PDA

View Full Version : Any MS Access whizzes out there?

Groundbased
20th Oct 2014, 10:40
I'm trying to write a very simple access project with my son, but have run up against the following problem.

In Access 2010 I'm using a form to enter data into a table. If I drag the table column from "Existing fields" to the form I can then type in an entry which makes it into the table column and everything is hunky dory.

However, to practice good database design :-), I want to use a combo box with a set of defined values for the user to select from.

So here's the rub. I have set the control type to be combo box on the column on the table, and if i drag this onto the form I get a combo box appearing. Now, I can set the Row source type as Value List and type the values into the Row source. But when I do this they don't appear on the dropdown on the form. This seems to be because the field is bound to the table column. If I make it unbound they appear, but then the data doesn't make it through to the table.

Alternatively, again in the interests of good design, I have a table which just lists the values I want on the dropdown. If I add an unbound combo to the form I can get it, via the wizard, to use the values from the the table. However I can't then seem to get it to use the table column I want as the control source, and I think this is because I have not got a relationship between the two tables, or a foreign key on one of them, I'm not sure.

I'd be happy to get either method working, if anyone can help.

Thanks.

mixture
20th Oct 2014, 11:01
Access.... shudder.... :\

Oh the tales I could tell....

BOAC
20th Oct 2014, 15:06
Are you hell-bent on 'learning' Access for him? I needed to construct a simple db for Mrs B that she could search for given parameters and gave up trying to use Access. I finished up with a very workable Excel sheet with VBA that does what we need and will also run in Open Office. There are also a few other 'free' alternative db solutions for Windows if you Gargle. Eg Mozilla do one (Firebird) - but I have no knowledge of it.

seacue
20th Oct 2014, 17:18
I gave up on Access when I realized that the basic database wasn't too hard, but producing all the "reports" I absolutely needed would be a LOT of work.

I took the cowards way out and still use the existing dBase for DOS database which already has all the required "reports". I use DOSbox to run it under Windows 7 (et seq.)

My database has about 38000 entries and a lot of fields for each. Excel (or Open/Libre Office CALC) would be appropriate for a smaller database.

ExGrunt
23rd Oct 2014, 11:20
Hi Groundbased,

I am with mixture on access as a suitable product.

If you really want to learn DBMS - a Raspberry Pi will happily run either Postgresql or MySql.

Personally, I prefer Postgresql (but it is a matter of taste) which has a good free windows front end: PgAdmin III

That way your son learns: SQL based database design/administration and some linux system administration as well.

EG