PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Europe

Contact Approach
10th Nov 2014, 04:37
Hello,

I currently work for a well known loco based out of LGW, here in the UK.
I am considering packing up and moving to the Philippines.
Can anyone shed some light on the situation, if any, over in that part of the world. I am open to all opportunities.

C.A

Black Crow
10th Nov 2014, 09:24
I currently work for a well known loco based out of LGW, here in the UK.
I am considering packing up and moving to the Philippines.
Can anyone shed some light on the situation, if any, over in that part of the world. I am open to all opportunities.

Run, don't walk away!

Obviously there is only one company in the Phils hiring expats, and you are well advised to steer clear of them.

Here is a little primer on what to expect:

1. Are you willing to work for the lowest pay carrier in Asia, with basically no benefits?

2. Are you willing not to have a liveable schedule? No control over your schedule? Are you willing to fly tired constantly?

3. Are you willing to provide ALL of your own requirements, such as your own work permit, at YOUR expense?

4. Are you willing to attend "training" while only receiving an "allowance" (about $500/month) for several months?

5. Are you willing to go to the simulator to have a semi illiterate Instructor yell and scream at you while threatening you?

6. Are you willing to fly with a Captain who has absolutely no systems knowledge, no basic airmanship skills and no personal skills?

7. Are you willing to work for a Flight Operations department run by the most incompetent and vengeful people who only care about how to discipline you?

8. Are you willing to sign a "training bond" for over $30K? Doesn't matter if you are typed already, you WILL sign a bond to work there.

9. Are you willing to work for a company with no safety culture and no standards?

If any of this appeals to you, then go for it. Just don't say you haven't been warned.

Greenlights
10th Nov 2014, 09:34
because you think it's better in Philippines ?
Mouhahahahaha !!

in asia, the worst guys I flew with were from there. (and India).
Low cost is Low cost, but you'd better stay in a european LC than an asian LC... really.

Kenai
10th Nov 2014, 10:23
... don't tell you have not been warned := Pay heed to the above 2 posters please for your sake!

Its more fun in the Philippines yes....but don't become the joke! :E

Having said that yes...its a beautiful place with wonderful people...if you are on a vacation...that's about it.

Proline21
10th Nov 2014, 19:10
I would consider Tiger Air, Silk Air or Jetstar in Singapore, Air Nippon in Japan or Hong Kong Airlines in HK, Cathay and Dragon are also hiring as well as Korean Air, Asiana, Air Macau, Eva Air, etc so no immediate need to go to Thailand, Phil or countries like Bangladesh, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, etc apart from that, I would stay where you are and enjoy SE Asia during holidays...

Contact Approach
10th Nov 2014, 19:57
Hello,

Thanks for the above, just to clarify: I'm looking more at moving out there to set up some sort of flying establishment (Charter).
Could anyone put me in touch with anyone useful? Floatplanes are where I'm at.

Kind regards,

C.A

Skymaster337
10th Nov 2014, 22:05
Be sure to bring lots and lots of money. Being a foreigner you will quickly find out the cost for everything you try to do (that involves government) will quickly escalate.

You will also be told in order to get things done more quickly you should take on a Filipino "partner" to appease the various authorities. In the end your new "partner" and the Philippine government officials will be feasting on your money and you will be left with.....nothing. :eek:

You will find out quickly why so many have tried, and then left with barely enough money to get home. :ouch:

Metro man
11th Nov 2014, 00:06
Your money will be very welcome in the Philippines and you will be surprised how quickly it will disappear. There is a long list of businesses only open to locals and I think transport is included so a Philippine citizen partner would be required just for that reason, but also to ensure the correct people are paid off.

There are around 120 families in the Philippines who control everything and they don't want any competition. There are a handful of super rich, mostly ethnic Chinese at the top and they don't need you. The best and brightest leave the country if they are able, there are huge numbers in Canada and the U.S.

I love the Philippines and will retire there with my Filipina wife but I advise you not to consider starting a business as you will almost certainly lose your money.

Investing in property would be a safer option, only go with the big developers who are financially sound and well connected.

USMCProbe
11th Nov 2014, 01:13
What Metro Man described is the situation in EVERY third world country. That is why they are third world countries.

They have been ripping each other off for their entire history. We are amateurs in their system.

SE Asia is a great place for vacation or cheap retirement, but not a place to make you mark in business. There is an occasional time and place where you can make some decent coin as a contractor, but not by "investing" (I would call it donating) your money.

ReverseFlight
11th Nov 2014, 02:12
An additional kind word of advice is : if you are considering establishing a floatplane operation there, an established player in the industry is already doing exactly just that. Competition will be fierce for a newbie like yourself. Cheers.