PDA

View Full Version : Connecting my pc to my LCD TV.

magpienja
2nd Nov 2014, 19:42
I see my TV has a socket to hook up to my PC....Samsung LCD around 42"

What kind of performance can I expect if I hook it up to the PC and is it much of a faf.

Nick.

FullOppositeRudder
2nd Nov 2014, 20:38
The performance should be good.

Getting them to play nicely shouldn't be too hard - especially if you have a HDMI interface socket on each device. This is the preferred option, but don't pay ripoff prices for the HDMI cable.

A VGA connection (if available) should still be workable - perhaps a little more experimentation with settings may be needed.

papajuliet
2nd Nov 2014, 21:39
As FOR says - an HDMI cable connects from the TV HDMI socket to the graphics card HDMI socket.
Note that the cable has a normal HDMI connector on one end and a small one on the other. I didn't realise that and bought the wrong cable for £9.99 from a local shop. Then bought the correct one for [ I think from memory] 99p off the internet. I've run it for some months now with good results.

finncapt
3rd Nov 2014, 07:49
I use a PC connected to a Samsung TV for catch up TV.

Mine uses a normal size HDMI connector both ends.

You may have to tell the TV that it is a PC you are attaching and you may need to tell the PC that you want the sound to go through the HDMI cable - I had to - read the manual.

If your PC only has a DVI output, you can get a DVI/HDMI cable (or just a converter) but you also need to use the green speaker out connector, with a suitable cable, to the TV sound jack.

Mine works perfectly but it will depend on how good your graphics card is - most modern ones should be OK.

You may have to adjust the resolution (I use linux but windoze may do it automatically) and if the PC output is larger/smaller than the TV area (black border or bottom bar not visible) this can all be adjusted to fit (google is your friend).

Booglebox
3rd Nov 2014, 09:06
I use video & audio over DisplayPort, which works great, but this is only included with reasonably recent PCs (~2011 onwards)

magpienja
3rd Nov 2014, 17:16
My PC only has the blue plug type connector that plugs into our monitor not sure of its tech name...the TV has the same,

I will give it a try...thanks for your help guys.

finncapt
3rd Nov 2014, 18:16
Sounds like it is VGA so sound will require the green plug connector as I said before.

It will work but you will probably have to fiddle to get the resolution right and possibly the screen area.

It's a long time since I have used VGA so the how to is a bit rusty.

Again, google is your friend.