PDA

View Full Version : EK still flying to Baghdad, Kabul, etc...

DesertDawg45
29th Oct 2014, 15:26
Anyone want to comment on why they think this is still happening (other than the obvious) and the contradiction of avoiding airspace over conflict areas but flying into them? It doesn't seem to make any sense.

frankie777
29th Oct 2014, 16:16
Easy answer, money. You ate right it is a contradiction of what they write and say. I guess the routes must be full of military personnel or oil people to make it worthwhile. Certainly Erbil seems an imortant destination with a lot of investment. IS is not that far away though. As for Kabul it will remain to be seen what happens aftef the US & UK leave them on their own. Personally I find flying in to these places leaves a lot to be desired and the riska are possibly underrated by the companies that fly in to them.

Airmann
29th Oct 2014, 16:52
It's not just money, it's reputation and what they think is right. Reality is that you can't put passengers who wish to go to a country other than Iraq in danger by flying them over Iraq. Whereas those that but an air ticket to Iraq are fully aware of what they are getting themselves into . As for crew, airplane etc these are ultimately expendable since once you've signed that contract the airline believes they own you. And as far as they are concerned and as for the reality of how far the justice system will go to protect you in most middle eastern states are concerned, they do. I just don't understand why people still come here.

Ethiopia
13th Nov 2014, 10:48
Emirates to resume services to Erbil (http://aviationtribune.com/airlines/middle-east/item/1766-emirates-to-resume-services-to-erbil)

777-200LR
14th Nov 2014, 10:56
Imagine we suspended services every time something happened at one of our destinations....we would need a pilot group less than 25% of what we have today. Imagine we stopped flying to Canada because of what happened in their parliament recently? Or suspended 6 daily flights to KHI because of what happened a few months ago? Maybe 3 daily flights to MNL because there is a well known terror group that operate regularly without making the BBC news...
Last but not least cancel 8 daily (most profitable route we have) to LHR/LGW because every IS fighter on TV we see is of british nationality and the terror alert there is 'Severe'. Please tell me you don't believe those guys become 'cut-your-head-off' happy and brain washed only after they arrive at the Turkish boarder :=

I'm siding with the company on this one

nolimitholdem
14th Nov 2014, 13:13
Seems pretty stupid to compare a couple of mentally ill people in Canada to ISIS.

Yes, there are radicals in the UK, Canada, Pakistan, Philippines et al but to try and put Toronto or London in the same category as Kabul or Erbil is absurd. Unless you are trying to claim there are large groups of armed militants actually fighting pitched ground battles just outside of YYZ and LHR.

I don't care what EK does but at least make a logical argument for it. It's just money, nothing more. The crews are expendable. Remember, Safety Third! (After profits and "brand").

One MANPAD in the hands of a militant will put paid to "siding with the company", until then, business as usual.

Keep yer head down...

Am NOT Sure
14th Nov 2014, 13:55
These are profitable times

Ek enjoyed formidable presence during the gulf war

Many of us value the job and if emirates stopped flying to many of those troubled destination .. We'll you know the answer to that

777-200LR
14th Nov 2014, 14:12
nolimiholdem - you got my point, all you did was state the obvious:D
Do i have to mention GLA in 2007? We as crew walk right next to where that exploded car was rammed into the terminal building when we get off the crew bus.....and that is no Kabul or Erbil

If you're feeling expendable, I suggest you take a reality check

fatbus
14th Nov 2014, 14:51
More like disposable

LGW Vulture
14th Nov 2014, 15:34
I was surprised to hear of terrorist activities in Manila. I was even more surprised to learn that......

"The largest Islamic terrorist group in the Philippines is the Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF),":uhoh::uhoh:

CaptainChipotle
15th Nov 2014, 09:18
I've seen some SCARY MILFS in my day!!

vfenext
16th Nov 2014, 03:17
Mensa, way to go with the caps lock. It gave great comedy effect to an otherwise racist rant full of ilinformed over excited nonsense. Calm down child!

White Knight
16th Nov 2014, 04:11
You are an EK EGHQ clown

Typical reaction from mensaboy if he doesn't agree with you...:rolleyes:

White Knight
16th Nov 2014, 04:18
NO..... not every ISIL fighter, as you CLEARLY stated, is from the UK.

No he didn't Mensa you cheeky chappy... He said this;

because every IS fighter on TV we see is of british nationality

A little different I would say:ugh:

TangoUniform
16th Nov 2014, 17:35
MENSABOY, Where you been man? We have missed your wisdom and philosophy. Good to see some "old heads" back on the ME forum. It's been years.
TU

Am NOT Sure
17th Nov 2014, 14:11
Please leave Mensaboy alone

Some of us long for this amusement

I hope ur Annual Leave is somewhere soon

alwayzinit
18th Nov 2014, 06:52
Just for information's sake:

Daily Telegraph this morning reporting a massive truck bomb in Kabul.

Peace and harmony continue to rule....................................

777-200LR
19th Nov 2014, 03:34
mensaboy;

As you can see I don't post often so I'm not familiar with you like your reputation here suggests. You clearly have a problem with those that you disagree with. I am always open to criticism but you take it to a whole new level:D

I must correct you though, I am not British and there is a good possibility I have flown you and/or your family somewhere on the network.

I will continue to fly where I am asked to because I work for a company that puts food on my table and my kids in school; I am someone else's hero

777-200LR

ManaAdaSistem
21st Nov 2014, 17:18
A SAM up the tailpipe of an EK plane flying in or out of a war zone, and the airline will be labeled as a high risk airline. Questions will be asked, but good answers will hard to find.

Mensa is not far from the mark.

White Knight
21st Nov 2014, 17:20
Mensaboy. Go see a therapist😅😅😅😅

White Knight
21st Nov 2014, 17:23
That's funny. A two post Mana (slight change of name) agreeing with mensaboy... Only one psycho nut job on the forum here at the moment!!!!!

Mensa. Grow up you silly ****

Edited for politeness...

ManaAdaSistem
21st Nov 2014, 17:31
I'm a better me, but apart from the personal attack from mensaboy, I don't see anything wrong with what he is saying.

White Knight
21st Nov 2014, 17:44
You don't need to be in a 'war zone' to get a SAM up the arse...

Mombassa and AVIA ring a bell? @newmana...

JAARule
21st Nov 2014, 17:56
777Boyo, that is one quality rant, points for effort! :D

And some worthy points too in amongst the spittle. But many here bury their heads in sand so most of it may be a waste of time.

Keep it coming boyo.

Whitey that was a wet fish with which you were just slapped in the face. Hammour, I think.

ManaAdaSistem
21st Nov 2014, 18:05
Of course not, but the odds are "better" when you operate into Afghanistan and Iraq.
EK and the insurers have crunched the numbers and operations continue, but only time will tell if they are right.

mooseknuckles
31st Jan 2015, 12:18
3 US contractors killed in shooting at Kabul airport - Middle East - Stripes (http://www.stripes.com/news/middle-east/3-us-contractors-killed-in-shooting-at-kabul-airport-1.326553)