PDA

View Full Version : Vodafone Tablet battery

Rwy in Sight
22nd Oct 2014, 08:09
I just acquired a Vodafone Tablet 4 and I asked about the battery. The salesperson told me there is sufficient charge on it to use it, the first charge could be as short as 5 hours, and there is no need to charge for 24 hours, discharge it completely and repeat that 2 or three times.

Using your knowledge, do I follow his advice or do I do through the 24 hour charge - discharge cycle to "break in" the battery smoothly?

Thanks in advance.

Rwy in Sight

Bushfiva
22nd Oct 2014, 08:23
The manual tells you to charge it fully the first time, which will take about 5 hours. Nothing to stop you using it while it charges.

Rwy in Sight
28th Oct 2014, 08:07
Bushfiva,

Thanks for the advice although I am intrigued about the manual. There is no manual on the box. I charged for about the double time and it seems to be working.

Rwy in Sight

Bushfiva
28th Oct 2014, 09:31
The manual is available on the web site. It may also be on the phone: I don't know howh Vodafone does these things.

No matter how well or badly you treat the battery, it'll have a life of around 2 years if it's anything like my phone collection over the years. If it's user-replaceable, you may want to get a spare battery in around one year. In this neck of the woods, spares become unobtainable around a year before you start needing them!

Mike-Bracknell
28th Oct 2014, 11:40
NiMH batteries don't generally suffer from the 'memory' effect of previous NiCads, etc.

BatteryStuff Articles | NiMH Battery Common Questions Answered (http://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/proper-care-and-feeding-of-a-nimh-battery.html)

Rwy in Sight
28th Oct 2014, 18:40
I should have thought about looking for the manual on the web. I downloaded it and will have a look. As far are batteries are concerned, I keep charging them for a long time (12 hours or more) before first use and I repeat that a couple of times. And I always charge the battery when it is around 15%. My 4 year old Finish branded phone battery still lasts 4 days despite me talking a lot. Maybe I am overcautious.

I will have a look on the article. Thanks.

Rwy in Sight

henry_crun
8th Nov 2014, 10:16
The Du battery app does it all for you, tells you when to start/stop charging.

As Mike B says, NiCad 'memory' (actually internal whiskering) is history. One good charge and you're started. Ignore scaremongers.