PDA

View Full Version : English test for Native English speaker - Vietnam

nopax
27th Oct 2014, 11:47
Anyone else been through this? I'm neither sweating it, nor surprised, it just seems like an almighty waste of time...half a day is what I've been told.

I thought there was some ICAO guidance available that stated it was a given that native English speakers were Level 6 (Expert).

Dash8driver1312
27th Oct 2014, 12:24
I had to do it in under the auspices of AustroControl because they decided on their own accord that clearly no one has good English thanks to certain eastern carriers.

The instructors here saw it as much as a joke as I did...

stator vane
27th Oct 2014, 14:19
What if they speak Scottish?!?:cool:

November Mike
27th Oct 2014, 14:26
Poor Aussies are going to battle as they certainly don't speak any English!! :eek:

Evanelpus
27th Oct 2014, 15:22
What if they speak Scottish?!?

They're screwed.;)

November Mike
27th Oct 2014, 18:23
Scottish? Special exemptions granted - Aussies? back to the penal colony....

mad_jock
27th Oct 2014, 18:57
you can laugh but I know a few native speakers that have ended up with level 5 due to them taking your lowest score in all the sections.

Apparently the written comprehension part can throw up some difficulties as none native speakers have a better grounding between technical differences between certain words. And the US English/UK English can also rear its head.

Haven't got a clue what its like in that area.

IZAD
27th Oct 2014, 20:26
What about the Singlish, or Singapore English, no lahh...., where are you putting up lahh? F$@#% nomads:suspect:

V1... Ooops
28th Oct 2014, 05:04
I thought there was some ICAO guidance available that stated it was a given that native English speakers were Level 6 (Expert).
I don't think so. I recently had to go to a lot of trouble to organize an examination with a specially qualified examiner (one who could grant the Level 6 certification) in order to get Level 6 on my European (JAA) licence. English is my first language.

lee_apromise
28th Oct 2014, 06:32
One Scott got Level 3 in Korea. :8

Oceanic815Pilot
28th Oct 2014, 07:03
I think it depends on where you are and who administers the test. In China I was told it wasn't even possible to test for Level 6 the first time and then only "earned" a 4. When I retook the test in Qatar I obtained Level 6 with no issues. I guess I'm finally proficient for life...

blind pew
28th Oct 2014, 14:33
Had my uk/jaa ppl issued/ renewed twice in France over the last decade...have recently been told that the French examinations no longer acceptable and have to do an english test...ex British Airways.....money money money and jobs for the old boys....

G.S. Willy
28th Oct 2014, 20:34
I got a level 6 on my first attempt in China, a couple of Aussies doing the test at the same time, got level 5.
English is not my mother tongue, so my Aussie colleagues were pissed off.
Me teasing them on the bus back to Shenzhen did nothing to improve their mood :p

Smokie
28th Oct 2014, 22:08
I asked the UK CAA about this, as it was a requirement to have a certificate for various jobs I was applying for at the time. The answer I got was as a Native Speaker and holding a UK CAA/ JAR OPS/ EASA ATPL, I was automatically given Level 6 even though it was not annotated on my license. :)

VijayMallya
30th Oct 2014, 17:17
The english can barely speak english!

Smokie
30th Oct 2014, 18:56
Must be all the drugs they are on then, dew cundishens in yer neck O the wudds ;)