PDA

View Full Version : Tough Guy Putin Thinks he can Intimidate Australia

nomorecatering
12th Nov 2014, 06:46
https://au.news.yahoo.com/world/a/25496667/russian-warships-bearing-down-on-australia/

mikedreamer787
12th Nov 2014, 07:35
He's not intimidating Australia - he has another agenda. Read between the lines (and certainly not the lines of some mediocre local media outlet) and why the Kremlin suddenly banned Oz imports earlier this year "out of the blue".

TWT
12th Nov 2014, 07:44
A response to sanctions against Russia ?

I wonder if the US will have a presence off the Oz coast from their Pacific Fleet for the G20 ?

mikedreamer787
12th Nov 2014, 07:54
Tactically of no use TWT, unless China says something it knows it shouldn't.

Buster Hyman
12th Nov 2014, 10:38
I laughed when I saw this. Clearly, he's never heard of the Brisbane line! :rolleyes:

rh200
12th Nov 2014, 10:39
Quote from aus thread I made on the matter.

My thoughts exactly. I see we are sending a couple of ships to shadow, I think thats some half arsed attempt at showing respect. If we really wanted to upset them ,we would just ignore them and laugh when asked about them.

A couple of half baked Russian ships, not sure what the media's on about in a show of force statement. A full American carrier battle group is a show of force, not what Vlads sending.

It must all be for Soviet (oops I mean Russian) home PR consumption. What they got couldn't intimidate Bali. That lot wouldn't even be worth a port call.

nomorecatering
12th Nov 2014, 10:42
How close to warships can civilian planes fly in international waters?

Spotlight
12th Nov 2014, 10:45
There could be submarines as well!:eek:

rh200
12th Nov 2014, 10:49
There could be submarines as well!

Do we care?

Worrals in the wilds
12th Nov 2014, 10:51
They'll get stuck in the Port of Brisbane traffic queue. :{

By the time they've made it past fifteen car carriers, five fuel tankers, one quarantined cruise liner (steer clear of the bilge, cos it's e-coli ugly :yuk: and inhabited by a bunch of elderly TripAdvisor reviewers), a few dopey fishing charters who think they're heading for Scarborough Marina and a rogue kayaker, they'll wish they'd stayed at home. :}

Fliegenmong
12th Nov 2014, 10:55
What a dreadful embarrassment to the Nation is the inexperienced Abbott....makes you cringe, really it does....."I'm going to 'shirtfront' him"....oh dear....:O

An utter light weight on the International stage, entirely out of his depth....and what's worse....it shows!

I've no idea of the capabilities of 4 Russian Naval vessels parked just off shore in International waters.....maybe TA could tow them to Nauru, and Scotty could muffle the ever compliant media by stating it is for 'Operational purposes' :D:D

Oh, come on now, you have to laugh......it's a coping mechanism for the comical ineptitude of these one trick ponies.....:D :ugh: :{

rh200
12th Nov 2014, 11:15
What a dreadful embarrassment to the Nation is the inexperienced Abbott

Where did you get that from? last I heard that a lot of nations are actually impressed that there's actually a western leader who will stand up to Putin.

racedo
12th Nov 2014, 11:30
So Russia in keeping with previous G20 summits is sending some Naval Vessels to where a G20 summit is taking place.

A Cruiser, a Destroyer and 2 logistics ship.

Is this news channel, owned by Ruper Murdoch as it make The Sun in the Uk look high brow.

The comments "that they have never sent so many", may have something to do with the fact that Australia really is a long way from rest of Civilisation.

Ethel the Aardvark
12th Nov 2014, 11:36
the Peter Sellars movie ' the mouse that roared' comes to mind.
Abbott is a complete di#kheed but we all deep down know that don't we!

