PDA

View Full Version : Amsterdam and Beijing transit

Cymmon
9th Nov 2014, 18:18
On Christmas Day I get to spend 6 hours in Amsterdam airport, followed by 9 hours in Beijing on Boxing Day.

Does anyone know if you can buy food and drink using UK debit/Visa cards and if it's possible to pay to go into a lounge or rent a room whilst airside in either of the airports?

Thanks in advance.

PAXboy
9th Nov 2014, 22:20
Here's your Starter for 10: Travellers (http://www.schiphol.nl/index_en.html) Check 'Food & Relax'. Not saying you will find what you want - but it's one place to start!

European airports are used to 24 hour working. Beijing probably does not recognise 'Boxing Day' so will probably be business as usual.

obgraham
9th Nov 2014, 23:05
It's lots quieter at Schiphol out by Pier G. Places to nap, etc. All still airside. As opposed to the main junction area at E and D which is mass mayhem.
Plenty of places to get food. I bet they take every kind of card there is.
Don't know about day rooms.

jackieofalltrades
10th Nov 2014, 00:20
Plenty of places to get food at Schiphol. I've done so on Christmas day a few years ago. They take UK credit cards for sure as I've used mine several times there. I imagine a debit card would be fine too.

eastern wiseguy
10th Nov 2014, 00:48
http://www.mercure.com/gb/hotel-1730-mercure-hotel-schiphol-terminal/index.shtml

Might be useful for a few hours sleep.

If you have a UK debit which has the Visa symbol on it ( like mine) I find that there is no problem using it in Europe where it functions "like" a credit card.

edi_local
10th Nov 2014, 15:26
I've used my UK Debit Card (Visa) at Schipol a few times in the past. You will probably get the option of paying in GBP or EUR. If you select GBP you shouldn't be charged any foreign transactions fees (I wasn't) but the exchange rate won't be great and you may end up paying more than you would have done had you paid in EUR and the associated fees. It all depends on your bank charges.

As for PEK. I'm not sure. I used my UK Visa Credit Card as normal but not my debit card.

Cymmon
10th Nov 2014, 16:14
Thanks for the replies. I've looked at the Beijing Airport website but been told not to believe everything that is on it. Got 9 hours there after a 10 hr overnight flight, then 2 more flights adding up to another 8 hrs, so need to grab some food/sleep somewhere.

Amsterdam looks ok, only 6 hrs there. I've got a UK Visa card so will probably use that.

Once again thanks.

edi_local
10th Nov 2014, 22:01
To be on the safe side, for PEK why not just get yourself some of the local currency in cash so you have a backup in the chance that your card doesn't work? Outside of Europe a debit card might incur some extortionate transaction fees anyway.

Fareastdriver
11th Nov 2014, 20:48
Hit an ATM at Beijing. The Bank of China or HSBC are the most English language friendly.

SOPS
12th Nov 2014, 03:38
There is an airside hotel that does day rooms at Schipol.

bcgallacher
12th Nov 2014, 05:08
There are rooms with showers available in the terminal at Beijing . Beijing Airport hotel has a website you can get further info. You must be flying China Southern /KLM. I have used the terminal rooms in the past with no problems and not expensive.

Cymmon
12th Nov 2014, 14:59
Hi, yes I am. Manchester-Amsterdam-Beijing-Xiamen-Manila.

6 hours in Amsterdam and 9 hours in Beijing.

Phileas Fogg
13th Nov 2014, 09:58
Cymmon,

There is actually a Mercure (transit) Hotel within the Schiphol terminal, one gets a box room with no window, I stayed there the once but only the once, but if you're interested just search on the "Accor Hotels" website.

Other than that there is the Murphy's Irish boozer down by the "D" gates, sit at the bar, chat with the staff and/or patrons ... and unless things have changed, if you're a smoker, one can smoke in there and they do some reasonable grub also.

NorthSouth
13th Nov 2014, 17:15
Take a face mask with you. My wife came back from China via Schiphol last month and has been in hospital with double pneumonia since.

bcgallacher
14th Nov 2014, 09:32
Cymmon-have used KLM /China Southern twice to Manila - I am in Manila until Tuesday - will only use them in extremis too long travelling time,poor food and service.

Cymmon
14th Nov 2014, 22:04
I'm a gold card holder with Qatar airways, but their fares were absolutely stupid. So had no option but to use CSA/KLM/AF

Will be using hopefully Qatar again in February and July, but the fares seem to be rising very fast now. Used to be £1811 return, now an average of £2100, but this flight via Doha was quoted at £4500!!!!!!