PDA

View Full Version : King Air Vs PA46

alfie222
9th Nov 2014, 16:28
Hi Folks first time posting in the fixed wing side of things but I am after some advice on a small turbo prop. I am first time buyer of a small plane and its but used through out uk Ireland and Europe. I need some advice on buying tips what to look for and the dos and don'ts?
Also basic operational cost?
Service intervals

And any other things that might be useful to me would be appreciated........

donPablo
9th Nov 2014, 23:15
If I ever reach a level when I could afford any of these I would not think a minute more and go for a twin engine aircraft...

Regardles of what they'll say, put yourself always into an Ifr night situation over the alps, and a compresor stall or fuel supply failure. Read those avherald infos on engine self shutdowns in flight on big airliners and think about your wife, family, etc.

DOC of a twin turboprop is roughly a 30% more in total than a SET. Is a life of a person who earned for an airplane like that worth those 30% savings ?

Cheers

HS125
10th Nov 2014, 02:35
Even if we're talking the Turbine PA46, I think we're also talking chalk and cheese here.

About the most insightful thing I could say based on what we have here is that even at the lowest vs highest configurations (e.g. BE90 vs PA46-500TP) One costs considerably more to run than the other, I'm sure anyone who has managed to navigate to a website on the matter can resolve which is which.

I don't mean to be condescending to the OP but there are potentially huge variables in missions and budget here.

Big Pistons Forever
10th Nov 2014, 03:29
Pa46 = Brilliant......until the pilot light on the only engine goes out.....

alfie222
11th Nov 2014, 10:06
Thanks for the advice guys but as this is my first experience buying a turbo prop I need to get all the positives and negatives out there. My preference is a twin turbo prop for obvious reasons. I am Loki g at one that's on ab buyer in Mexico that ticks all my boxes but really would love to chat to a owner or operator regarding this if any one of out there....thanks in advance....