Blacksheep
12th Nov 2014, 11:45
Judging by the overreaction to Russia placing ships (with their medical and communication facilities) nearby while their President is in a foreign country, I'd say that Putin has succeeded in intimidating Australia. :}

The US President usually has a carrier battle group nearby when he's in foreign parts but nobody seems to be intimidated by that. When President Clinton was in Brunei, HM The Sultan popped over in his helicopter with President Clinton for a visit and a guided tour of the ship. He likes to have friends who carry a big stick.

Fliegenmong
12th Nov 2014, 12:20
Where did you get that from?

Oh RH...It's for domestic consumption....a compliant media sees to that!! Putin, and a lot of the rest of the Global populace regards TA with great disdain....well the few people who know where Austria is at least...

As Racedo says...

So Russia in keeping with previous G20 summits is sending some Naval Vessels to where a G20 summit is taking place.

A Cruiser, a Destroyer and 2 logistics ship.

Is this news channel, owned by Ruper Murdoch as it make The Sun in the Uk look high brow.

Even your mate 'Andu' was mortified by the 'Shirtfront' utterance from the dreadfully inexperienced and woefully inept abbott....

rgbrock1
12th Nov 2014, 12:42
TWT wrote:

I wonder if the US will have a presence off the Oz coast from their Pacific Fleet for the G20 ?

Doesn't the US Navy's 7th Fleet have their own docks at Brisbane? I believe they do.

rgbrock1
12th Nov 2014, 12:44
Fliegenmong wrote:

What a dreadful embarrassment to the Nation is the inexperienced Abbott....makes you cringe, really it does.

I don't think so. I think Mr. Abbot is one of the few Western heads of state that don't lick Putin's shoes. At least he appears to stand up to the Emperor Putin.

Ancient Mariner
12th Nov 2014, 12:48
So what's new? Little Norway has been shadowing Russian navy vessels and aircrafts passing along our borders since the end of WWII. At least we try, not so easy when your vessels is a re-painted old whaler kitted out with a pea shooter and maxing out at 15 knots. The Russkies just puffed out some more smoke and were gone.
A bit embarrassing it was, back in oh......ummm....'72?
Per

Buster Hyman
12th Nov 2014, 13:16
Never mind Fleigs, he's just running Domestic agenda's on International events..."factual" quotes like this give him away;
Putin, and a lot of the rest of the Global populace regards TA with great disdain....

I laughed when he said he'd shirtfront him. Clearly bluster, but I do hope you didn't choke on your Frappe, Soy Moccachino! :rolleyes:

Fliegenmong
12th Nov 2014, 13:17
At least he appears to stand up to the Emperor Putin.

You are correct..the compliant MSM led by Uncle Rupert ensures that...."He appears to stand up"

If he truly had the courage of his convictions he would have refused entry to the country.....the first question put to abbott (increasingly unworthy of a capital letter) after the missile strike on MH317 was along the lines of would you stop him (Putin) attending the BNE G20...knowing he couldn't..the very 'un-statesmanlike' abbott declared he would 'Shirtfront him......show some balls tony!

Even the ghastly Red Witch had a bigger set than TA.... :(

BenThere
12th Nov 2014, 17:09
Actually, not interfering with Putin's attendance is a sign of confidence and strength. The US allows the worst of its enemies' routine access to New York when they attend to United Nations business.

What a dreadful embarrassment to the Nation is the inexperienced Abbott

From my perspective, Mr. Abbott is worthy of respect. Much better than the last two PMs Australia burdened itself with. Rudd and Gillard, I think, were embarrassments, while Abbott is a clear improvement.

racedo
12th Nov 2014, 17:23
Actually, not interfering with Putin's attendance is a sign of confidence and strength. The US allows the worst of its enemies' routine access to New York when they attend to United Nations business.

They cannot actually stop them.

Just like EU travel ban on Mugabe was irrelevant when he was attending Vatican.

con-pilot
12th Nov 2014, 18:01
I wouldn't worry about it too much. The Russian ships are probably low on Vodka and just need to stop by and get some more.

dat581
12th Nov 2014, 18:34
The media are reporting four Russian warships in the Coral Sea but last time I checked neither oilers or oceam going tugs count as warships. Bringing the tug may be a sign the Russians don't have much faith in the reliability of their warships and seems to lower the overall intimidation effect a fair bit. They are a long way from home and in hostile waters if they ate stupid enough to try anything.

