PDA

View Full Version : Where do these crazy ideas come from?

Seldomfitforpurpose
11th Nov 2014, 21:09
Madness on a plate

BBC News - Pub chain criticised for calorific doughnut burger (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-30000934)

the Pub chain is not exactly up market but if this is catering to a niche market then we are in trouble..........

Fox3WheresMyBanana
11th Nov 2014, 21:11
Which is the crazy idea?
That it's on the menu, that it's ordered, or that it's criticised?

con-pilot
11th Nov 2014, 21:26
It should be banned!!!!!!!!!!

Only tofu burgers should be served anywhere in Britain!!!!!!!!!!!

“We know what is better for you than you do.”

:p

By the way, I wouldn't eat one of those things if they paid me.

superq7
11th Nov 2014, 21:42
Hmmm looks yummy I'd eat one.

Checkboard
11th Nov 2014, 21:50
If it had one patty of beef, instead of two, and one doughnut split instead of two ... ;)

fenland787
11th Nov 2014, 21:59
That it's on the menu, that it's ordered, or that it's criticised?

The latter - not like you could mistake it for the 'healthy option' is it?

G-CPTN
11th Nov 2014, 22:03
pub chain Hungry Horse - so some justification, I suppose, however I fail to see why there needs to be 8.2 grammes of salt (never mind the 13 grammes for the burrito).

tony draper
11th Nov 2014, 22:12
These things are generally thought up with a view to a little free publicity,and they often succeed. :rolleyes:
Frinsance I had never in my life heard of a pub chain called Hungry Horse until I read this thread

Stanwell
12th Nov 2014, 02:45
. You got it in one there, Tony.
Mind you, there are quite a few people around infected with the Stupidity Virus (see separate thread), so it'll probably sell well.

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2014, 05:30
" the Pub chain is not exactly up market but if this is catering to a niche market then we are in trouble

I take it you don't go out very much these days in your retirement......

There are plenty of outlets offering very similar "death on a plate for those who want to emulate a truffling pig " deals around.

Stick to the ham and cucumber sandwiches and you'll be fine. :p

mikedreamer787
12th Nov 2014, 07:47
There's a place I used to frequent during overnights in Kuala L called The Hungry Hog and was run by an old Chinese guy and his fam. The 2 star restaraunt had the highest calorie yet yummiest dishes double-filled with every conceivable meat and accoutrement that would make your Hungry horse look like a health-nut store. Plus he served every kind of beer.

Apparently he's still going strong but had to tone things down a bit, since a bunch of local wives went berserk when their blokes started getting fairly obese as regular patrons. But I think one can still request the old menu.

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Nov 2014, 09:02
" the Pub chain is not exactly up market but if this is catering to a niche market then we are in trouble

I take it you don't go out very much these days in your retirement......

There are plenty of outlets offering very similar "death on a plate for those who want to emulate a truffling pig " deals around.

Stick to the ham and cucumber sandwiches and you'll be fine. :p

57 today so off for a day out in Bath with Mrs L, neither death on a plate or cucumber sarnies will feature, but some good real ale (is there any bad real ale?) will certainly be on the menu :ok:

sirwa69
12th Nov 2014, 09:35
Thats over 8 pints of beer or 3 bottles of wine you could have instead, Hic!

TURIN
12th Nov 2014, 09:38
the indulgent occasional treat such as our new Double Donut Burger.

Er, what is it about this that is 'a treat'? :ouch:

flying lid
12th Nov 2014, 11:49
http://www.foodsofengland.co.uk/wigan%20kebab.jpg

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2014, 17:04
"today so off for a day out in Bath

Ah, well in that case your real ale will cost twice, if not three times as much in the most overpriced, rip-off City in the UK.

12th Nov 2014, 21:54
At less than 2000 calories, you could have 5 of them before you get close to the "quadruple bypass burger served at the Heart attack grill in Vegas.

http://www.supersizedmeals.com/food/images/articles/20061215-Heart_Attack_Grill_9.jpg

chiglet
12th Nov 2014, 22:06
I'll have that with a diet coke please

con-pilot
12th Nov 2014, 22:25
At less than 2000 calories, you could have 5 of them before you get close to the "quadruple bypass burger served at the Heart attack grill in Vegas.

How in the hell could anyone eat that damn thing?

I mean literally, like how can you fit it in your mouth?

I'll pass, thank you very much. :p

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Nov 2014, 22:30
"today so off for a day out in Bath

Ah, well in that case your real ale will cost twice, if not three times as much in the most overpriced, rip-off City in the UK.

Guess you have not been out much in Bath as you could not be further from the truth :ok:

meadowrun
12th Nov 2014, 23:29
Wots a non-gourmet red onion please?

con-pilot
12th Nov 2014, 23:55
Wots a non-gourmet red onion please?

One wot you dropped on the floor. :p

Don't have a clue really, never heard of a gourmet red onion.

mikedreamer787
13th Nov 2014, 00:45
Every fastidious epicurean burger consumer knows its those fattening
high calorie tomatoes, red onions and lettuce wot does the damage!

Krystal n chips
13th Nov 2014, 05:17
" Guess you have not been out much in Bath as you could not be further from the truth

Consistency is one of your well established traits and thus as always, you are only partially correct.

No, I haven't been out in Bath recently......so far, partially correct.

However, last year and with plenty of notice, I was invited to my godsons wedding here.....you, and others will be appalled to learn I was allowed in lacking as I do in education and social graces....

Wedding Venue Bristol | Ceremonies and Receptions | Priston Mill (http://www.pristonmill.co.uk/home)

So, one required a room for the night. This was an interesting exercise in discovering blatant profiteering. Both Premier Inn and Travel Lodge wanted somewhere around the 80 - 90 + for a room....B n B's came in marginally lower and other hotels just required a mortgage.

Found somewhere about 7 miles from the venue, relatively cheap...as in around the 50 mark....and then started looking for a taxi there and back....for the 7 miles, I was quoted from different firms...a mere 40..each way !......couples who did stay in Bath, a mere 6 miles away were even more impressed to be charged...60....each way.

Had I taken a room / taxi, this would have meant an outlay of between 150 -200 +...... for one night.

This is possibly where we differ as to what constitutes a reasonable price......and profiteering rip off.

In the event, I came up with an alternative which only cost me 10....it did involve some personal inconvenience, albeit minimal, but saved me the unwarranted expense.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Nov 2014, 05:37
That pic is misleading and could be construed as false advertising, Mr 419.

Three or four fried eggs they missed.:E

Yummm...!:ok: