PDA

View Full Version : US bank account. Non resident, non citizen.

Plazbot
1st Nov 2014, 15:34
Hello

Does anyone have any information on the preferred/best bank for a non US resident or citizen to set up an account. Google informs me it is allowed. I found on the HSBC US Web site details on their offering but am looking on any further suggestions. Initial deposit will be from a third country then future deposits from UAE.

leondelfierro
1st Nov 2014, 18:31
I'm not sure how to request an account "remotely" but if you are able to take advance of any USA visit... just show up in any wells fargo and let them know. I got mine like that, it'll take you 20-30 mins.
They'll give you a savings account with debit card and checks and charge you with some 10-12 bucks a month.

flyprincess
1st Nov 2014, 18:39
Used to be you could set up an account via the internet only, but then that was pre-9/11. I had a US Mailing address - not sure if it mattered. You might consider having someone is the US set up a mailbox for you if need be.

herman the crab
2nd Nov 2014, 06:11
Another recommendation for Wells Fargo.

HTC

mixture
3rd Nov 2014, 08:52
Go to the your local Citibank in your local country and ask for a USD deposit account. Job done.

Shanwick Shanwick
3rd Nov 2014, 09:18
Bank of America do non-resident accounts

ExXB
3rd Nov 2014, 10:10
Do you want a US account or a USD account? Many banks will do USD accounts.

piperboy84
3rd Nov 2014, 10:26
If you have to open one statside use a state that has no personal income tax for the address and the branch where the account is held otherwise you get on their radar for earning interest with no accompanying state tax return, then they start assessing you , then it turns into a clusterf&&k, then if you visit that state frequently they may do a residency audit, then yada yada yada

Best get a USD account at a Uk bank and leave well enough alone.

Plazbot
4th Nov 2014, 06:44
Thanks all. Very useful.

Delawareconnect
9th Nov 2014, 12:36
Try Fidelity. May work for you. Branches in many places around the world