BenThere
12th Nov 2014, 18:40
Don't worry. At the height of their military strength in the 1980s, the Russians could never project power. They couldn't even air refuel, hence the Bear was their bomber of necessity.

Today, Russia is a basket case with ICBMs, just like Iran is about to become.

Takan Inchovit
12th Nov 2014, 18:40
The high rises on the Gold coast would look good as they topple over from a pre-invasion 'softening' bombardment. :E

Buster Hyman
12th Nov 2014, 19:26
Good point dat581. I wonder if the Russian AA follow their tanks into battle as well?

GrumpyOldFart
12th Nov 2014, 22:13
I wonder if the Russian AA follow their tanks into battle as well?

I imagine they do, with all that vodka the crews consume.

bosnich71
12th Nov 2014, 22:18
The channel 7 report clearly states that the Russian "Invasion Fleet", (F.F.S. ! ) is in international waters etc.
One could expect the usual Dikheeds on this site to attempt to wind this non event up but from professional "journalists", well the mind boggles.

Ancient Mariner... way back in the 60's the RAF used to station aircraft at Bodo waiting for the ice to melt enough to allow the Russians to escape from their Winter quarters.
Ben.... "the Russians could never project power". Wish we had all known that in West Germany during the 1960s' then I, for one, would not have spent so much time freezing my nuts off on flight lines waiting for them to come over the wire.

John Hill
13th Nov 2014, 01:26
I think it is about time for the story about the carrier group and the light house.;)

parabellum
13th Nov 2014, 01:33
Fliegs - Reading your posts in this thread I do believe that you have been at the sauce again! :)

Dushan
13th Nov 2014, 01:56
Does NZ have the same rule for Soviet, err, Russian Navy as it does for USN?

rh200
13th Nov 2014, 02:28

Of course not, your talking about the country that cut and run during the cold war. Your lucky they hav'nt replaced their union jack in their flag with a hammer and sickle.:E

John Hill
13th Nov 2014, 02:56

Is this something you made up or are you quoting someone?

Andu
13th Nov 2014, 03:00
I think they're about to hold a referendum to replace their current flag with a white fern on a black background.

Let's hope for the Kiwis sake that some *** Arab can't manage to see some words from the Q'uran written in the patterns of the bloody fern or they'l be accused of copying the *** ISIS flag.

West Coast
13th Nov 2014, 03:06
Much like the rest of the world, ISIS will look at NZ and say "meh"

rh200
13th Nov 2014, 03:06
Is this something you made up or are you quoting someone?

I know it can be distracting when a herd wanders by, but try and keep up.:p

West Coast
13th Nov 2014, 03:08
I know it can be distracting when a herd wanders by, but try and sheep up.

There, fixed it for ya, it is John we're talking about.

Dushan
13th Nov 2014, 03:15
I guess our John forgot that his precious little country banned the nuclear powered and nuclear strike-capable USN from its ports.

bosnich71
13th Nov 2014, 08:11
As did Australia when it suited them in the 80s'.... ref. the Royal Navy. But not of course the USN.

rh200
13th Nov 2014, 08:13
Its all solved, climate change.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/world/a/25507479/cold-snap-the-reason-behind-russias-warships/

The official response is that Russia is testing its pacific fleet's range capability, believe it or not, in case it has to do climate change research in the Antarctic.

