PDA

View Full Version : qantas to buy into anz??

kiwipilot02
29th May 2002, 22:31
qantas are in talks to buy up to half of air newzealand . the share price has risen sharply in the last few days leading to speculation that a sale is on the cards . what will this do to air fares on the tasman route ?? possibly virgin blue will enter the market very quicky now.:(

Anti Skid On
30th May 2002, 05:08
They might be talking about it, but to whom? I can't see the government winning any votes (election here within 6 months) by selling the national flag carrier to QF (especially when they committed so much to ANZ recently)

Perhaps more interesting is ANZ's decision to go low-cost style on everything except long haul.

0.88M
30th May 2002, 08:42
Good or bad news, when Qantas buys into ANZ?
At least ANZ get's another life line , after having used all the rest.
QANTAS + ANZ belong together

Mode7
30th May 2002, 21:21
From what I heard a few months ago, after ANZ totally stuffed Ansett into the ground that QF was going to go all out to break ANZ for their treatment of Ansett and their staff! Maybe they are about the get their wish!!!!:rolleyes:

Anti Skid On
30th May 2002, 21:59
The whole episode is a complete mess, on which I 'll give my sixpence worth, but bear in mind I am in NZ and have been for the past year (so the bias of the media here may give slightly different slants to other providers)

A large part of the problem lies with the NZ govt and legislation that prevented Singapore buying a greater stake in ANZ. Had they been allowed to do this there would have been cash it the kitty to restructure Ansett, update its shambolic fleet and develop new routes. ANZ carried the can for Ansetts demise, even though it was probably one of the worst buys in history - a mixed bag of a fleet, over staffed, etc. - it is hard to escape the balme when you are next door so to speak.

Air NZ needed the likes of Ansett in order to get people across the Tasman and into centres other than MEL, SYD, BNE and PER. Without that link you are basically forced into using QF, or are faced with using Virgin Blue and rechecking in once in Oz. Likewise Air NZ isn't particularly well placed on the international map for transitting passengers. SIN, BKK, KUL - you can get almost anywhere from there, AKL - LAX, or the far east, or Oz and not many people will want to route to Oz via AKL from Europe.

Now ANZ has said it is going budget over here in NZ the pundits are saying passengers will transfer to QF domestic services that will continue to offer business class (nobody has ever been able to expalin to me how QF can run domestic flights in NZ, but ANZ can't do the same over there). Let's see - Kiwi's are a fairly nationalistic bunch - I think they'd rather grin and bear cattle class than pay big bucks to the Ozzies. They'll still have Koru club lounges won't they?

0.88M- QF are Oneworld, Air NZ Star Alliance - think this alone would prevent a marriage.