PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans Day - USA

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2014, 11:59
To all my fellow American Veterans* I offer you this virtual salute. Thank you for your service.

*BenThere, West Coast, 11Fan, SASless (wherever you are), chuks, Brickhistory and everyone else I might have missed in naming.

http://blog.cvsflags.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/VeteransDay.jpg

11Fan
11th Nov 2014, 12:38
Thanks RG. Back at ya ya old grunt.

To my brothers and sisters in arms, Hand Salute.

brickhistory
11th Nov 2014, 14:10
Cheers, ladies and gents.

If you put on the uniform, you served your nation more than 99% ever will.

Stay safe for those still out there.

Tankertrashnav
11th Nov 2014, 14:18
Remembrance seems to be going from strength to strength - far more so than when I was younger. This year it has been huge in the UK and many other countries in Europe because of the added significance of it being the centenary of the start of the Great War. We've had a double reminder this year with the main events taking place on Sunday, and many more today, with the 2 minutes silence at 11am.

So we join with you in remembering the fallen of our two nations, and all the others including those who were our enemies.

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2014, 14:24
Tanker...

Our day of "remembrance" is not today, Veteran's Day. Our day of remembrance is Memorial Day which is observed in May. Today is in honor of ALL Veterans who put on a uniform and stood ready to go into harm's way, or actually did. Each and every last one of them, living or not. :ok:

Tankertrashnav
11th Nov 2014, 14:42
Thanks for the correction - the confusion comes from the coincidence of the dates.

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2014, 14:49
To be fair, Tanker, our Veterans Day did start off as a day to remember the dead of WWI. But in 1945 it was decided, at the behest of various WWII Veterans that not only should their service in WWII be included but the service of ALL US servicemen and women.

Therefore, in 1954 Congress passed a resolution observing 11 November as Veterans Day, a day to honor all Veterans.

Again, Memorial Day is observed in May to honor all those servicemen and women who have died for their country.