PDA

View Full Version : swapping XP for Linux

Espada III
3rd Nov 2014, 21:17
Got a great Samsung notebook running XP but it is getting a little slow. Thinking about scrapping XP and replacing the OS with Ubuntu. Never done this before. Any comments, suggestions or advice. I have run a Linux notebook before so know how it works.

finncapt
4th Nov 2014, 06:08
If I were you, I would test Ubuntu on an usb stick (or other removeable media) to start with to see if it behaves happily with things like the wifi and microphone/camera before reformatting the hard drive and installing it properly.

I was given an old Acer Vista laptop recently on which Mint did not recognise the wireless card.

I probably could have made it work with some effort but as I wanted to use it in the garage, which has a wired connection, it was not a problem.

mixture
4th Nov 2014, 06:51
XP is obsolete, you are a risk to yourself and the rest of the internet by continuing to use it.

The ONLY choices you have are :

(a) Migrate to Windows 7 or 8
(b) Migrate to Linux

Running XP is NOT an option.

As for your plan, if you've run a Linux notebook before then I'm not sure what you need from us ? Just reformat the drive and install Linux ?

BEagle
4th Nov 2014, 07:50
With effect from 31 Oct 2014, Micro$oft stopped providing retail versions of Windows 7 & Windows 8. The only 'high street' Windows OS version now being sold is Windows 8.1. Which at least isn't as horrid as Win8.

Next year will (probably) see Windows 10. There is some speculation that Win8.1 users may be offered this as a free 'upgrade'.....

So it seems that Linux or Win8.1 are your only real options to upgrade from the highly popular WinXP, Espada III.

seacue
4th Nov 2014, 09:38
Finncapt:I was given an old Acer Vista laptop recently on which Mint did not recognise the wireless card. Did you try Linux Mint 17 or newer? They include a newer driver for wireless that knows about more wireless cards. I have an old XP netbook which had XP. Mint13 did not recognize its wireless card but Mint 17 did.

le Pingouin
4th Nov 2014, 10:31
Aside from following your nose with the installation process you might want to consider one of the other *buntus. Not sure of the age of the laptop but Xubuntu will give you "traditional" interface (none of that pointless touch oriented stuff) that is light on system requirements.

As Mixture says "XP is not an option".

finncapt
4th Nov 2014, 11:37
Yes, it has Mint 17 on it.

It did not work with 17 but, as I didn't need wireless (too far to garage 30 metres and I have plumbed in an underground cat 6 cable), I decided not to waste time and effort looking too deeply into it.

Googling the problem came up with several possible solutions and I am sure I could have solved it.

Wireless didn't work too well with the original Vista either.

I use it for reading the electrics diagrams (on CD) of a car - old age means it's difficult to read the paper copy.

mad_jock
4th Nov 2014, 11:48
I have used fedora a lot in the past for weird hardware and so far it has never let me down.

HAve a blast with that.

For an old notebook I wouldn't put anything windows near it.

Its like getting a new machine when you put Linux on it, it flys along.

Booglebox
4th Nov 2014, 13:59
Feel free to run XP if you like, OP. After all, you're in good company:
- UK Border Force
- NHS
- Several very large legacy airlines
- Eurocontrol

Firefox, Google Chrome and MS Security Essentials are all issuing updates / virus definitions for XP for the next couple of years.
I note that in the past 6 months, despite XP having a ~15% marketshare the internet hasn't been destroyed yet :rolleyes: You doing so won't make a jot of difference. Nevertheless I would stay away from online banking / shopping on that machine though.

(it could be worse. UK's nuclear subs run a mix of 2K and XP (http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Submarines-Windows-Royal-Navy,6718.html), and bits of the R.A.F. are still on NT4...)

If you want to replace your OS with a supported one (good idea), candidates include:
- Server 2003 R2: XP interface (if you enable Themes), supported until next July
- POSready 2009: XP interface (if you install the Luna theme), supported until 2019
- Windows Thin PC: lighter version of Windows 7

mixture
4th Nov 2014, 15:38
Feel free to run XP if you like, OP. After all, you're in good company:
- UK Border Force
- NHS
- Several very large legacy airlines
- Eurocontrol

Firefox, Google Chrome and MS Security Essentials are all issuing updates / virus definitions for XP for the next couple of years.

Do not listen to a word of what he says, it's complete and utter rubbish.

(A) the large organisations have done deals with Microsoft to remain update and supported
(B) large companies and government have significant layered security that home users (and small businesses) do not have
(C) large companies and government have significant IT departments who know what thy are doing
(D) as I have said here a million bloody times .... I don't give a toss if third party software developers (whether anti-virus, web browsers or otherwise ) are issuing updates for THEIR software. GET IT INTO YOUR HEADS THAT IF MICROSOFT ARE NOT UPDATING THE OPERATING SYSTEM THEN ALL SOFTWARE RUNNING ON IT IS NOT SECURE BECAUSE IT BECOMES TRIVIAL TO EXPLOIT THE OPERATING SYSTEM AND ITS DEVELOPER APIs ... THUS RENDERING ANY THIRD PARTY SOFTWARE SECURITY CLAIMS OBSOLETE

And yes, that third-party software developer statement includes any Microsoft products that run on top of the operating system (e.g. Office and Security Essentials).

Furthermore, the more time progresses, the exponentially more trivial it will become to exploit the underlying operating system and its developer APIs.

All of the above are black and white hard facts. They are not debatable or open to alternative interpretations. They are the hard facts. Anyone telling you otherwise is not telling the truth.

Running XP is NOT an option.

vulcanised
4th Nov 2014, 16:30
Do not listen to a word of what he says, it's complete and utter rubbish.

That's what you like to believe but your claims have so far proved to be about as relevant as the dire warnings over the 'Milennium Bug'.

mixture
4th Nov 2014, 16:40
That's what you like to believe but your claims have so far proved to be about as relevant as the dire warnings over the 'Milennium Bug'.

You're making up nonsense too...

(a) Its not "my claims" ... its hard technical facts. There are no "claims".

(b) How do you know what the world would have been like if no action was taken over the 'Millennium Bug'. The fact proactive action was taken prevented many problems occurring. I have seen sufficient examples to know the action taken was worthwhile.

sherburn2LA
4th Nov 2014, 19:22
Not a very sporting reply from BB. Could try being a bit more subtle to get a bite. Especially as the OP wants to get rid of XP.

My view for what it is worth if you cleans up XP by getting rid of bloatware / malware and restricting start up processes you could get a new lease of life from it. Better yet do a reinstall using nlite with all the fixes slipstreamed in and the bloat removed at source.
If you don't have anything on it you care about and are happy to go back to a re-image if needed then run without a virus checker as well. I would suggest host file blocking with something like mvps for a bit of lightweight protection - doubles as a very good ad blocker.

So far as Linux goes all very good advice given. Ubuntu the market leader ad easiest to install but suffering a bit from bloat itself now. Easy to do a USB stick boot or dual boot though. CentOS a more lightweight but well supported alternative. It depends how much effort you want to put into finding something optimal for you.

Booglebox
4th Nov 2014, 20:39
You got me Sherburn :O seriously though, I posted my opinion and I refuse to tread on eggshells because it might irritate literally one other user on here...

Thoroughly agree with slipstreaming fixes. And I would recommend Xubuntu or possibly Debian for linux distros.

Espada III
4th Nov 2014, 22:41
Thank you all for your advice even if some of it went over my head. I will do some more research before I decide what to do. I saw a lovely MS Surface tonight and could well be tempted. ....

Booglebox
5th Nov 2014, 15:29
Great idea. Surface Pro 3 is jolly nice :ok: