PDA

View Full Version : Area 51

TOWTEAMBASE
3rd Nov 2014, 21:03
Very interesting programme on the I player, how the Americans bought titanium from Russian without them knowing, and ultimately building something to be used against them. And the SR71 being spotted from a Russian satellite AFTER it had been removed and put in the hangar due to the earth in its shadow being cooler than the exposed earth, leaving a heat signature it it's shape. Sad part though where one ex security guard now allegedly has lung cancer because of breathing in the toxins from burning anti radar materials. Worth a look

meadowrun
3rd Nov 2014, 21:08
Area 51 had to be vacated.
Please see Area 73.

G-CPTN
3rd Nov 2014, 21:36
And the title of the programme please?

(A search on 'Area 51' returned no hits - not surprising if 'it doesn't exist'.)

Dushan
3rd Nov 2014, 23:17
Ask con-pilot. I think he is from there.

TOWTEAMBASE
3rd Nov 2014, 23:27
Area 51-the CIA secrets files

con-pilot
4th Nov 2014, 00:45
Ask con-pilot. I think he is from there.

Jeez, just how many darn times do I have to tell you that it is Roswell. :suspect:

The guy at Area 51 is Bert, turned left when he should have turned right when he was on his way to pick us up.

Now I'm stuck here for another Srhamberfart week. That's about a thousand Earth years.

But I'm okay as long as the Scotch lasts.

rh200
4th Nov 2014, 01:32
I always wanted to visit Area 69, I hear thats where all good stuff goes on.:p

421dog
4th Nov 2014, 02:12
Few years ago flew out to Vegas and as an afternoon's entertainment set out to circumnavigate said area.

ATC rapidly caught on to what we were doing and were very helpful with flight following.

They were explicit as to how to avoid military entanglements.

Apparently, it's a pretty popular route.

West Coast
4th Nov 2014, 02:32
ABQ-SFO leg routes you by Area 51. Great view. Be an interesting point to have an uncontrollable engine fire, etc, might tempt me to make a play for the runway and a sh!tload of questions to follow.

Buster Hyman
4th Nov 2014, 08:30
I was looking for Area 69 on a map, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Ogre
4th Nov 2014, 10:10
I always imagined a rather dusty hanger in the desert somewhere crammed full of unimaginable treasures (a bit like the hanger in Indiana Jones) with a sign on the outside saying "Area 52", completely forgotten becuase everyone stops at the big place next door

racedo
4th Nov 2014, 17:36
I was looking for Area 69 on a map, but I couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Area 69 was that Hookers ranch that US Govt owned because of back taxes
Area 66 was always San Francisco
Area 666 is Washington DC

con-pilot
4th Nov 2014, 17:52
Area 69 was that Hookers ranch that US Govt owned because of back taxes

Not only owned it, but operated it for a while as well. The US Marshal Service operated the ranch at a profit until some reporter found out about it and wrote a story, which when the story was aired on a major TV network, Congress forced the Marshal Service to shut it down and lock the doors.

We were never too sure why congress made us shut it down, one reason we thought was that Congress didn't want the US Government to operate a whore house, but we figured that the real reason was that we were operating the whore house at a profit and Congress got jealous.

Dushan
4th Nov 2014, 18:23
I think the US government already operates a whore house with 539 whores in it.

con-pilot
4th Nov 2014, 19:13
I think the US government already operates a whore house with 539 whores in it.

Yeppers, that was my point. :ok:

OFSO
4th Nov 2014, 21:36
Reflecting that "Stargate" was made at the Colorado Springs facility with the full cooperation of the US military, it's a pity they did not apply the same precedent to the Hookers Ranch, which also being owned by the US government could have been leased out to make a worthwhile TV series. Although possibly not about interstellar travel.

BenThere
4th Nov 2014, 22:34
Always liked the image of living in the desert at Edwards, in a comfortable but simple duplex on base, with nothing to do but think about excellence in flying.

I've done some considerable time in test programs there, but always on TDY, just there to certify or work on the air refueling aspect and its certification of the new aircraft coming on line.

The only entertainment they had there were the dry gulch bars making a living off them.

The sky was always blue. They had the best machines in the world. They had time to think. They were young. All that is good.