PDA

View Full Version : Signing?

tony draper
5th Nov 2014, 00:39
One has no intention of appearing unkind or unfeeling but when the BBC show a program signed for deaf folks do they have to have the bod doing said signing filling a full bloody third the screen, these peeps are hard of hearing not blind, I mean my eyeballs are each seventy years old now and grow dim but I am quite sure I could see what the buggah is saying were he a third of the bloody size.
I find it so irritating as to make the progs unwatchable.
Sorry about this one usually keeps one's grumps for morning posts,but good interesting prog about Stonehenge has been rendered unwatchable as far as I am concerned.
PS I dont care what they do with the likes of X factor or Come feckin Dancing,they can fill three quarters of the screen the with signing for the thick if they like.
:suspect:

DG101
5th Nov 2014, 00:47
I concur Mr. D. They should have a button that us grumps can click to nuke the arm waver.

BTW Dr (now Prof) Alice has popped up on iPlayer. Yer might be interested. :E

421dog
5th Nov 2014, 02:25
I need to indicate that this post is in response to information for which I might not be officially entitled, and therefore, as I have no skin in the game (a piker really) My opinion is not worth much, and I am ripe as a straw man...

That being said:

It's a PITA to watch BBC programming with the prominently-displayed wildly gesticulating person in the corner.

Please include a button on my ROKU box to allow me to disable said feature.

Best Regards,

Me

SpringHeeledJack
5th Nov 2014, 07:48
It's all about being PC and 'inclusive' which the BBC are tripping over themselves to fullfil. In this instance the feature that 'includes' a minority, 'excludes' the majority as it is too visually distracting to allow watching of the programme for longer than a few minutes. In this day and age the feature of being able to click on or off subtitles and signing for prerecorded items shouldn't be overly problematic.

Maybe they should do a satire themed programme for hearing impaired where they put that muppet on who blagged his way into Mandela's funeral and see who can guess what he just 'said' :}

SHJ

tony draper
5th Nov 2014, 08:14
We also have the verbal description option now one assumes so blind folks can follow TV drama and such, but that does have a on off button on the remote for me posh widescreen,however it is of some academic interest to listen to these descriptions.
"The man gesticulates at his lower body indicating to the lady that he wishes her to do something to his nether region"
"The lady recoils in apparent horror and picks up the bread knife"
Songs of praise will continue after this short break.
:)

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Nov 2014, 10:16
Perhaps a simulcast on another channel without the imaginary spider juggler?

funfly
5th Nov 2014, 10:30
I am amused that the London Aquarium has signs in brail. :ugh:

tony draper
5th Nov 2014, 10:40
Another thing one could not help but notice, do facial expression play a large part in signing? thought it was all down to the hands,the chap was managing some fearful contortions and grimaces.:uhoh:
To be fair I think they do broadcast these progs without signing first but one has a tendency to forget stuff now,perhaps there should be a symbolic language developed for we absent minded crumblies,two finger thrust upward and a shake of the head meaning you forgot to put the feckin cat out again. two hands grasping the throat,Dont forget yer bloody pills and such.:uhoh:

arcniz
5th Nov 2014, 12:11
In fairness to the many possible classes of concept-, comprehension-, and communication-impaired persons, a population who sometimes may comprise the main proportion of the audience for certain programmes, there should be a fully-certified and licensed telepathic actively supporting complete simultaneous broadcast of such content to the general public.

MagnusP
5th Nov 2014, 12:14
funfly, never mind the aquarium; I've seen drive-through ATMs with braille keypads.:eek:

Nick Riviera
5th Nov 2014, 12:19
I am amused that the London Aquarium has signs in brail

As Derren Brown has said, it is essentially just a list of fish.

Solid Rust Twotter
5th Nov 2014, 12:33
There can't be more than two or three ways to cook chips, so you'd hardly need a list of those...

vulcanised
5th Nov 2014, 12:40
Pisses me off too.

Especially when there is not indication that the programme has this unwanted extra feature and I've just downloaded it from iPlayer.

UniFoxOs
5th Nov 2014, 13:31
prominently-displayed wildly gesticulating person

AKA "the gurning nutter" in our house.

Don't understand why subtitles won't do just as well.

Especially when there is not indication that the programme has this unwanted extra feature

It's usually the 0200 repeat of a programme that was on at prime time. We occasionally record one if we are not able to record in the original time slot. It's a poxy nuisance, though less common nowadays due to all the "+1" channels that give us more recording flexibility - we never watch anything live, it's all recorded on HDD, watched sans adverts at a time suitable to us, or deleted if it's a load of crap.

4mastacker
5th Nov 2014, 14:05
Reminds me of the time three "hearing and vocally impaired" blokes went into a pub and tried signing to the barman that they wanted some drinks. The barman didn't understand what they were signing until another bloke at the bar, who could sign himself, told the barman that they wanted three pints of bitter. After that, whenever the three blokes wanted a drink, the "interpreter" acted on their behalf. Just before closing time, the three blokes all came to the bar and started signing again. "What do they want this time?" asked the barman. The interpreter turned to him and said " Oh, hoy them oot, they're singing".