John Hill
13th Nov 2014, 08:14
The same threats were made to Australia as were made to NZ but Australia maybe took them too much to heart.

reynoldsno1
14th Nov 2014, 00:16
Much like the rest of the world, ISIS will look at NZ and say "meh"
Result! :ok:

rh200
14th Nov 2014, 03:13
Russian pattern of bullying: Abbott (http://www.news.com.au/national/breaking-news/russian-pattern-of-bullying-abbott/story-e6frfku9-1227123118436)

PRIME Minister Tony Abbott has fired a diplomatic broadside at Russia, saying it would find more friends if it tried to be a superpower for peace and freedom instead of trying to recreate lost glories.

You go there Tony, we will see the budgie snugglers out next.:p

John Hill
14th Nov 2014, 03:16
You Skippies have nothing to fear as being faithful friends and allies you can be sure Obama will rush to your aid if Putin takes off his shirt.

rh200
14th Nov 2014, 03:23
You Skippies have nothing to fear as being faithful friends and allies you can be sure Obama will rush to your aid if Putin takes off his shirt.

Who's afraid, there's sweet F#$ all that Russia can or will do practically to us in the current climate. What is good though, is the entertaining time watching all the media headlines. "Russian fleet bearing down on us". Where pissing ourselves laughing at the headlines.

I see even CNN was getting into the act earlier with the whole Russian thing in general.

Dark Knight
14th Nov 2014, 04:51

The one thing we Skippies are well and truly sure of is that Obama will not be rushing down to save us as Putin well and truly has the Community Organiser's skinned.

Obama's bluff has been called and he folded; totally outplayed.

If you also happen to believe the unmitigated crap totally lacking in common sense purveyed by the Australian media then this brings dumbness to a totally new level.

Fortunately there are many US top brass who understand the game but they have yet to get the message through or are presently missing in action.

We also understand there will not be any assistance of consequence from across the Tasman sea.

John Hill
14th Nov 2014, 05:25
Have you asked for assistance across the Tasman?

Do you want me to clear the sheep off the strip at Te Pirita?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RNZAF_Station_Te_Pirita

If Australia had fallen in WWII and the remnants had fled across the Tasman the airfield at Te Pirita may well have been the site of the last battle of the war.

Dark Knight
14th Nov 2014, 05:29
We do not need to: as British PM David Cameron said today and our US Cousins fully understand, when the chips are down we do not need to be asked, we are there asking how can we help with shovel in hand!

Reference the sheep we are sure you will be behind them `herding' them off.

John Hill
14th Nov 2014, 05:45
Yeah, shovel in hand, we know how that goes....!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT6oZqYij8U

No trouble clearing the sheep, a couple of low passes in the Auster is usually all it takes.

Hempy
14th Nov 2014, 08:22
Admission to a PhD program in Australia requires applicants to demonstrate capacity to undertake research in the proposed field of study. The base requirement is a Bachelor's degree with either first-class or upper second-class honours. Research Master's degrees and coursework Master's degrees with a 25% research component are usually considered equivalent. It is also possible for research Master's degree students to 'upgrade' to PhD candidature after demonstrating sufficient progress.

The credit points attached to the PhD are all in the product of the research, which is usually a minimum 80,000 word thesis that makes a significant new contribution to the field. The PhD thesis is sent to external examiners who are experts in the field of research and who have not been involved in the work.

'Where pissing ourselves'....I'm still intrigued

rh200
14th Nov 2014, 08:56
'Where pissing ourselves'....I'm still intrigued

Yaaaaawn, do you have some sort of point Hempy?

By the way, some expansion on your contribution

which is usually a minimum 80,000 word thesis that makes a significant new contribution to the field. The PhD thesis is sent to external examiners who are experts in the field of research and who have not been involved in the work.

Note the word usually. Note the subjective word significant, something which is abused regularly. External examiners, what a joke, usually worked out by the supervisor and along the lines of someone they know, bit hard to avoid in some disciplines.

The awarding of the PhD is by the university and doesn't have to be in accordance to the examiners advice, though unusual.

Stanwell
15th Nov 2014, 02:22
Umm, I'm still trying to see the relevance of the above to this thread.
Perhaps it's just another of your brain-farts, Hempy.

I await enlightenment.