PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Training advertisements. Gender bias

Tee Emm
10th Nov 2014, 12:22
Over the years, have browsed a wide variety of typical aviation magazines where flying school advertisements or airline brand names are strongly featured. In the vast majority of pictures with uniformed people posing on the flight decks, the captain is invariably a male and the first officer invariably a female. Or if the picture is of typical ab-initio aircraft and crew, the instructor is invariably male and the student a female. Or see an airline advertisement with the crew walking proudly across the tarmac. Have yet to see a female as captain but more often if a female pilot is featured she will be the first officer and always shorter than the captain.

In these advertisements, is this gender separation in the cockpit or on the tarmac, a politically correct sop to some ethnic societies where it is considered culturally unacceptable to have a female in command and thus more stripes on her shoulders? :confused:

Amadis of Gaul
11th Nov 2014, 14:34
Guess they gotta find some taller girls.

glendalegoon
11th Nov 2014, 19:02
look. its just that way

don't read anything into it. they HIRE actors or MODELS to participate in those ads.

I've had female captains and been their copilot. Some were pretty good, others were not.

I've had male captains and been their copilot. Some were pretty good, others were not. Some were very good.

And when I was captain (i am male) I've had female copilots and male copilots...some were pretty good, some were not. Some were very good and the majority of the very good ones were and are men. I can think of TWO very good female copilots I've had. One was a USAF academy graduate and was very good. Another came up the hard way and was very good.

So , don't make a big thing about it.

And most airline pilots are men. Get over it.

The cockpit (or box office as the girls like to call it) is no place for political correctness. Just aviation correctness.

rogerg
11th Nov 2014, 21:19
The cockpit (or box office as the girls like to call it)
I have never heard that in 40 years of flying.
Me-thinks you are being a bit sexist!

glendalegoon
11th Nov 2014, 22:05
rogerg

sorry to dissapoint you, but that's what the girls called it at my (very humongous) airline.

I didn't make it up. I had to ask what they meant by that (very naive boy).

I will accept your apology anytime you like to give it.

rogerg
12th Nov 2014, 06:50
I will accept your apology anytime you like to give it
I should have known as it is an American thing. Not nice but "sorry".

aterpster
12th Nov 2014, 12:47
rogerg:

I have never heard that in 40 years of flying.
Me-thinks you are being a bit sexist!

The first time I heard it was from a female F/O probably 30 years ago.

glendalegoon
12th Nov 2014, 18:05
I really do think the girls made it up themselves. A girl pilot told me about it. she use to say I had nice legs too.

so, what do you do when your captain, a girl, tells you of boxoffices and likes your legs

redsnail
12th Nov 2014, 20:43
Yep, I call it a box office. :ok:

aterpster
12th Nov 2014, 22:45
glendalegoon:

so, what do you do when your captain, a girl, tells you of boxoffices and likes your legs.

Tell her you have to wash your hair and write letters. :)

con-pilot
12th Nov 2014, 23:25
The female pilot I hired* called it a 'box office' as well.

* She was the first female full time corporate pilot ever hired in Oklahoma City. Some barriers are hard to overcome. One big hurdle are/were the wives of the aircraft owners. Afraid of hanky panky by their husbands.

Training Risky
13th Nov 2014, 05:53
more often if a female pilot is featured she will be the first officer and always shorter than the captain.

So we should start denying biological facts now?

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Nov 2014, 06:06
God forbid reality should intrude on political correctness.

mikedreamer787
13th Nov 2014, 06:13
I flew with a First Officer woman once and
she was ok but her period pains made her
bloody cranky. She bit the APP ATC guy's
head off when we suddenly became No 3
iso our previously advised position as No
1 due to terminal wx (thus needing a rwy
change).

BTW she was 2 inches taller than me (I'm
6ft even) so I wasn't going to argue lest I
got smacked down.

bugged on the right
13th Nov 2014, 07:32
There is a little more to wanting to fly than a flying school ad. If a woman can't see through advertising for what it is then she is not smart enough to be a pilot. Apart from a few whose daddies bought them a licence, all the women I have flown with have struggled in a male oriented environment , worked hard and had a suitability for the job. They were all highly motivated and the ones with attitude fell by the wayside. I see the single biggest motivation to fly is in childhood. A little boy, or girl at the airport fence watching the aeroplanes. So shove your political correctness, it has no place in our world, it just lowers it's tone.

MagnusP
13th Nov 2014, 07:53
Simples. Women do not, in general, have the arm strength to lug a Breitling around and therefore cannot become pilots.

Nigd3
13th Nov 2014, 10:05
Jeez

Whatever industry you are in, there is always someone waiting to be offended, upset or outraged at a perceived injustice.

What about the cross-dressing and gender swap pilot population? They need representation in the adverts too. Maybe that's where you can get your 6ft 4in "female " captain?

teeteringhead
13th Nov 2014, 15:07
I can't help but feel that some of today's expensive watches are actually intended to be used in a fight. Did not James Bond use his Rolex as a Knuckleduster once??

(In the books of course - the movie JB would have at least a TASER if not a grenade projector in his Rolex)

probes
14th Nov 2014, 03:31
that's the trouble. Whoever you pick - the rest will supposedly feel left out. :E

capster
14th Nov 2014, 07:01
Tee em : Get a life, sir.

mikedreamer787
14th Nov 2014, 08:00
if not a grenade projector in his Rolex)

Didn't Q invent something like that back
in one of Mr Connery's early bond flicks?

A tiny poison dart or something.

MagnusP
14th Nov 2014, 08:01
And did not the later Bonds wear an Omega Seamaster? Perhaps with a micro torpedo instead.