PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Training in USA

boofhead
30th May 2002, 09:16
I read an article in the USA Today a couple of days ago about pilot training in the US, written by a spokesman for the big training schools. Of course anything written in this paper has to have been thoroughly checked out for accuracy, so I have to believe it is true. He was bemoaning the fact that after 9/11 many of their foreign students have ditched out of the US and are going to training schools in Europe or Aus. The restrictions on the schools in the US by the government there has made it hard for them to complete, or even start, training.
The main thrust of the article though was that since the standards of training in Europe and Aus are so low, it might be necessary to ban any pilot who was trained there from ever flying over US airspace(I kid you not; that was what he said).
I was not aware it was so bad in Europe or Aus, and I hope this serves as a wakeup call to you slackers to get your act together. After all, pilots in the land of the free and home of the brave are so clever they can go from Commercial to ATP in just four days, including written and flight test! Can you beat that? I thought not!

The Greaser
30th May 2002, 09:26
Well in Europe, we can go from Commercial to ATP in 0 days with no flight or written test.

Captain Stable
30th May 2002, 11:01
This "spokesman" clearly knows nothing of the training environment outside the continental USA. Nor does he know much about ICAO requirements, or he would be aware that any such ban would be a breach of international law.