PDA

View Full Version : Approach into Poro Airport Bhutan

crewmeal
28th Oct 2014, 18:47
Just found this courtesy of the Beeb. Very professional.

BBC World News - The Travel Show, 25/10/2014 GMT, Pilot?s eye view of ?dangerous? airport landing (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p0299wq5)

BOAC
28th Oct 2014, 19:56
Very professional. - that is a matter of opinion!

There is calm in the cockpit despite the autopilot being switched off.......:D I thought for a moment there it must be an Airbus............:)

There is nothing to show you the airport is ..... - holding a VOR/DME chart to camera.So you've got to watch your wings; not to close to the mountain - hilarious - can't fault that, but..........

What we saw appears to be a skillfully flown visual through the valleys. Whether that is 'professional airline flying' is a matter of opinion. 'Fun', yes. I wonder what he would do with a bit more cloud around? As for the 'programme'.....

crewmeal
28th Oct 2014, 21:04
Being professional I meant the quality of the video instead of the usual grainy stuff you see copied from YouTube. Regarding flying I'll leave that to the experts to comment on.

BOAC
28th Oct 2014, 21:07
Yes, the video quality was great.

JanetFlight
28th Oct 2014, 21:51
Its Paro, not Poro...BTW, great clip :D

lakerman
31st Oct 2014, 17:40
Having flown into Paro in my BAe days on the very first landing of a 146 I can assure you that was very professionnely flown. The Bhutanese pilots are first class and would have done just as well with a bit more cloud, but as it is VMC only(or was when I was there) A lot more cloud and the aircraft would not have left its departure point. You do not take chances at that altitude and with all those lovely valleys with stuffed clouds in them.

Allan Lupton
31st Oct 2014, 18:22
We were very proud that Druk agreed with us that the 146 was ideal for the operation. We never expected the big stuff could operate there in our lifetime as there was no prospect of the place getting a longer runway (which it seems to have done) or radio aids.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/b/bd/Druk_Air_BAe_146_Hanuise.jpg/220px-Druk_Air_BAe_146_Hanuise.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
31st Oct 2014, 21:53
An interesting video segment. I remember watching a video in the last few years of a Gulfstream V flying at night and in various marginal weather conditions whilst testing a then new system HUD, that seemed to be able to see through everything with a clarity that was shocking in comparison to standard night vision. Perhaps this system in the Druk aircraft would help them to alleviate diversions and restrictions due to the terrain and meteorology.

SHJ