PDA

View Full Version : Bankstown/Melbourne flights

BNEA320
11th Nov 2014, 00:38
No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au (http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/south-west/plans-for-bankstownmelbourne-commercial-flights-welladvanced-says-flysmart/story-fngr8hxh-1227118128887)

It seems this might actually happen.

Ski resorts also mentioned. Does that mean Cooma or Mt Hotham who have both lost all flights commercial flights in last 12 months.

It says Bankstown hasn't had scheduled commercial services since late 1980's. Who did they & to where ?

onehitwonder
11th Nov 2014, 01:12
34 seat Saab or 36 seat dash? Why not a 37 Jet ?

BNEA320
11th Nov 2014, 02:05
if you mean Jetgo jets think they are too heavy. They are not under the magic 20,000 kgs !!!

Only jet can think of that is 30 something seats & under 20,000kgs MTOW is a Dornier 328 jet but don't think there are any in Australia or New Zealand.

VH-Cheer Up
16th Nov 2014, 21:47
Only jet can think of that is 30 something seats & under 20,000kgs MTOW is a Dornier 328 jet but don't think there are any in Australia or New Zealand.Not sure it's the only option but certainly is a good aircraft that would also be feasible Moorabbin - Bankstown to provide the south-eastern suburb dwellers with business in Sydney western suburbs a viable alternative to the Tullamarine run. Relatively STOL capabilities, quiet easily serviced PW306s and comfortable cabin.

Can pick up good used airframes in the US under $4M eg here (http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?s-type=aircraft&make=Fairchild+Dornier&model=328JET&s-seq=2&s-lvl=2). Can't think why nobody has thought of it before. Oh, wait...

onehitwonder
17th Nov 2014, 01:53
What happened to jetgo and their Dornier 328's? I mean the early early days...

Seaeagle109
17th Nov 2014, 06:37
Whilst wishing flySmart well(any additional slots for pilots/FAs are good), I think whoever actually operates the airframes, and flySmart, are going to be in for a social and traditional media flogging.

Having operated business jets into YSBK for a couple of years, and despite briefing the pax that we'd often have smaller aircraft operating in close proximity due to the multiple parallel runways and that we'd be visually separating with that traffic, we'd still get comments along the lines off "those other aircraft were really close/ OMG I thought they'd hit us/ etc".

Imagine what the standard pax/ frightened flyers/ media, or those who love to make any experience that they have into a drama, will be posting on the social and traditional media.

Personally, I've had stories told to me about near misses at YSSY by people who know SFA about aviation but love to have a drama to spice up their travel stories. They tend to be rather crestfallen when you explain to them that the "aircraft flying in formation and about to crash into us" are actually standard parallel ops in YSSY.

I hope to be proven wrong but I reckon, standby for plenty of hysteria with no substance about the scary flights.

thorn bird
17th Nov 2014, 07:35
Sea eagle,
not enough traffic left at Bankstown to create that problem.

onehitwonder
25th Nov 2014, 10:50
might be something in it