PDA

View Full Version : How to land a job as pilot in BizJet?

Renaud
20th Oct 2014, 10:48
Hi guys,

I've a question for all Biz Jets drivers.

How to get a foot in the cockpit door?

I would like to do a career change, I'm European citizen, leaving in Switzerland, full ATP EASA with airline and remote experience, flew all around the world, but so far I didn't succeed to even have an interview.

I know my weak point is network (I'm away from EU airports more than half of the year!)

So if any of you have some hints, or would like to share his ideas, thoughts here or MP, I would appreciate very much.

Cheers,

R

Renaud
28th Oct 2014, 19:28
Nobody want to give a hint?

Jetblu
28th Oct 2014, 21:09
Depends upon type.

Tray Surfer
28th Oct 2014, 23:32
I work aft of the flight deck and was, and to a degree still am, in the same situation.

Of course, you have more things to take into consideration such as type rating, hours, experience and training etc. But, I have found that the biggest thing by far is networking. I know it sounds a bit daft… But, it has worked absolute wonders for me. I went to EBACE in Geneva in May of this year, met an absolute ton of people, have now done a few freelance trips, worked on a couple of different aircraft and have some more long term things starting to hover on the horizons…

I have invested time, money and embarrassment into getting the small step closer to a full change from commercial to corporate aviation, and although it has been a long-ish road for me, it is starting to pay off. I am not the best at selling myself not being overly forward with people, however, I HAD to step out of my comfort zone and push myself to speak to people and knock on doors and the likes.

As I say, I know I am a different kettle of fish, but network your backside off.

Renaud
30th Oct 2014, 19:31
Thanks for your input,

I need to get the time off and go to EBACE and alike...:ugh:

Proline21
30th Oct 2014, 20:57
Can you specify your experience and hrs? Which languages do you speak and do you hold any current TR?

I wouldn't say it's easy to land a deal but in Germany, Switzerland or Austria there are a few companies that hire experienced and skilled pilots and give them a chance on the jet. As usual with this business networking seems to be more important than actual flying skills since most operators would hire you without a proper screening.

Be prepared to pay for a Typerating and work freelance as a start. The better you are (flying and networking) the more you will fly...

galaxy flyer
30th Oct 2014, 23:10
As usual with this business networking seems to be more important than actual flying skills since most operators would hire you without a proper screening.

Absolutely false, pilot skills are expected, the passengers are paying for excellent safety and comfort, not beginners looking to pad their resume. Networking is vital, but won't be worth a pent without the right skills, experience and personality that fits in well.

Be prepared to pay for a Typerating and work freelance as a start. The better you are (flying and networking) the more you will fly...

In the US, that advice will get you a big debt load and laughed out of every chief pilot's office.

GF

Globally Challenged
31st Oct 2014, 09:03
Renaud has stated that he is an EU citizen living in Switzerland - so the reactions of US CP's are probably of little import.

con-pilot
31st Oct 2014, 16:30
so the reactions of US CP's are probably of little import.

As there is more corporate aviation in the US than in the rest of the world combined, perhaps they are more important than you want to think.

What galaxy flyer posted is correct and Renaud, listen to his advice.

From a retired Chief Pilot.

rick1128
31st Oct 2014, 20:21
Have been in the corporate environment, networking is probably the most important thing you an do. While flying skills are important in the corporate world they are over taken by your personality and do you find in with the company culture. Not being typed is not considered a major impediment to getting a corporate gig in most companies.

Things like how you dress and present yourself are important in the corporate world. How well you play with others and how you handle yourself around VVIPs etc. Your manners are considered important. Your interview may include talking with the company president or board chairman.

One good place to network is at Flight Safety or Simuflite. They both use interns as copilots during training with clients that are without a partner. I have seen several such interns get really good corporate jobs this way.

Good luck.

Globally Challenged
31st Oct 2014, 20:45
I would suggest that if the OP was able to work in the US then he would have stated as such.

The US does have the largest but not the only market and there are numerous differences over here. I get the impression that there is also a strong preference for college graduates over there - another difference in EU land.

