PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten airplanes in barns...

pigboat
3rd Nov 2014, 01:49
Connie why don't you nip over to Midland and see what he wants for the Mallard? ;)

Rare warbirds to depart Edwards ranch. (http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2014/August/Pilot/f_talltale)

Matari
3rd Nov 2014, 02:02
Great find, pigboat, thanks. Interesting what he says in video about the P-51 and Spitfire handling vs. the ME-109.

con-pilot
3rd Nov 2014, 02:12
Okay, will do, but I'll need to take a six pack of beer with me before he'll probably talk to me. :p

Mechta
3rd Nov 2014, 10:58
From the article:

... best known for choreographing and flying many of the aerial scenes in Battle of Britain, a 1969 movie that starred Michael Caine and Sir Lawrence Olivier...I'll correct that for the benefit of those on Pprune:

...best known for choreographing and flying many of the aerial scenes in Battle of Britain, a 1969 movie that starred Susannah York.

PLovett
3rd Nov 2014, 20:20
...best known for choreographing and flying many of the aerial scenes in Battle of Britain, a 1969 movie that starred Susannah York.

There must be a version of Godwin's Law about the film, "The Battle of Britain" that involves Susannah York and suspender belts. :D

I was told of this place years ago in the context of....... if one wanted to fly a warbird without too many restrictions sort of thing.

pigboat
3rd Nov 2014, 20:37
Okay, will do, but I'll need to take a six pack of beer with me before he'll probably talk to me.
Sounds about right. :D

Effluent Man
4th Nov 2014, 09:34
I wondered where they had gone.I was skiving off school on the beach when the whole caboodle flew over.Must have been June '68.

Shannon volmet
9th Nov 2014, 19:26
Don't forget that those '109's' were license built by CASA in Spain, and fitted with RR Merlin engines due to the scarcity/non-availability of the Daimler-Benz.

Probably not a fair comparison. Have a read of 'The Decisive Duel' by David Isby if you want to learn something nearer the truth.

Mike:ok:

Matari
9th Nov 2014, 21:33
Shannon volmet,

Good point about the Merlins in the CASA 109s. That makes sense for the climb rate, but what about the stick forces in the turn?

I will take a look at Isby's book, it seems very interesting.

Thanks!