PDA

View Full Version : Log On to XP entering characters using Unicode

Pelikal
10th Nov 2014, 15:24
Okay, I have an old XP laptop, it's sole purpose is to control my Microtek scanner. I use a win7 machine to connect to the Internet, just wanted to make that clear.

I log on to this XP Toshiba as administrator with a password (I am the only user).

Now, one of the keys on the laptop no longer works (cap R) so I can't log on to the machine at all. My first thought was to try and change the password as I have in the past 'got into' an XP machine and changed the password but I can't remember how I did it and have lost my notes.

I've tried a number of suggestions by doing a search for forgotten/change password (although I haven't actually forgotten mine) but they seem to depend on there not being a password for administrator. I don't have a password reset disk or any other disks for that matter. I wouldn't have minded doing a clean XP install and just loading the scanner software.

I was getting nowhere but then had a thought. On the Win 7 HP I often use the Character Map for special characters or simply pressing and holding Alt followed by the 4 digit number for common ones I use.

However, for cap R there isn't a keystroke ie Alt+•••• (I suppose it's expected one has a fully functioning keyboard!!). There is a Unicode string U+0052 indicated. I have no idea how to use it and whether or not it could be used to enter the character. I would really appreciate some help on this. If I could log on I know I could simply change the password using characters that I know work. Before I try more extreme measures I would like to try this. If it doesn't work then I guess it's a hack job....

Thanks in advance.

jimtherev
10th Nov 2014, 16:12
<alt> 0082 works on mine...

Pelikal
10th Nov 2014, 16:38
jim, thanks for that.

I see <ALT>0082 works in a document. I was hoping it might work on the XP log on screen but it doesn't.:{

mixture
10th Nov 2014, 16:43
Pelikal,

Sorry, have to do my bit, its for your own good and the good of the internet community.....

Do the world a favour and get rid of XP, stop clinging on. :cool:

Plus only a limited number of people are going to talk XP on PPRuNe these days.... you'll likely find those of us with proper technical knowledge have already withdrawn our support from XP users on PPRuNe (I've definitely said no XP support from me, and I'm pretty sure I've seen posts of that nature from Saab and the bloke from Bracknell, maybe others too).

Pelikal
10th Nov 2014, 17:12
mixture, I'm not having a bitch with you, not my style but I thought I made it clear this machine is a driver for my scanner ONLY. I regret to say I somehow expected such a response from your good self.:E

There are no drivers from Microtek for this scanner for Win7. For your information, I'm quite happy with Win7, I'm not one who is hanging on to XP regardless.

Jhieminga
10th Nov 2014, 17:19
Can you plug in an external keyboard and use that? Some systems will recognise it during boot and let you use that.

mixture
10th Nov 2014, 17:50
I thought I made it clear this machine is a driver for my scanner ONLY.

To be honest, I didn't read your post because as I said, no support being offered for Windows XP on this side irrespective of problems, because there won't be any updates to fix them !

So there's no internet connection to that laptop ? No Wifi ? No LAN ? :hmm:

Its not only the security concerns of course, its the general stability issues related to bugs you can't solve because there are no updates.

All I shall say is "good luck" and leave you in peace.

Pelikal
10th Nov 2014, 18:26
mixture, fair enough, I respect your stance.

Jhieminga, that could be worth a try.:ok:

le Pingouin
10th Nov 2014, 18:32
I'll vote for giving a USB keyboard a try - simple and there's a fairly good chance it'll work.

Saab Dastard
10th Nov 2014, 19:04
How can "Cap R" not work? I can understand R not working, or indeed the Cap-Shift Key, but Cap R only? :confused::confused: Does it work with CapsLock on?

Anyhow, you can always use Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor (http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/) to boot with and reset the admin password to blank, then change to something not containing R (or r, or Caps)!

SD

Pelikal
10th Nov 2014, 19:41
Well actually just tried my Apple extended keyboard and it didn't work.

