PDA

View Full Version : Organising small galleys… what's the secret?

Journey Man
7th Nov 2014, 16:55
Hi,

I fly on an XLS+ and I'm fairly appalled at the basic nature of the galley. I've come to the conclusion that there must be some optional organisers, or some aftermarket organiser to help neatly store things. You know how it is, you want to present a neat and tidy cabin to the passengers commensurate with the level they expect and you have a draw with plates and cutlery sliding around.

How do you all do it? We normally serve a light snack, so we're simple crockery and cutlery is all I need to organise. Does anyone operating similar aircraft know of an aftermarket organiser specifically made for the drawers? I imagine there are a multitude of regulations, STCs required and an astronomical price tag - but I'm open to being pleasantly surprised!

Ideally, I'd like to get the wine and champagne glasses out of the drawer and securely stowed in the galley cupboard, which doesn't have any attachments for the glasses' bases or a similar setup. Then I'd like to neatly anchor 6-8 plates, napkins and cutlery. We do have what appears to be a perspex setup separating the tea service items, and being a dab hand with a Dremel I was considering getting some clear perspex and making it myself.

Any ideas? This wasn't really covered in the ATPLs… :ok:

the boy
7th Nov 2014, 17:32
A rubber grip mat for the bottom of the drawer is a good start to stop everything sliding about. We operate same type and have convinced the boss away from champagne flutes which makes life simpler and saves on breakage.

Other than that I am not aware of any aftermarket options, perhaps you have stumbled upon something!!! All you have to do is charge same exhorbitant prices that Cessna do and you should be able to retire early! ;)

Good luck

what next
7th Nov 2014, 17:36
How do you all do it?

"My" aeroplane is even smaller (C560 without XL). In one of the drawers there are tea/coffee cups and teabags, milk and sugar, in another drawer are glasses: 8 wine glasses inside 8 water glasses. The remaining drawers contain various kinds of beverages.

The food (cold meals and snacks only) is pre arranged on trays which are stored in catering boxes that we either belt to an unoccupied seat or under the coathangers in the back. We place company branded cutlery and napkins on these trays before stowing them. Beware of ramp inspectors, they don't like to see unfastened boxes in the cabin - this is one of the first things they look for!

If that's not good enough for your passengers, you can politely point the to a good restaurant, after all our business is transportation and not feeding... And if they really want to dine with style on board of an aeroplane, they must buy or charter something two classes higher.

Journey Man
7th Nov 2014, 18:58
We place company branded cutlery and napkins on these trays before stowing them.

I hadn't thought of this - I think your approach is really sensible. Thanks for sharing.

Beaver100
7th Nov 2014, 19:23
So why would you care about the cabin and service ? You are paid to fly the plane, nothing more, so do you get your FO to serve grub in the cruise :-)

Journey Man
7th Nov 2014, 20:57
So why would you care about the cabin and service ? You are paid to fly the plane, nothing more, so do you get your FO to serve grub in the cruise :-)

I would have thought that the answer is self evident, however I'm happy to explain the motivation behind my enquiries. The market is extremely competitive, and retaining existing clients with the highest levels of service is paramount. It's an area I think we can improve, and as we don't have cabin crew, presenting the crockery and cutlery in a more convenient and appealing manner would be advantageous. As crews of small/mid range aircraft will attest, it is difficult to avoid having the catering look like an afterthought in it's insulated bag on an unoccupied seat.

I'm employed by my Company; my Company treats me well; I want my Company to keep employing me and paying me well; I want clients to keep using my Company so that my Company is successful and my job is secure; etc… No, it's not something I've been asked to remedy, or look into. It's something I am looking into myself and will submit for consideration once I have are more comprehensive proposal for how we can do this small area better. I am not 'paid to fly the plane'. I am paid to ensure my passengers get where they need to go safely, comfortably and happily. Obviously there is a hierarchy there with the safe operation being the primary concern. Do you work in commercial aviation? If so, do you work in an airline?

Do I make the F/O serve the food? No. As I clearly state in my post at the start of this thread, the food we serve is fairly simple in it's nature therefore facilitating the clients to help themselves to well organised crockery and cutlery negates the need for serving, hence my interest in streamlining the process.

Thank you for your interest, though.

N707ZS
8th Nov 2014, 07:31
Could there be an answer in the caravan and camper industry?

Tray Surfer
9th Nov 2014, 06:06
Journey Man, you have a PM!

TS
:)

NutLoose
8th Dec 2014, 22:09
What about something like these

Caravan Cupboard Crockery Rack - Caravan Plate Rack at motorhome-accessories.com (http://www.motorhome-accessories.com/cooking-and-dining/washing-up-and-drying/caravan-crockery-and-plate-rack/)

http://www.myboatsgear.com/Yoebi-Wine-Glass-holder

http://www.yoebi.com/index.html

Booglebox
10th Dec 2014, 08:44
Could we draw inspiration from space food? Would certainly help keep everything together, which I guess is a big bonus on a storage-limited small jet...

http://static.neatorama.com/images/2009-08/skylab-tray.jpg