PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL exams, if fail all of attemps at one subject

Oscar1234
9th Nov 2014, 22:38
Hey guys,

I would like to know what happens after you fail all of your 4 attempts at one of the 14 subjects from the atpl course.
Also what how can you continue next so you can obtain the license?

Thanks in advance

potate
10th Nov 2014, 00:23
AFAIK you would need to re-take all 14 exams. I wouldn't wish that on anyone..

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/CAP%20804%20searchable.pdf

Section 4 Part A Page 3 FCL.025(b)(3)

zondaracer
10th Nov 2014, 02:47
You can do the ATPL course over again from the beginning.

mad_jock
10th Nov 2014, 05:19
You just speak to the hot and do some remedial and then sit the whole lot again.

And far from being unemployable most companys don't even ask about your results. I certainly have never been asked about mine. And I have never asked anyone about theirs in interview.

To be honest even when people have a 90% plus first time pass on thier CV's due to hammering the test banks they actually know jack about the ATPL course content. So you can't gauge the technical knowledge of a pilot by the exam results so they are pretty much worthless.

Once you have 500 hours multicrew under your belt. There is even less interest about them.

The number of CV though that try and big up +90's averages. Makes not the slightest bit of difference these days as the other 300 cv's in the pile do the same thing. And the ones that don't usually have a bit of "life" in them which is of more interest.

New out of school you are clueless and dangerous no matter what your scores.

paco
10th Nov 2014, 05:59
Just do them again. Which subject was it, BTW?

Oscar1234
10th Nov 2014, 09:30
Thank you all for your replies,

Potate thank you for the link, i have read before the CAP804 and i missed out that bit. thank you for pointing it out for me.

Also Mad Jock you are absolutely right, the thing is that most of the ATO just come to you at the beginning and say that no one you would employ you and that only first timers with high percentages able to obtain the job and to be honest that puts the stress a bit high.

Just one last question, do i have to wait like 6 months or 1 year? or its up to the ATO when i am ready again to apply for all of the exams?

Thank you again.

mad_jock
10th Nov 2014, 11:34
What subject was it as PACO says?

There is no waiting period to my knowledge.

paco
10th Nov 2014, 14:23
If you have failed four times, you can enrol straight away for a new set of exams, ATO permitting. I would now do the problem one first and get it out of the way.

OhNoCB
10th Nov 2014, 17:00
The pass attempts and average scores shouldn't (and don't necessarily) truly reflect someones abilities to the job well.

HOWEVER.

I would say that not having first time passes and/or having an average pass mark on the low side is going to close some doors. Not all of them, but some of them, and some of those happen to be the jobs that more commonly offer people their first flying job. Ryanair and also Flybe (I think) come to mind as operators who do ask/care about these silly exams.