PDA

View Full Version : NZCAA stating the obvious?

prospector
28th Oct 2014, 20:56
A safety investigation has identified that when a pilot operating a fixed-wing aircraft, in the
agricultural role, releases the power lever on take-off to place their hand on the ‘dump’ lever,
there is a potential safety risk of the power lever migrating back uncommanded.
This movement of the power lever could cause the engine to develop less power, leading to an
undesired power loss at a critical phase of flight.

I would have thought that the "powerlever migrating back" would do what it is intended to do, reduce engine power.

India Four Two
28th Oct 2014, 21:52
There is a similar risk when flying glider towplanes. However, there is a much bigger risk of a towplane upset, particularly when towing a low-time pilot.

So after establishing full-power, my hand is on the tow-release. Of course, I also keep an eye out for migrating power-levers! ;)

Centaurus
28th Oct 2014, 22:59
power lever migrating back uncommanded

leading to an
undesired power loss at a critical phase of flight.
I would have thought any power loss at a critical stage of flight would be "undesired" so what's the point in saying it? As for "migrating back" WTF is wrong with using plain English language.

I recall in another era when I joined the Australian DCA. I was asked to draft a letter for a senior bureaucrat who everyone seemed to bow to in reverent supplication. His rank was "Assistant Secretary" which apparently entitled him to have a carpet in his office. This little bloke looked like a garden gnome as he sat behind his enormous mahogany desk. Cent drafted the required letter in concise form and presented it to the first of many lesser bureaucrats on the food chain who in turn would hack away at my work until it was finally passed on a plate like the church collection to the gnome on the 11th Floor of 188 Queen St, Melbourne City.

I was reminded by my immediate superior that in future my drafts needed to be "padded out" much more with such expressions as "I have put in train ...etc etc" and that conciseness and getting right to the point might be alright in RAAF correspondence (from whence I had been just been recruited) but unsuitable for the Public Service. :confused:

lilflyboy262...2
29th Oct 2014, 05:39
Same could be said about the use of the inertial separator on the caravan as well then?

Mail-man
29th Oct 2014, 06:13
My hands come off the power levers at V1, I thought that was the norm.....

Pontius
29th Oct 2014, 07:28
My hands come off the power levers at V1, I thought that was the norm.....

Obviously done a lot of flying of "fixed-wing aircraft, in the agricultural role" :rolleyes:

Mach E Avelli
29th Oct 2014, 08:03
I thought that the 'T' in TMPFISCH stood for Trim and Throttle Friction.
Or was the 'F' for Fuel, Flap and Friction?
Either way, no friction the aircraft is f****d.

Oakape
29th Oct 2014, 09:44
This movement of the power lever could cause the engine to develop less power,

So rearward movement if the power lever 'could' cause less engine power. I would suggest that if movement of the power lever didn't cause a change in power, you have a bigger problem than which knob you have your hand on!