PDA

View Full Version : HRH Silver Jubilee

TheNightOwl
30th May 2002, 05:56
I have a request for information, of no great importance, just academic interest.
In 1977, I had the misfortune to be at Finningley, (Nav Sim), during the said Jubilee. As part of the celebrations, a commemorative plate was made, with a limited edition of, I believe, 3000. I bought one, it still resides in my home, now Dunnunda, and I wondered if anyone still in the Mob could give me an indication of its worth, if any? I can't get the RAF News here, so any information would be gratefully received.

My thanks,

Kind regards to all,

TheNightOwl. :confused:

Scud-U-Like
30th May 2002, 17:03
Royal commemorative items, particularly in recent history, have been produced in huge numbers. Items are often described as 'limited edition', but this rarely confers upon them any extra value. At the time, 3000 might simply have been the maximum number RAF Finningley thought they could shift. Your plate is probably worth something around its original purchase price or possibly less!

Give it another 200 years, when everyone else has dumped or smashed theirs, and your plate may be a valuable antique.

Hope this helps

(Oh, and it's HM, not HRH, btw) ;)

Flap62
31st May 2002, 08:29
I think the value of your plate will reflect the level of warmth and affection felt for the Royal family by the British public at this special time.

Lets call it 20p then.

TheNightOwl
1st Jun 2002, 03:29
Thanks, fellas, about the level of comment I expected. If ever I wodered why I left U.K., all mystery is now dispelled.

Kind regards,

TheNightOwl. :rolleyes:

Brakes...beer
1st Jun 2002, 19:37
Er... I thought Scud-U-Like's reply was helpful and pretty fair, actually. But I agree with you about the unrepresentative drivel from Flap62.