PDA

View Full Version : Pink Floyd - The Endless River

rgbrock1
10th Nov 2014, 14:17
If you haven't already known, Pink Floyd released their last album, 'The Endless River', today. According to David Gilmour this is absolutely their last release they will ever do.

'The Endless River' comprises 21 "songs", really pieces, which are basically outtakes from the '93-'94 recording of 'The Division Bell'.

There are no lyrics in this album to be heard other than Gilmour's on the final track. Very atmospheric/ambient to say the least but still with that "Floyd sound".

If you haven't given it a listen, and Pink Floyd's music floats your boat, I would highly recommend doing so as it really is a fitting epilogue for this band.

superq7
10th Nov 2014, 14:25
Pink Floyd are one of my favourite bands, I never tire of listening to their albums especially Dark Side Of The Moon.

rgbrock1
10th Nov 2014, 14:32
the first album I ever bought (vinyl of course) was Pink Floyd's 'Meddle' back in 1971. I've been a life-long fan since. This last album, 'The Endless River' is superb, IMHO. Some really good musicianship by all involved and some really amazing guitar work by Gilmour.

treadigraph
10th Nov 2014, 14:33
Waiting for my pre-ordered copy to arrive... review in the Daily Telegraph last week gave a big thumbs up.

Such a shame that the band can't do a final tour with Rick Wright on keyboards...

My first album was Dark Side of the Moon around 1978 - third was Wish You Were Here and I think Animals and Meddle followed very soon after.

ArthurR
10th Nov 2014, 15:54
I have all the Records (CD's) that Floyd released, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed by this album.

rgbrock1
10th Nov 2014, 16:02
ArthurR:

Music, like anything else in the arts, is a matter of subjective taste:that's a given. But I'm curious as to why you didn't like the new album?

Andy_S
10th Nov 2014, 16:21
I have all the Records (CD's) that Floyd released, but I have to admit I was a little disappointed by this album.

I was underwhelmed by the vocal track when it was premiered on Radio 2; pleasant but nothing special.

I've not listened to The Endless River yet, but I fear I will be disappointed. It is, after all, largely reworkings of material which came out of jamming sessions for The Division Bell, but which wasn't considered good enough for the album itself.

I always thought The Division Bell had the feel of a 'closure' album; the final track of that album, High Hopes, referenced their origins in Cambridge both lyrically and in the accompanying promo video. It was almost like saying that they'd been on an extraordinary journey but had come full circle and finally ended up back where they started.

It would be a real shame if The Endless River compromised their legacy. It's not as if they need the money.

B Fraser
10th Nov 2014, 18:08
I played it through a couple of times today and I was underwhelmed. The album still has to present me with any real defining moments but a few more plays may sort it out.

Where can I get a copy of "The Big Spliff" ? Floyd fans will know what I mean.

rgbrock1
10th Nov 2014, 18:21
B Fraser:

From my understanding 'The Big Spliff' is not available anywhere, nor was it ever released outside the recording studios, but the music does appear on 'The Endless River' as well as on 'The Orb.'

tdracer
11th Nov 2014, 00:52
I also consider Pink Floyd to be one of my all time favorite groups. I have an especial fondness for their 'La Carrera Panamericana'
http://smile.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-Carrera-Panamericana-VHS/dp/6302427355/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1415669495&sr=8-2&keywords=la+carrera+panamericana

It follows Nick Mason and David Gilmore as they run the "La Carrera Panamericana" road race across Mexico, set to Pink Floyd music. It combines two of my favorite things - Pink Floyd music and auto racing :ok:
Unfortunately it's never been released on DVD - I have it on a laser disc (and it's one of primary reasons I'm hanging on to my laser disc player). The music is based on "Momentary Lapse of Reason".
A few years ago, Sirius satellite radio was doing a special 'Pink Floyd' channel while I was doing a real long drive - it was interesting since I'd heard all the songs before, but not necessarily the actual performance/arrangement.
They played what was apparently an early version of "Money" - it was vocals with a single acoustic guitar as accompaniment. Without all the complex harmonies and rhythms, it was rather boring :rolleyes:

B Fraser
11th Nov 2014, 08:34
I have the album playing in the background as I work and the subwoofer is cranked up. I must check the walls for cracks !

I like it a bit more today compared with yesterday. Had the solo piano version of "Us And Them" been included then it would have been a very poignant tribute album. That piece is one of the finest I have ever listened to. The die hard fans can find it on one of the extra CDs in the immersion edition of DSOTM.

IB4138
11th Nov 2014, 09:05
You lot are lucky.

The river people were supposed to deliver my copy on release day, but it is still "in transit" :mad:

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2014, 11:55
IB4138:

If you have an iTunes account you can listen to it for 2 days only, streaming, for free.

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2014, 11:57
B Fraser:

Glad you like it more today than yesterday. I have a feeling this album will grow on many people. Especially us old Floyd fans. I have it on right now, here at work, playing through my Audio-Technica head phones. The production is impeccable.

treadigraph
11th Nov 2014, 12:18
I got my downlaod last night, haven't had a chance to listen yet.

As today has already been a series of work-related irritations, I reckon I'll run a bath when I get home, pipe the music through, relax and listen without distraction (apart from topping up the hot water).

B Fraser, have only heard that piano solo from "Us and Them" on a couple of PF documentaries - it was originally composed as part of the score for Zabriskie Point and was rejected by Antonioni... It is great.

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2014, 14:51
So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

B Fraser
11th Nov 2014, 16:41
I have a pair of SONOS play 5s and a sub in my home office, the dedicated headphone amp and Sennheiser HD 650 cans will be tried on Friday.

Worth looking forward to !

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2014, 16:48
B Fraser:

Very impressive setup. Must sound real nice. :ok:

treadigraph
11th Nov 2014, 21:15
Well, I like it! :ok:

TWT
11th Nov 2014, 21:26
'And death is a long cold rest'

From 'Free Four' (Obscured by Clouds)

stumpey
12th Nov 2014, 01:24
Guess like most of the other Cd's I'd like, I'll have to wait till there a quid or two on ebay! :uhoh:

probes
13th Nov 2014, 08:43
I was driving home yesterday and turned the radio on, and then up... and up... and still up, which does not happen to me that often (and if it does, it's usually Vivaldi, Phil Collins or a symphony orchestra), wondering what it is - The Endless River introduced. Supergood. :ok:

Cyber Bob
13th Nov 2014, 10:36
Yeah, DG (Dave Gilmour or DemiGod - you choose) was a guest on the Simon Mayo show last night. Genuinely nice fella