I've never paid for a biz jet rating but I have seen quite a few adverts looking for just that (not in the US of course).

Proline21
1st Nov 2014, 22:33
@ galaxy flyer : What you write is correct and I second that but that is not the reality in this business in Europe. Many corporate gigs don't even screen the people in the sim or make a proper interview.

I have seen many people with loads of flight hours but heavily underperforming in the cockpit but got where they were thanks to their network

Ideal world vs reality

galaxy flyer
1st Nov 2014, 22:55
GC, ProLine21,

I am well acquainted with corporate aviation outside the US, comes with my job. What I find amazing is owners of these jets will pick someone merely because they bring a rating sans experience in the jet. Here, interviews are done, frequently the interview is on a company trip to see how you will accepted by the pax; finally an interview with the "principal". Yes, college degree is often a minimum qualification, but not always (major airlines, definitely). T&Cs are very competitive. The owners want to see excellence, courtesy and represent the owner well. Networking helps, but it all better be good. One friend's interview ended with, "give me a number that we can make a deal with."

GF

deefer dog
6th Nov 2014, 19:37
Some of the above may be true in certain circumstances, but to end up with a real peachy, well paid job flying to great world-wide destinations with long layovers in some of the best aircraft in private ops requires a very large slice of luck too!

I know because luck played every part in me getting the three last and best jobs I have ever had in corporate aviation, and I certainly don't have any special qualifications or talents, or even secondary school diplomas of any kind!

Keeping a good job, if you are lucky enough to get one, is a different matter entirely!

clivewatson
7th Nov 2014, 23:54
I am well acquainted with corporate aviation outside the US, comes with my job

I can only assume that the part of the world that "comes with your job" might be outside of the USA, but it don't sound much like Europe to me.

I'm pretty well acquainted with corp ops in Europe and not a lot of what you stated rings true with me. All of my jobs down to being in the right place at the right time, hardly an interview worth much more than a chat, and never a sim ride.. Mostly a big part played by networking, not what you know, but who you know and a big chunk of luck.

OP....keep plugging away with the networking, and good luck. Some here might want to give the impression that it is a selective club...believe me it is not - if you are of the type who will willingly serve the needs of the pax, carry bags, clean the cabin, can work without being supervised at every stage and don't mind mucking in to get the job done you will be welcomed!

College degree, ace of the base qualification, fly with one wing missing - such skills not required!

galaxy flyer
8th Nov 2014, 00:59
Clive,

What meant I was that I was acquainted with ops outside the US and it's bizarre that owners are so lax in the hiring process compared to the US. In the US, hiring is nearly as rigorous as the major airlines. Going out and buying a rating will only get you laughed out of a Chief Pilot's office here.

GF

maxed-out
8th Nov 2014, 12:09
Yes, maybe in the USA but most outfits in Europe will tell you that you need to pay for your first rating. Some won't even pay for your next one if you want to upgrade. A well known company in the UK has that policy!

clivewatson
8th Nov 2014, 13:10
Galaxy Flier,

I accept your point. I have no experience of hiring protocol in US. Having thankfully never flown charter I can also only comment about private ops here in Europe, and my experiences of working (and previously seeking out jobs) directly for private owners. Perhaps times are a changing.

Renaud
3rd Dec 2014, 05:48
Thank you everybody about all comments.
I got the point about US Vs EU but I don't have a chance to legally work on the other side of the pond (at least without any sponsors)

I had a chat with guys who are flying for a major US business jet provider, their hiring process are pretty straight compare to airlines.

@ Proline 21:

As stated I'm EU citizen, leaving in Switzerland.

I've got around 4500h TT, 1000h ATR, 1000h DHC-6 (Current and captain), Cat II endorsed, flew in Middle east, all over Africa, Eastern Europe, western Europe, spend times in USA.
I got some heavy IFR, VIP, Charter, Cargo, etc experience.

I speak English, French and could understand German and few words of Spanish.

EASA full ATP, FAA CPL, I've got few skills outside flying (former aircraft mechanic, fleet management, ground instruction/ flight instruction)

This is for the figure.