SD, it isn't just the Cap R!! lc or Caps lock don't work. Sorry to bother you fine peeps. It's a buggah living in the (relatively) dark ages. I think I'll go hibernate and sulk.:{

Booglebox
10th Nov 2014, 19:45
Pelikal, you MUST use the number pad to input Alt-code unicode characters. Normal number row below F-keys won't work. There's probably an Fn (function) key plus one of the F-keys to get num lock to turn on.
Then, you'll be able to use the number pad, which is probably indicated by small blue numbers underneath the letters to the right side of the keyboard. :ok:

Or, just boot into Safe Mode, login with the included administrator account, and reset your password :E

le Pingouin
11th Nov 2014, 05:09
FWIW I tried an el cheapo USB keyboard on an older HP laptop running Vista (shhh!) and it works. What make and model laptop? Did you plug it in before booting the laptop?

Bushfiva
11th Nov 2014, 05:20
Too late for this party, but ctrl-U should bring up the on-screen keyboard, then it's down to you and Mr Mouse.

Pelikal
11th Nov 2014, 08:54
Good morning, just been over the latest suggestions, thanks for those.

Firstly, I tried turning on the numeric overlay and thought I was in luck as the indicator lit but the character combination didn’t work. Ctrl-U didn’t work either.

Le Penguin suggested I may have plugged in the keyboard after switching on, so tried it again – nope. Then…………I came to the awful realisation that, in the evening murk, I had been plugging in the Apple mouse and not the keyboard:ugh::ugh::ugh: I’m all booted up now, so fettling the password shouldn't be an issue.

I’ll let you all have a laugh at my expense:E:(.

Booglebox
11th Nov 2014, 14:51
running Vista (shhh!)
Vista is still supported until 2017 (and incidentally Server 2003 until June next year), so you have a while until our emulsive friend starts whinging at you :}

MidlandDeltic
11th Nov 2014, 19:43
Pelikal :

There are no drivers from Microtek for this scanner for Win7.

I had a similar problem with an Epson scanner when forced to upgrade to W8 - and Epson were **** all use. However, I found Hamrick VueScan, which had drivers for both of my scanners (and produces better scans than the Epson software did!). Site is here : VueScan Scanner Software for Windows, Mac OS X and Linux (http://www.hamrick.com/) There is a large list of Microtek scanners, so yours may well be among them. No connection, other than as a satisfied user.

Regards

MD

Pelikal
11th Nov 2014, 21:30
MD, thanks for the note.

I do recall downloading the free trial as my scanner is supported. I lack funds so could not sample the advanced features. The basic features weren't enough for me. But you've reminded on that one.

At least I'm up and running now with what I have which was my goal.

Cheers!

ExSp33db1rd
12th Nov 2014, 02:42
I found Hamrick VueScan,

I've used VueScan for many a year now, on an ancient Acer scanner, wasn't broke so why fix it, but when the computer broke there was no way of finding the correct Acer driver, so off I went to VueScan. The only bad point being that they printed their name on the bottom of each page, but I could live with that.

When the next computer broke I free-loaded VueScan, but then found that they had printed their name as a watermark banner across every page on the latest version, and there was no way I could then download the old version and I clearly couldn't live with that ( it wasn't broke, so why did they fix it ?) so I bit the bullet and sent them money, which got rid of the watermark.

Then my computer had to be re-rigged to a previous date to get rid of a "nasty", and the date was before I had paid for VueScan, so it didn't recognose my "licence" so I was back to square one, and re-purchased it but wrote to them and pointed out that I was really paying twice over, and would like a refund of the original purchase, or if that was not acceptable then at least an upgrade me to their "Pro" contract.

That happened, has cost me a double fee - not an arm and a leg, just a few fingers - but I'm delighted with the operation of the "Pro" programme.

Well done VueScan and another satisified customer.

Pelikal
12th Nov 2014, 10:18
Ex, I seem to recall there was another thread some time ago where VueScan was discussed, there were many positive views of it. I did download the trial on my Win7 machine but never got going with it, can't remember why.

