View Full Version : 41 YEARS?

liquidhockey
8th Jun 2001, 01:02
hi
i am 17 and hope to hold a frozen ATPL when i am 19 (self funded). This means (correct me if im wrong)that i have roughly 41 years of possible employment as an airline pilot in my life (til i am 60).
Can sombody please tel me if i am likey to get my first job given my age in this time.
Also if the answer is yes then am i likely to get to a top job (like a 747 captain for British Airways) at some point in my career?
Thankyou for your time,
Dave

Luke SkyToddler
8th Jun 2001, 02:27
Dave

well in theory you're correct. Whether you actually get a flying job at age 19 is the million dollar question - you'll find that some airlines aren't too keen on teenagers flying their multi million pound jets, it makes the punters a wee bit nervous. Having said that, I believe there are one or two people (in the USA particularly) who are on the south side of 25 years old and already have jet commands.

With regard to your second question - it would be fair to say that anyone who had been airline flying for 41 years and hadn't achieved a command would be either the unluckiest person alive, or else closely related to Ronchonner :rolleyes:

JB007
8th Jun 2001, 12:03
Know loads of guys early 20's in RHS of jet A/c...going to be one myself at the end of the year!! :)

Get the work done...get the licence...then worry about it, you couldn't be doing it at a better time..12 months from now I think you'll see a big change in the market place!!

------------------
Regards JB007!
[email protected]
Flight Ops,Crewing and Dispatch Moderator

FalconJock
8th Jun 2001, 16:32
My advice is do it but don't wait around for a "PILOT SHORTAGE" due to changes in the industry. I have been waiting 8 years for this so called pilot shortage.

Make your own luck and opportunities, that way you can get a real sense of achievement rather than being picked because an airline is short of pilots.

All the best, and see you en route in a couple or 3 years