PDA

View Full Version : Anomolies

airplaneridesrfun
29th Oct 2014, 18:19
When I joined, I was told to expect a few things.

1. The ability to take a base
2. Top notch insurance for my family in Hong Kong and my home country.
3. The ability to be take a freighter command within 3 years if I wanted
4. Temporary basing opportunities were available around the world
5. I would be in receipt of great travel benefits

The ability to take a base was important to me at the time. However, taking 4 months of temporary bases was ok with me too being based in Hong Kong. Now, with the lack of any bases, I have to wonder to the extent that I am being exploited to stay in Hong Kong.

If I take my family home, I do not really have health insurance for them. Yes, I do have coverage; but only to a certain extent.

Recently, freighter FO's have been converted to passenger FO's without a bid to confirm them in to the passenger fleet on their base, and I have heard a rumor that this will be happening to Captains in the future as well (YVR and LHR). That will be disappointing to me if I'm still here.

The company unilaterally has increased the price of travel benefits to us in past years, without a corresponding increase in our pay. They effectively are making a great deal of money using a system that treats us like peasants. Compare this to some airlines in the industry that charge their staff nothing for travel, and give them the best seat available in the plane in seniority order.

Now, the question is.... is it really worth working for this company anymore?? It seems like I've wasted years of my life, but there comes a point when you have to cut your losses.

Flying Clog
29th Oct 2014, 19:20
In response to your last paragraph - nope, and yup.

Thanks Cathay management, you've outdone yourselves. A decade or so I joined an airline that many aspired too. Now only the dregs would join this dump.

:ugh:

Arfur Dent
29th Oct 2014, 20:49
Do you mean anomAlies??