what people?' I dodged the punch.

G-CPTN
14th Nov 2014, 11:45
We bought our first washing machine from Comet.

Loose rivets
14th Nov 2014, 12:43
G-C, that's funny - as was the previous post. What would I do without PPRuNe?

rgbrock1
14th Nov 2014, 12:57
Capetonian wrote:

I observed that it was not a good idea as people would think I wore the same underpants for weeks on end.

And the problem with wearing the same underpants for weeks on end is? :}

CISTRS
14th Nov 2014, 13:22

Wear dark trousers...

OFSO
14th Nov 2014, 14:40
worn once and washed

The things one learns on PPRuNe. Wear socks ONCE and then wash ? My my.

Capetonian
14th Nov 2014, 14:46
And the problem with wearing the same underpants for weeks on end is?Nobody sits or stands near me on public transport. I have yet to discover the downside of that.

Fareastdriver
14th Nov 2014, 17:07
You can save a bit of cash by only wearing anything once and then washing it. The main advantage is that you can do a cold water wash as your body oils have not had time to impregnate the clothing. Detergent will work quite happily in cold water and no heat is required to boil off your bodily fluids.

As they are not really dirty only half the normal dose of detergent is required which cancels out the extra cost of electricity driving the drum. Where you save is not having to heat any water up.

Most washing machines in the Far East are cold water only and they have no problem keeping clothes clean.

OFSO
14th Nov 2014, 17:39
they have no problem keeping clothes clean

Is that also related to the fact they mostly wear synthetic fabrics ?

ChrisVJ
14th Nov 2014, 19:04
Mechta

No conflict there. UK fridges are about the size of USA washing machines!

MG23
14th Nov 2014, 20:31
You can save a bit of cash by only wearing anything once and then washing it. The main advantage is that you can do a cold water wash as your body oils have not had time to impregnate the clothing. Detergent will work quite happily in cold water and no heat is required to boil off your bodily fluids.

When I was a kid, I remember reading that, in the future, we'd all wear clothes made from paper, and just throw them away afterwards. Somehow, it never seemed to happen, but it would eliminate the global scourge of leaky washing machines.