PDA

View Full Version : SIA, Safety, Security

ITman
30th May 2002, 12:48
As part of the self loading freight, I was amazed to notice on several recent SIA flights the stewardesses were still wearing flip flops. After all the fuss of SQ006 and the changes SIA were going to make I have only spotted one stewardess wearing the new shoes.

The airports in S. E. Asia have all increased security after the tragic 911, during a pass through of JKT airport the security guards picked up two pairs of sissors and Swiss army knife. Lo and behold even in Y class the cutlery provided includes a nice sharp metal dinner knife. Checking with my other collegues who travel they all noticed the metal knives compared to other carriers who issue plastic ones.

I wonder what it will take for SIA to learn from experience....?:confused:

Alpha Leader
30th May 2002, 13:02
Agree with your point re shoes of the F/As.

But the cutlery is another animal. Trying to kill anyone with a dinner knife would be an arduous task - probably falls into the "hopless" category. Providing plastic knives is pure cosmetics - trying to demonstrate perceived security.

Given determination, you could kill anyone with a shoe lace, and I have yet to see any airline that does not allow you to take these on board!

G.Khan
30th May 2002, 16:14
Other airlines, EK for one, still use metal cutlery, flew MEL - DXB recently in Business and had metal cutlery each meal, plastic only on the DXB - LHR sector.

They may not be doing it but the SQ FA's are supposed to wear the shoes for take-off and landing but the flip flops at other times.

ITman
31st May 2002, 12:13
Thanks Alpha Leader and G.Khan, couple of points that stem from your replies. EK usually provides plastic knives in Y class and I know they usually provide metal ones in J. A little concerned about Alpha Leaders post, I agree totally in principle, so why all the massive expense with X-rays and security at airport to remove sharp items and then give it back to the passenger, as you say pure cometic but at a terrible cost.

The SIA F/a's were all seated in the dim lighting mode for landing and did not move out of their seats to the entire self loading freight had surged forward so they had not the time to swap shoes so to speak, what they are supposed to do and what SIA does are it seems quite different.