PDA

View Full Version : AUS/NZ Common Security Zone

nomorecatering
8th Nov 2014, 23:50
Hassle-free: Why New Zealand flights should be classed ?domestic? (http://www.traveller.com.au/hasslefree-why-new-zealand-flights-should-be-classed-domestic-34o6i)

Should Australia/NZ be a common security zone, where we have a common boarder agency. Travel within the common zone would be classed as domestic so in theory one could take a private plane from Bendigo to Wanaka without needing to clear customs. As far as immigration is concerned, we should have a common requirement for entry, but once inside, travel is permitted freely.

It does seem odd that the only 2 countries in our neck of the woods have completely different bureaucracies where a common/joint border force could do the job.

I can already hear Sir Humphrey frothing at the mouth.

At the same time we could dissolve CASA and give the whole thing to the NZ CAA.

On Track
9th Nov 2014, 04:18
Excellent idea from my point of view, but the customs and quarantine people will still demand that we fill out those tedious forms that both governments love so much.

For what it's worth, I never have any prohibited imports and never have anything to declare but I still have to through the form and tick all those boxes.

Mimpe
9th Nov 2014, 04:51
What the heck - I always thought it should be the United States of Oceana.

BNEA320
9th Nov 2014, 23:43
been talked about for years, but as trans-tasman travel is so big, think of all the govt revenue that would be lost if no more departure tax of $55 per adult if going to NZL.