PDA

View Full Version : Yet again Photobucket is really pixxing me off.

Old Photo.Fanatic
7th Nov 2014, 16:14
Can anyone tell me just what the hell is Photobucket up to.
I log in and all I get is a minimal display and unable to access my libraries or upload any images.

I have changed nothing since I was able to use it ok awhile ago.
I have just about had it with this poxxy lot.

Any info?
With thanks.

OPF

Capetonian
7th Nov 2014, 16:22
I got so pissed off with Photobucket and their constant 'improvements' and updates that I ditched them and switched to Dropbox. A better solution all round.

Sallyann1234
7th Nov 2014, 16:55
Another :ok: for Dropbox. An excellent service.

mikedreamer787
7th Nov 2014, 16:55
Yeah Dropbox. I gave up useless bloody Photofcukit quite a while back as soon as they started complicating simplicity.

Solid Rust Twotter
7th Nov 2014, 16:58
Ditched photofeckit a while back and couldn't be arsed to use another one. Might give dropbox a go as long as they don't play the same farcebook games.

Capetonian
7th Nov 2014, 17:16
I've been using Dropbox for about 4 years and have never had any sort of unsolicited email, advertising, link, spam or anything from them.

tony draper
7th Nov 2014, 17:26
My photobucket still work but I seem to have acquired about fifty different albums now that I didn't ask for and I have to try and remember which one I've posted a image in.
:uhoh:

vulcanised
7th Nov 2014, 17:36
Not very active in that area but I have found Flikr pretty good.

SpringHeeledJack
7th Nov 2014, 18:33
Out of interest, if it costs nothing and no solicitations arrive or adverts or whatever, what exactly is in it for the owners of Dropbox ? Do they try and pinch the rights to users photos like certain social media ? I'm curious.

SHJ

Capetonian
7th Nov 2014, 18:39
You get a certain amount of space free, and then you can either get more by paying for it, or by referrals. I don't understand much about internet pricing and how sites make money other than advertising and click-throughs, and as DB don't seem to have any advertising (or maybe my AdBlocker stops it all) so I can only guess that Dropbox makes its money from people who pay for extra space.

ExSp33db1rd
7th Nov 2014, 23:30
Google's Picasa anyone ?

broadreach
7th Nov 2014, 23:45
Picasa thoroughly confused me - which is not too difficult to do. I continue using Photobucket but agree, it can be frequently and terribly frustrating... Dropbox, hmm, may give it a try.

FullOppositeRudder
8th Nov 2014, 00:36
Photobucket seems to work fine for me - mind you I only use it to post occasional pics within this PPRuNe circle. My requirements are therefore minimal and I don't make big demands of it.

For more serious - albeit still very casual - usage, Flickr does the job, although they did a major re-arrangement of my photo sets a few years ago. I cursed at the time, but in time I've got to approve the final result.

My computer system is fairly standard - Window$ 7 and current Firefox. Maybe photobucket is uncomfortable with some computer/OS combinations. It shouldn't be of course, but there has to be a reason why some are reporting problems whilst others seem to be OK.

FOR

Capetonian
8th Nov 2014, 09:52
I used Picasa for a long time when it was pure photo storage and you sorted your photos into albums. Then it started getting smart and trying to get you to reorganise photos based on its facial recognition techniques, all very big brother, and it would dig photos out of the deepest darkest recesses of your computer and and create new albums. It found a couple of photos of me with someone ...... well, let's just say I thought I'd deleted those photos.

Then they linked it up with Google+ which seems to be a sort of social netwanking site and kept nagging me to 'create a profile for other users to see' and trying to 'link' me with people I'd never heard of, and worse, some I knew but never wanted to have anything to do with.

All a bit of nightmare.

vulcanised
8th Nov 2014, 12:46
If you delve into the works of Picasa you can select which folders on your HDD it looks at or not.

Old Photo.Fanatic
8th Nov 2014, 12:53
After days of not working and some contact with the Technical bods at Photobucket I find that all is now working.

I just wonder for how long.

OPF