Anyhow, I've decided to try it again under Win7. Clicked on my scanner make/model on the Hamrick site and it advises that I need a WIA driver for Windows 7 and provides a link. The link leads to Page Not Found:ugh:. I'm left with trying to find a suitable WIA driver for my Microtek Scanmaker 4900.

Can't find one on the Microtek site and am now looking elsewhere. I wonder whether the XP one will work.

Maybe this was my previous hang-up and why I resorted to my XP machine.

Regards

Edit, found on a site:

To all here who want WIA drivers..

WIA drivers HAVE TO BE provided by the DEVICE manufacturer in order that a scanner will work with the 'Windows Image Acquisition' platform which Microsoft created for use in ME, XP and beyond.

If the DEVICE manufacturer does NOT release a WIA driver, the specific DEVICE will NEVER be able to work with the 'Windows Image Acquisition' platform.

So that's it then.

mixture
12th Nov 2014, 16:21
Pelikal,

I assume you've tried installing/running the Microtek software in comparability mode ?

Whilst in certain scenarios stubbornness and persistence can be admirable... one does wonder why you're bothering fighting when you can pick up a brand new, current model scanner with comparable specs to your vintage Microtek for £40 !

Your Microtek 4900 was 2400dpi .... that's cheap entry-level these days.... if we go bottom fishing for the cheapest stuff on the market, the Canon CanoScan LiDE 120, HP ScanJet 200 and HP ScanJet 300 are all less than £50 and will all probably be equivalent or better than your old Microtek in terms of specs.

Nudge up to sub-£60 and you've got the Epson Perfection V37 which is double the resolution of your Microtek !

Pelikal
12th Nov 2014, 17:06
mixture, glad you called. Spent the afternoon p!ssing in the wind, to be honest. I can't run in compatibility mode (W7 Home Premium). No drivers for the (ancient) 4900 etc etc.

Being very short of funds, I just thought I would have one last crack at this set-up. Whilst in certain scenarios stubbornness and persistence can be admirable... now I think I'm being just bloody stupid.

Fed up with pissing about with this XP Toshiba anyway. Only used it to run the scanner. I really would like to be back on a Mac based set-up but I can't see that happening anytime soon.

I'll take note of your recommendations, thanks for your time and effort.:ok:

jimtherev
12th Nov 2014, 21:52
I don't swear much, but using the word 'Vista' is permissible in extremis.
I've been helped out a couple of times by trying a Vista driver for a W7 app.
Worth a try?

Pelikal
13th Nov 2014, 16:39
jimtherev, thanks but without the specific WIA drivers I can't see this working.:confused: I think I'll call this query closed.

Cheers to all.

jimjim1
23rd Nov 2014, 08:36
This surprised greatly me since it is a BIOS function built into the very lowest level of the machine, how could it not work? -

So I just tried it and it does work here - at least from the lock screen.

Hard to remember to do it right on a laptop with the weird numeric overlay (I kept pressing [Fn]xxx) but when I finally operated it correctly it worked. I have never bothered with the leading zeros [ALT]65 gets upper case "A".

Oh, and it is DECIMAL, not hex. R is [Alt]82.

The other approach would be to use one of the magic password deleting/changing/(possibly now recovering) boot CDs. I have done this a number of times and it works brilliantly. I have used cd080802 for years. I guess this won't work for the new "secure boot" versions of Windows.

Hmmm must take great care with passwords.

There are some listed here.
How to Figure Out Why Your PC is Beeping (Beep Codes) (http://pcsupport.about.com/od/nonworkingcomponent/ht/beepcodestb.htm)

Pelikal
24th Nov 2014, 09:39
jimjim1,
[Alt]xxx not workign for login
This surprised greatly me since it is a BIOS function built into the very lowest level of the machine, how could it not work?Thanks for info. As I said, I'm sorted now but interesting to know that it should've worked. Cheers:ok:.