PDA

View Full Version : Glider Flight Testing?

Captain Bradley
25th Oct 2014, 18:14
Hi guys,

I was wondering if you have any information about test flights of gliders. After all - someone must do that. I was wondering what are the requirements to get such a job. Since I currently study Aerospace Eng. and hold SPL with 350 hours, 12 type rated models, FI/FI and aerobatic rating I thought this might be a good idea to look around :)

Thanks!

Dash8driver1312
25th Oct 2014, 19:45
With 350 hours I'd consider getting some more air time and experience...

Captain Bradley
26th Oct 2014, 08:14
Thanks for your reply.

Just to be clear - I was not thinking about new prototypes. Rather regular constructions that need to be tested in the air after leaving the factory. Unfortunately, I am not sure if this is the standard practice.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Oct 2014, 13:11
I'm sure Cap.B you appreciate that as described your qualifications in both aerospace engineering and flying are, relatively speaking, entry level. Nonetheless, they're still significant. I suspect however that they also include minimal training in flight testing, otherwise you'd have mentioned that.

My suggestion is that you look towards professional engineering jobs that may make use of your flying knowledge and possibly create opportunities to aviate related to that from time to time.

The first is to look towards a design engineering job in a glider or light aircraft manufacturer.

The second is to look at possible entry level jobs in Flight Test Engineering.

Quite a few people who have taken one of these two routes have ended up flying as light / microlight / glider test pilots. Probably none of them however have ended up doing that as their main job, as such jobs really don't exist. This actually means that the people doing "little aeroplane" testing are often extremely well qualified and the job gets done very well.

G

Fitter2
29th Oct 2014, 10:04
At the 3 glider manufacturers of whom I have personal knowledge, production test flights are carried out by factory employees who are also senior engineers at the factory and have other important functions there.

None have a dedicated test pilot.