PDA

View Full Version : BA Single Leg Upgrade

wowzz
23rd Oct 2014, 12:51
I'm in the process of planning a Canadian/US road trip to celebrate a significant birthday for SWMBO.
I am looking to book our outward leg to Toronto and return leg from San Francisco with BA [other internal travel will be by car/train/domestic flights]
However, I am finding it impossible to travel to Toronto in economy, and return from SFO in PE or club. Neither the BA web-site or sites such as Expedia seem to give me this option.
Does anyone have any way around this problem.
[I have looked at booking the flights as two individual bookings, but as you might guess the cost is extortionate]

cjhants
23rd Oct 2014, 14:08
I have gone out Econ and back WT+ with BA many times, but have always booked as a return ticket, so I guess this is why you are having trouble. Have you tried booking with BA Holidays? They may well be able to book this for you. Did a similar thing with Virgin last month, out to MCO, internal with AA to UVF and then back to LGW PE with Virgin, all booked cheaply with Virgin Holidays, and managed to upgrade to PE on outbound for £47.50 only.

wowzz
23rd Oct 2014, 14:29
Thanks for the reply. Tried through BA holidays, but as I only want flights I just ended back at the 'normal' BA web-site.

wiggy
23rd Oct 2014, 14:39
Interesting, I think you might actually have to talk to someone in BA/BA Holidays in order to get your answer, FWIW:

http://www.britishairways.com/travel/ctclist/public/en_gb

If you do go ahead with BA (and assuming initially you end up in WT both ways) then once you've actually booked and got a booking reference you might find there's the option of an upgrade on an individual leg ( ba.com then "manage my booking"), but it's a "might", not a "definite".

Hope you get something sorted out.

mixture
23rd Oct 2014, 16:05
wowzz,

Unless things have vastly changed, you've always been able to book a return ticket in one cabin and then use cash or avios to upgrade one or both sectors.

But as others have said, if in doubt, give BA a shout.

Hartington
24th Oct 2014, 12:21
The BA web booking system can manage different classes on simple A=B-A transactions. It can't deal with it if you want an open jaw (which you do). Your choices are to make the booking both ways in the same class online and then hope that manage my booking will offer you an upgrade.

-OR-

use the phone.

Stupid? Maybe? Cost you more? Probably but it's worth pointing out you are booking something that you can't book online; that might change their mind.

If you insist on dealing with BA direct I think what I'd do is phone them, ask if you can make the booking you want and find out (a) what the fare is and is it available (b) then I'd ask about the simple economy fare and what the fare rules are for that - does it allow you to upgrade and are there any fees to do so and what the additional fare will be (c) if they will charge you for using the phone. Then I'd take a deep breath, book economy and then go straight into mmb to upgrade and if that failed go back to the phone.

However, the easier solution is probably to phone someone like Trailfinders who can not only book your flight but may well be able to provide you with some of the other elements you require.

ExXB
24th Oct 2014, 14:45
I've had problems booking open jaws with BA in the past. Not a new issue.

Ancient Observer
24th Oct 2014, 15:34
If I want open-jaws with BA I use the phone, and tell them that their website won't let me do it. No phone use surcharges, then.