PDA

View Full Version : I now feel compelled to make a negative comment.

Loose rivets
11th Nov 2014, 20:05
Positive. Great. Nice idea. Full marks. But WAIT . . .

Officers in the city of Prince Albert, in the central province of Saskatchewan, will dish out the "positive tickets" to youngsters who are seen crossing the road safely or picking up litter, the CBC news website reports. The rewards on offer include free hamburgers (and lots of other stuff),

Oh, my. Folk from Canadia just don't get it. If you're good, we'll stuff a hamburger in yer face. Well done, fat kid.

Where has the concept of being good for good's sake gone?

I know. Lots of lovely kids out there, it's the clowns that make these statements that are barmy.

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2014, 20:08
Loose wrote:

Where has the concept of being good for good's sake gone?

Nowadays it has a price. As you pointed out.

ExSp33db1rd
11th Nov 2014, 21:56
Nowadays it has a price. As you pointed out.

World's Gone Mad.

tony draper
11th Nov 2014, 22:39
Religion used to take care of the reward punishment for behavior thing in a sort of deferred manner anyway, but we no longer have that.
The only religion doing well at the mo seems seems to have it arse about face though, the nastier viler bastard you are the more your imaginary friend welcomes you into the happy hunting ground.
Apparently
:rolleyes:

ChrisVJ
12th Nov 2014, 05:25
We were always having the "real reward' vs 'virtuous reward' debate with other parents. They would complain that their kids were unmotivated and when we said that we bribed our kids to do well ('rewarded') they would tell us they wanted their kids to 'do well for their own sake.' Difference between hope and reality, perhaps.

Our kids are grown up now and seem perfectly able to be 'self motivated.'

probes
12th Nov 2014, 07:16
Karen Pryor ("Don't Shoot the Dog") says it's even possible to self-motivate, like: I'll finish this chapter and then... - as the reward has to be really motivating, the person him/herself knows best. (...and then wander around in PPrune :E).
Usually it's just chocolate, of course. Or whiskey. :cool:

Pinky the pilot
12th Nov 2014, 09:36
Usually it's just chocolate, of course. Or whiskey.

Oh I dunno probes; I suspect that even when tempted with the finest single malt that even the most respected con-pilot would draw the line somewhere within the bounds of probity.:D:ok:

As for me; well..it would really have to be a genuinely outstanding red but.......:E::hmm::E:eek: