PDA

View Full Version : BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD !!

hifly787
3rd Nov 2014, 11:39
Japanese whisky beats Scotch
A Japanese Whisky has been voted as the worlds finest in the annual list compiled by Jim Murrays Whisky Bible beating the likes of Scotch . Scottish Distillers were unable to make the Top Five. The publication listed Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013 as indescribable genius and awarded it 9.75 out of a possible 10. Murray asserted it was a wake up call for Scotch and time to get back to basics. The 2014 Whisky Bible contains taste notes for 4700 whiskies.

Lonewolf_50
3rd Nov 2014, 14:06
Does one have to order this from Japan, or do they distribute globally?

It appears to have not made it into our local liquor store, and the Suntory web page (http://www.pprune.org/Yamazaki Single Malt Sherry Cask 2013) does not seem to have it for sale. :{

MagnusP
3rd Nov 2014, 14:09
does not seem to have it for sale.

Con-pilot has already bought all world-wide stocks. :p

handsfree
3rd Nov 2014, 14:34
I've only found it listed on one site

Yamazaki Whisky - Buy Yamazaki Whiskies Online - Master of Malt (http://www.masterofmalt.com/distilleries/yamazaki-whisky-distillery/)

Oddly enough SOLD OUT. Was 101.28 a bottle.

Lon More
3rd Nov 2014, 17:10
Oddly enough SOLD OUT. Was 101.28 a bottle

Probably 99% of the bottles sold will never be opened. Eventually changing hand for ever increasing prices

Capetonian
3rd Nov 2014, 17:12
Probably 99% of the bottles sold will never be opened. Eventually changing hand for ever increasing prices So they could be filled with rat's pee. This is the idiocy of 'collecting' wines, whiskies, etc and never drinking them, it just seems perfectly pointless.

OFSO
3rd Nov 2014, 17:22
and never drinking them

and how, pray, does one do this ? Around 9 p.m. each evening I go on the hunt for a digestive biscuit with a very thin slice of Red Leicester on top, and into the malt store for a smidgen of something nice there, preferably an Ardbeg. The very thought of never opening a bottle shocks me to my core.

BlankBox
3rd Nov 2014, 17:38
...every time I pass thru Taiwan I pick up a few of these...

The Best New Whiskey: Kavalan | Asia by Frida (http://asiabyfrida.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/the-best-new-whiskey-kavalan/)

http://img15.hostingpics.net/pics/458969kavalanbottle.jpg

...will give the nips a run for their money...then some... :D

OFSO
3rd Nov 2014, 17:42
So they could be filled with rat's pee.

I had a bottle of this at the Savoy Grill in May 2013. Wanting to try something from north of the Pyrannees I ordered a bottle of Roussilon wine. My wife said "you've only yourself to blame" and after the first sip I realised how right she was.

radeng
3rd Nov 2014, 19:53
'Best' whisky is so judgemental that it comes down to what one likes. I like Lagavullin, but I also like Booker Noes - although I do have to add a little water to that.

I'm told that the alcohol content of Booker Noes is such that it is considered Hazardous Cargo for air transport.....

Fareastdriver
3rd Nov 2014, 21:08
The standard of Scotch whisky has been going downhill since the end of WWII. This can be seen by the number of 18/15/12 year old whiskies on the market. There is always a premium on these whiskies that I cannot understand. If they cannot sell it for 18/15/12 years what's so good about it?

Espada III
3rd Nov 2014, 21:33
Even regular Yamazaki is excellent. I had a party to celebrate my half century and lined up eight bottles of malt. I predicted with unerring accuracy which bottles would be drunk with which speed. The Yamazaki and Macallan Gold went completely and a decent midrange malt was ignored totally.

I have gone off most malts now; they burn as they go down and you cannot taste anything after the first mouthful. Good whisky should have flavour that lasts.

Private jet
3rd Nov 2014, 22:06
Never understood the "allure" of whisky/Scotch or indeed any spirit. All taste like radioactive horse pi** and no good for your insides either.

Caboclo
3rd Nov 2014, 23:52
I think we would all agree that there is considerable difference in the sense of taste from one person to another. I can't stand either whiskey or beer. I've heard that cilantro tastes like soap to some people. So, is the difference due to nature or nurture?

PTT
3rd Nov 2014, 23:55
All taste like radioactive horse pi**
When did you try that?

Ascend Charlie
4th Nov 2014, 10:27
And last year the best Scotch came from Tasmania. Very subjective stuff, this tasting.

The best wine or whisky is the one YOU like the best, not what some self-appointed master says is the best.

Reminds me of the old comment:

"Errgh! Cunnilingus! Don't you find that distasteful?"

"Distaste is da best taste in da world!":8

Tankertrashnav
4th Nov 2014, 10:40
This is shattering news for the Scots. They are going to have to beat the Japs at their own game and come out with something they are really good at and produce something superior in Scotland.

How about cars? They could produce a car that would threaten the Japanese hold on world car sales.

Something like the Hillman Imp? :eek:

Yamagata ken
4th Nov 2014, 12:25
I enjoy whisky, and certainly single malts, but make no pretence of having a discriminating palate. I drink Nikka Black, a blended whisky distilled locally here in Tohoku, it goes down very nicely. FWIW, a 750ml bottle costs less than 800 Yen here. Call it 4 pounds 50p. :)

Vercingetorix
4th Nov 2014, 12:37
Tankertrasnav

:):):):):):):):)

P.S. I had a Hillman Imp until the head gasket blew and the clutch seized. Great car for cornering but very unreliable, front shockers wore out in a shockingly short time.
Lots of fun though!

RJM
4th Nov 2014, 13:52
I had a job once which involved selling extractor exhaust headers for Imps. Four little tubes about as thick as your thumb!

G-CPTN
5th Nov 2014, 00:01
The concept of the Hillman Imp was sound - but the development was flawed.

So many good points and so many unreliable ones.

It cost me more to run the Imp than the Jaguar 3.4 MkII that I parted with for the Imp in order to save money to get married . . . :ugh:

sitigeltfel
5th Nov 2014, 07:05
How to turn your "horse piss" into premium grade........

The wooden stick that makes cheap whisky taste expensive - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/the-filter/11207659/The-wooden-stick-that-makes-cheap-whisky-taste-expensive.html)

Pinky the pilot
5th Nov 2014, 09:23
I drink Nikka Black, a blended whisky distilled locally here in Tohoku,

Arrigato gozaimasu, Yamagata-san! I will look for a bottle of it next year when I return to Hokkaido.:ok:

(Hopefully it can be found up there!:hmm:)

Yamagata ken
5th Nov 2014, 10:15
Pinky. Nikka Black is ubiquitous. Nothing fancy, just a very palatable drop at a very palatable price. Cheeers :thumbsup:

Yamagata ken
5th Nov 2014, 10:24
FWIW, the story of Japanese whisky is quite interesting. Masataka Taketsuru travelled to Scotland in 1918 where he studied organic chemistry and whisky making. He married a local girl and they returned to Japan in 1920. He helped establish Suntory as a whisky distiller before moving to Hokkaido and starting his own company: Nikka.

Masataka Taketsuru - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Masataka_Taketsuru)

Lonewolf_50
5th Nov 2014, 13:32
I like her already. (Frida, who promotes Ka Va Lan whisky in above link).
She drinks whisky.
She presents the following sentiments:
Although whiskey isn’t y soul mate like tea is, whiskey has been my choice of poison for the past decade. I like my poison the way I like my men – strong and quiet. With at least 40% alcohol, whiskey means business. But more important, whiskey is a quiet drink. It doesn’t come with artificial color, sugar or an umbrella which screams, “I’m so pretty. Look at me!” Best of all, it doesn’t give me a bad hangover the next day.
Good gal.

mikedreamer787
5th Nov 2014, 16:28
All taste like radioactive horse pi**

When did you try that?

Yeah I'm curious too. How did you come by
the radioactive variety? Did you accidently
guzzle any of the stuff in Chernobal years
ago thinking it was Scotch?

flying lid
5th Nov 2014, 17:50
Around 9 p.m. each evening I go on the hunt for a digestive biscuit with a very thin slice of Red Leicester on top

Red Leicester on a digestive -- Pure heaven

As for Whisky, I drink very little of it, though a Glenfiddich on a cold winters night as a last drink before walking home from the pub is occasionally imbibed.

Lid

Tankertrashnav
6th Nov 2014, 00:14
Lid - stand by for the single malt bores pooh-poohing Glenfiddich and extolling some 60 a bottle concoction which tastes of mud.

Quite like the odd Glenfiddich myself - and Bells too, if it comes to that!