PDA

View Full Version : Own your own Harrier

DaveReidUK
8th Nov 2014, 15:06
Up for disposal after nearly 10 years sitting outside a SW London ATC squadron on (you guessed) Health & Safety grounds:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/sale-of-a-harrier-gr3-aircraft-tail-number-xz130

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/resources/images/3168305.jpg?type=articleLandscape

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
8th Nov 2014, 16:26
I suppose they're scared one of the erks is going to jump in and fly it away...

chevvron
9th Nov 2014, 02:46
Bloody good pilot, landing it in such a small space.

Kitbag
9th Nov 2014, 06:09
Lovely, moving it will be a pain, if those buildings are as close as they look.

I don't see why the OP is suggesting it is being sold off on H&S grounds though.

Stanwell
9th Nov 2014, 06:32
Because it's literally falling apart.

DaveReidUK
9th Nov 2014, 07:08
I don't see why the OP is suggesting it is being sold off on H&S grounds though.I'm not suggesting that, it's the RAF's view:

"An RAF spokeswoman said: 'Sadly the Harrier outside 1034 Surbiton Squadron has become a health and safety hazard due to its age and rapidly deteriorating condition. With this and the safety of our cadets in mind, it is no longer possible to keep the aircraft in its current location. The squadron and the volunteers have looked after the aircraft very well, however, unfortunately because of its age, it’s time to remove it.' "

Surbiton air cadets to lose iconic Harrier jet over health and safety fears (From Your Local Guardian) (http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/kingstonnews/11371848.Surbiton_air_cadets_to_lose_iconic_Harrier_jet_over _health_and_safety_fears/)

Kitbag
10th Nov 2014, 03:25
Thank you for that additional link that explains the situation.

I'm guessing that a risk assessment has been carried out and the ATC squadron are unable to offer any suitable mitigations to enable them to retain the ac.

Seems a shame when artifacts like this have the potential to be superb recruiting sergeants.

Krystal n chips
10th Nov 2014, 06:10
The aircraft should indeed be preserved as it is clearly unique......having seemingly served in every Squadron.....which takes some doing really.

However, peoples hearts seem to be ruling their heads here

"Mr Harrier ?....allow me to introduce Ms Husqvana,,,,I am sure you will make a perfect couple"

gruntie
10th Nov 2014, 16:43
So what is it going to do? Explode? If you're that nervous just put a bl00dy fence round it FFS.

Capot
10th Nov 2014, 16:59
Cadets with a well-developed curiosity and entirely proper lack of respect for petty-fogging rules can get over fences.

I don't think I would want a lump of corroded Harrier squashing the lad who is going to inherit my overdraft, if he were a cadet there. Or even just taking a lump out of his skull.

Not all H & S is nonsense. It takes maturity and bitter experience to recognise silly H&S from sensible H&S, and my money's on sensible in this one.

DaveReidUK
10th Nov 2014, 17:56
I suspect that the aircraft has has little in the way of engineering TLC since its arrival in 2005, so I would reluctantly have to agree with Capot that prudence should prevail.

I'm going to be in Tolworth on Friday - I'll take my camera and upload a pic.

cockney steve
10th Nov 2014, 18:01
^^^^ disagree....in one breath ," they looked after it very well"

In the next . it's intimated they were too idle /stupid / impoverished to give it a proper scrub down, maybe a jet-wash and then a few cans of WD40 /Duck-oil or even Waxoyle (latter is very good if you add~ 10% gear oil or trans-fluid)
This would have kept corrosion at bay .
even now, I'm sure someone with a bit of initiative could insert some scaffolding or box-section to reinforce it, with maybe a couple of support-struts on the outside.

DaveReidUK
10th Nov 2014, 18:44
If you're that confident of its ability to stay upright on its rusty outriggers, I suggest you scrounge a towbar and put in a bid - it's very handily located for the A3/M25. :O

Nopax,thanx
10th Nov 2014, 18:51
It's a shame though...thinking of all the Spitfires, Meteors, Canberras, etc that graced various RAF station gates over the years that this particular airframe has only managed ten years outside.

If it is down to a lack of care and maintenance then it doesn't bode well for other aircraft on display. Wouldn't it have been better to have had a serving RAF techie as a mentor, to come down two or three times a year to oversee cleaning and protection? The cadets could then have learned about aircraft preservation and the tech side of things.

I know that resources are stretched but we'll soon get to the situation where youngsters won't get any hands-on experience at all :(