PDA

View Full Version : To FAA or EASA that is the question

GingerAce
9th Nov 2014, 08:53
Hi I'm currently looking into the different ways to become a pilot.

I know that the answer may ultimately depend on where I want to fly but at the moment the cost is dictating which route I take - FAA for monetary value. I have a family to try and support and the same time as training so spending £100k+ just isn't possible. Plus once I have taken my FAA leicence how easy will it be to get a job and/or visa considering I'm in my mid 30's?? It seems that one question just leads to more questions and I currently have no answers!

Has anyone been in a similar situation or could give me some advise.

paco
9th Nov 2014, 11:18
If you can avoid EASA do so :)

tu154
9th Nov 2014, 11:52
It's all about where you are entitled to live and work, not where you want to fly I'm afraid.

GingerAce
9th Nov 2014, 15:26
Paco, why avoid EASA??

GingerAce
9th Nov 2014, 15:30
Tu154, I do understand that. I'm currently living in the uk but I do have extended family in Canada and we have looked to emigrate there before so I thought Canada May be an option the learn and work.

paco
9th Nov 2014, 17:26
Ginger - leaving aside immigration, I would much rather study for FAA or Transport Canada licences rather than the complete dog's dinner that JAA/EASA have created between them. if you need it, do it, but not if you don't have to! :)

banjodrone
9th Nov 2014, 22:21
Paco's right on one level but with the very important caveat he adds that if you need it, do it, otherwise you're setting yourself up for more hassle than it's worth. Basically, learn to fly where you'll be able to fly. If you can emigrate to Canada then good for you, you can avoid EASA altogether, otherwise it's EASA all the way I'm afraid. Forget about dual certification, while it was somewhat of a good strategy back in the day it's definitely not worth it anymore.

Genghis the Engineer
9th Nov 2014, 22:44
The "where you can work" issue's been covered.

You don't need to spend £100k - there are plenty of threads here about the modular route. £40k-£50k will cover it with care.

Plenty of people have got their first flying job in their late 30s.

And do a PPL before you do anything else, otherwise you just don't know if you have the aptitude and enthusiasm to carry you through. An FAA PPL will however do fine, even if you go on to do an EASA professional licence.

GingerAce
10th Nov 2014, 17:51
Paco, how time consuming and difficult is it to change a licence over from FAA to EASA?

GingerAce
10th Nov 2014, 17:53
Thank you to everyone that has commented, I will also look into modular learning and I'll look into getting a PPL first to see if I have the enthusiasm for flying ;)

PURPLE PITOT
10th Nov 2014, 18:37
Get a class 1 medical first. Without one you are stumped.

paco
10th Nov 2014, 18:43
Unless you manage to get an FAA ATP with 1000 hours multicrew, you will need to sit all the 14 exams. Not sure about the flying, but "as required" seems to be the buzzword these days.

GingerAce
10th Nov 2014, 20:23
Thanks Purple Pitot I thought I might have to get one ;)

GingerAce
10th Nov 2014, 20:27
So just to clarify then Paco unless I have 1000 hours plus multicrew then I would have to take another 14 exams to transfer a FAA licence over to a EASA licence?? And these 14 exams are in addition to the exams I would have to take to pass my initial FAA CPT/ATP anyway!

PURPLE PITOT
10th Nov 2014, 20:53
Correct. If you are going to fly in EASA land, its cheaper to learn there. They set it up that way!

GingerAce
10th Nov 2014, 21:18
Sorry Purple Pitot, if flying in EASA land it's cheaper to learn where!?? :confused:

Genghis the Engineer
10th Nov 2014, 23:06
Community shorthand. FAAland = USA, EASAland = European countries with their licencing managed by EASA, the European Aviation Safety Agency. Which is to say, most of Europe. Basically if you can only work in Europe, do your professional training here (although your PPL and hour building can be elsewhere without problems).

Purple Pitot's point, incidentally, about getting a class 1 medical very early on, is spot on. Without that, the choice of licences and jobs available to you is rather limited: balloons, microlights and gliders basically for professional flying.

banjodrone
10th Nov 2014, 23:27
In EASA land Ginger. Like Purple says it's set up that way. Pre - about 2004 / 2005 you could still have trained overseas, did all the conversions and saved a bit of cash but they've been working on making that less viable since the 1990's and finally achieved it. When you factor in the cost of a full "conversion", most of which is flying costs and add up all the extras while abroad like flights, accommodation and food, not to mention just having somewhat of a life every once in a while, you don't actually save anything and end up with a deficit.

I'm a real living example mate. I've a friend from Belgium who was in the same position Qualified on Fixed and Rotor, went to Africa and didn't stand a chance with less than 1000 hours. He ended up marrying someone and started a Bar & Restaurant in Uganda. He's happy so good for him but he admits it's very unlikely he'll fly again. At 44 I don't fancy my chances by the time I get the means together and get around to it but I'll have to just for completeness and my own peace of mind because I always finish what I start.

Bottom line - Train where you intend to fly, you won't regret it.

lukeskywalkerIII
14th Nov 2014, 12:17
It's all about where you want to live and work. the rewards/wages are not so high in the US/FAA land but cost of living matches, so purely personal lifestyle choice.

pilot4eva
16th Nov 2014, 08:30
Mostly depends on where you are allowed the legal right to work!If you do not have the right for US,Australia,Canada,EU like me then EASA would be the best choice for applying jobs in the rest of the world otherwise the appropriate authority would be the best choice!