PDA

View Full Version : Tax paid when on China contracts

highfive
30th Oct 2014, 02:50
Many agencies state " china tax paid by airline" . I have a question for anyone who cares to help : Do you get a statement of how much tax has been paid by the airline ?

For double taxation purposes, it's usual to show one revenue centre evidence of tax paid in another state. That can then be offset against what is owed, say if you are working out of the UK. If there is no breakdown on the amount the Chinese have paid then it would be difficult to commute and claim double taxation relief.

The thought of working in mainland china doesn't float my boat, but may be a way to do a commuting job that has acceptable pay, presuming double taxation can be claimed.

Any comments appreciated.

WYOMINGPILOT
30th Oct 2014, 03:07
Every airline is different but don't expect too much in the form of documentation. The Chinese cheat profusely on paying taxes so not much is actually paid on your behalf. I do receive a tax statement but it doesn't amount to very much which they have paid so almost basically worthless. Some airlines may pay a flat 10-15% but most do not. In other words don't count on using what they pay to offset your taxes due as it will not amount to much. This job will wear you down if you commute continually. My advice is to bite the bullet and come here for 5 years and save a bundle of cash and then move back to your home country. The schedules, long days, worlds worst ATC flow control system will eventually wear you down if you commute. I have seen many pilots come and go and those who commute generally last only 1-2 years and then quit. If you avoid the big cities in the north life is actually quite good here.

Oceanic815Pilot
30th Oct 2014, 08:16
My 2 cents...

Shenzhen Air actually paid the full taxes due. Or at least I got stamped "chopped" tax receipts and a copy of the Chinese tax return which is all I really cared about. It worked well and I accumulated a tax paid surplus.

Also, I was there on a non-commuting contract and can concur that the ATC system and general frustrations of Chinese airlines can wear a person down rather quickly. Having said that if I went back it would be on a commuting contract. Just knowing I was getting out of mainland China would be all the motivation I would need to make it through a four or six week rotation.