PDA

View Full Version : Can aircraft occupant "average" weights be far behind?

9 lives
31st Oct 2014, 01:59
170 pounds really isn't representative for an occupant anymore - and someone is noticing:

Crash test dummies getting fatter to match American drivers - World - CBC News (http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/crash-test-dummies-getting-fatter-to-match-american-drivers-1.2818658)

Armchairflyer
31st Oct 2014, 21:15
Was already a contributing factor in a fatal crash about ten years ago, no idea if another update would be necessary, but one would suppose that the aviation authorities are now aware of the problem :confused:: Air Midwest Flight 5481 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_Midwest_Flight_5481) .

JOE-FBS
5th Nov 2014, 11:32
As with all engineering, the answer is not as simple as it looks. Just designing for heavier occupants may have other consequences. This is a subject I discussed in my years in airline seat design and scaling the seat to suit really heavy people can make it unsuitable for really light people. I noticed an example of this today in a UK AAIB report on an Extra crash in 2008 in which it was thought that the heavier occupant was protected from some injury by his seat cracking (hence absorbing energy) while the lighter occupant's seat did not crack and she suffered worse spinal injuries.

FlightDetent
6th Nov 2014, 14:33
J-F: thank you for your input. While I am certainly no expert on the subject - and have no talent nor intetnion to become one - I come visit this site to broaden my views. Which you just did. :O

Respectfully,
FD

john_tullamarine
6th Nov 2014, 19:35
Like J-F, I spent quite some years with a seat OEM as a design and certification engineer.

Several thoughts -

(a) current standards involve dynamic testing which address a measure of the actual loads expected to be experienced in a survivable mishap

(b) at the end of the day, the design mass standards are just a reasonable (but not all-encompassing) yardstick against which to measure design and performance

(c) considering (a), if the loads much exceed the relevant Standards, the occupant is likely to be in a world of hurt regardless of his/her particular mass

JOE-FBS
6th Nov 2014, 20:46
FD that is possibly the politest post I have ever seen on a forum, thank you even though I don't deserve it