Is that the door over there???

ps Mrs 4ma and I are trying to learn sign so we can "talk' to a severely disabled niece. She does have a sense of humour and I would suspect she would have a good laugh at the above "joke"

rgbrock1
5th Nov 2014, 14:19
I'll assume, then, that closed-captioning on the tube is not an option in Britain?

tony draper
5th Nov 2014, 14:22
Probably can Mr Rock,after all, didn't we invented the bloody thing. :rolleyes:

rgbrock1
5th Nov 2014, 14:27
The British invented closed-captioning? I think not! Closed-captioning is for the deaf or hard of hearing and whatever is being spoken on the program is written out in words at the bottom of the tube screen. Much less invasive than a signing head standing to the side. And closed-captioning can be turned on and off whenever one wants.

tony draper
5th Nov 2014, 14:48
One was speaking of the Television Mr Rock.:E

rgbrock1
5th Nov 2014, 14:56
Oh but Tony D, I think if you do the research you'll find the first prototype television set, showing moving images on a screen, was invented not by the British at all but by a young German university student in 1884.

Although the German's invention wasn't too practical, it was the Scottish inventor John Baird who was able to better implement the German's design.

:ok:

Molemot
5th Nov 2014, 14:56
The whole point of this thread is that captions are readily available to nearly all TV programmes these days...only needs a few button presses. Some captioning is better than others...at it's best, not only does it give all the dialogue, but sometimes has bits that never showed up on the soundtrack...this can help one to follow the plot! Given that subtitles are common, why on earth do we have to put up with the gurning idiot? Surely deaf people can read, these days....
I find subtitles useful myself, even though my hearing is well up to scratch.... some of the accents one finds in TV programmes are pretty impenetrable.... especially those from the Southern states or Geordieland. Subtitles mean one can follow the plot rather more easily....

wings folded
5th Nov 2014, 14:59
You're not meant to understand Geordies. That's why they appear so clever :E

tony draper
5th Nov 2014, 15:08
Wey aye hinny.:rolleyes:

eticket
5th Nov 2014, 15:10
ITV has an operation to produce signed programmes called 'SignPost'.

Naturally it is based in Gateshead! :p

Welcome to SignPost | signpost (http://www.signpostbsl.com/)

UniFoxOs
5th Nov 2014, 15:11
I suspect the real reason for signing rather than captioning is PC. Signing (I presume) is the same in any language, as the signs indicate things by shapes - for example a house is the same shape whatever the language. Captions in English only would raise a barrage of criticism.

funfly
5th Nov 2014, 16:20
Bit like Chinese then :rolleyes:

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2014, 16:29
Signing (I presume) is the same in any language,Except there are different versions of sign language.

A common misconception is that all sign languages are the same worldwide or that sign language is international.
The 2013 edition of Ethnologue lists 137 sign languages.Sign language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_language)

List of sign languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sign_languages)

4mastacker
5th Nov 2014, 17:05
A common misconception is that all sign languages are the same worldwide or that sign language is international.

I reckon the single, raised middle digit is recognised in every country of the world.

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2014, 17:09
I was once attacked (in southernmost Italy) for giving a 'thumbs-up' after the lady had allowed me to use her landline phone (in a cafe).

Windy Militant
5th Nov 2014, 18:59
It seems there are a number of Ppruners who are hard of thinking.
Most of the programmes that have a translator for deaf people are usually played at some god forsaken time of the night and usually on BBC easily recognised as being part of the SIGN ZONE. Also plainly flagged up on the iPlayer if you could be arsed to look. As you seem unable to see this one wonders why the bod on the screen bothers you as you obviously need nursey to take you grumpy old sods to the opticians. :8 :p;)

Edited to add that as they are usual first shown after the hearing versions they stay on the iplayer a few days longer so if you miss the original you can catch up.

teeteringhead
5th Nov 2014, 19:01
One tried - without success - to find a "signed" news programme a few years ago about the floods ....

............. in Cockermouth! :E

Windy Militant
5th Nov 2014, 19:07
You might find some thing close if you can find a repeat of the CBBC show Nuzzle and Scratch the episode where they get a job on an Ice Cream van.

I think it was meant to be the sign for eating an ice cream but I'm not convinced......:}

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2014, 19:20
OiY9IiV0p74

tony draper
5th Nov 2014, 19:55
One knows a disgustingly distasteful gloriously none PC joke about signing but of course one would not dream of posting it here.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/Deaddogbay003/mutley_zpswq9gcouu.gif (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/Deaddogbay003/mutley_zpswq9gcouu.gif.html)

rgbrock1
5th Nov 2014, 20:09
We await with abated breath for your joke Tony. :}:E

redsnail
5th Nov 2014, 20:13
Not the one Teeteringhead posted about signing "Cockermouth"? :E

tony draper
5th Nov 2014, 20:13
Good grief no Mr Rock, the thought police have more Black Helicopters than tother buggas.:uhoh:

Windy Militant
5th Nov 2014, 20:25
Unfortunately G-CPTN without the signing it loses the effect! ;)

jensdad
5th Nov 2014, 20:42
In signing, especially when any individual letters need to be spelled out, the differences can be quite subtle (number of fingers etc), so I would suggest that the signer does need to take up quite a bit of space on the screen. And as WindyMilitant points out , the vast majority of programmes on SignZone are freely available on iplayer.
I'm sorry to disappoint some of our correspondents, but it isn't a PC conspiracy.:ugh:

Tankertrashnav
6th Nov 2014, 00:08
rgb wrote

I'll assume, then, that closed-captioning on the tube is not an option in Britain?

Which led to some confusion because of different termninology

Most of the world does not distinguish closed captions from subtitles. In the United States and Canada, however, these terms do have different meanings. "Subtitles" assume the viewer can hear but cannot understand the language or accent, or the speech is not entirely clear, so they only transcribe dialogue and some on-screen text.

My italics. That would be why in the US some English programmes are subtitled (in English) because the watchers can't understand English ;)