PDA

View Full Version : Waterloo Medal

Prawn2king4
9th Nov 2014, 04:03
I see that that the Waterloo medal is finally being awarded to representatives of the victorious countries involved - 200 years after Wellington ordered it being struck.

Should do wonders for EU harmony. I wonder if the French can come up with something in response?

27mm
9th Nov 2014, 08:33
Mais oui, mon brave, nous irons issuer le gong de Hastings! :ok:

Tankertrashnav
9th Nov 2014, 13:07
You got a source for that bit of info PrawnKing? I hadnt heard about this.

The various other participants on the winning side did get medals at the time, namely the Brunswick, Hanoverian, Nassau and Saxe Gotha Altenburg Medals. I cant imagine we are going to dish out British Waterloo medals to the descendants of these chaps.

I did once own a Waterloo medal which was awarded posthumously to a Cornet of the 2nd Dragoons who was killed during the famous charge of the Greys during the battle. Wish I still had it, would have been a significant part of my pension pot :(

tony draper
9th Nov 2014, 13:40
I remember a chap brought one to the antique road show once that got the military items bloke very excited.
Hmm, thinking about it it might have been a Battle of Trafalgar Medal.
:)

G-CPTN
9th Nov 2014, 13:43
Waterloo victors finally get their medals ? only 200 years late | UK news | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/09/waterloo-victors-get-their-medals-200-years-late-duke-of-wellington)

Tankertrashnav
9th Nov 2014, 14:49
Thanks for the link, G CPTN - that explains it, just a few gold ones to represent the heads of state of the time.

I see the link has a picture of the charge of the Greys I referred to above - I wonder if my bloke is in the front row!

Pistrucci was an amazing engraver. He did the first bust of George III for the new coinage in 1816. The king didnt like it because it made him look fat (which he was). Pistrucci refused to alter the design, so along came William Wyon who wasn't against a bit of artistic licence and produced a more flattering portrait for later coins. That got him the contract as chief engraver to the Royal Mint, a post which he handed on to his son in later years.

Pistrucci however did do the familiar St George and the dragon design for the reverse of the sovereign, which is used to this day.