PDA

View Full Version : Ebola update

Blowback
19th Oct 2014, 16:32
If we are relying on advice from the WHO and IATA for advice on this disease then we are in real trouble
The WHO has mismanaged this outbreak from the very beginning , they were warned about this outbreak 7 months ago , yet because they ignored the warning they have to keep changing their protocols as it becomes very obvious that everything they thought about this disease has been proved wrong.
If someone on an aircraft coughs or projectile vomits then the virus can travel as droplets up to 3-5 feet , Should you inhale those droplets or they land on your skin ,that is considered as direct contact it's not just about touching an infected person

Temperature screening is a lousy method of screening for Ebola or any other virus for that matter , anyone can take a few Tylenol to suppress a temperature to pass the airport screening

What I would like to know is what have the cabin crew been told to do should a passenger vomit in flight ?
Do we quarantine the area in the plane ? do we move passengers if possible ? do we land as soon as possible .Will other countries allow us to land if we declare a possible Ebola patient

But hey The air transport industry is well prepared. yeah right !!!!

If my memory serves me correctly didn't IATA advise airlines that it was safe to fly over the area where MH17 was shot down .So I would take any advice from that organization with a large dose of skepticism

ColonelAngus
19th Oct 2014, 22:29
Let's just keep shaking hands in dispatch! If it concerns you, don't worry, the question has been raised with ISD! Whew! :rolleyes:

Captain Dart
19th Oct 2014, 23:25
They even tried to shake hands during SARS. Even now, I find a thirst coming on and need to be near the water cooler during that particular ritual.

Pucka
20th Oct 2014, 03:29
Don't worry..IATA is TONY T land so we know he will have the handle on it all...

cxorcist
20th Oct 2014, 05:53
MH (GMO), "Ebola is not airborne."

NOT TRUE! Ebola exists within mucus which can become airborne upon sneezing and/or coughing. This mucus can be inhaled directly or, more likely, picked up off a surface which the virus can survive upon for many hours. It is then a short distance from the hands to the mouth, nose, or eyes.

ColonelAngus
20th Oct 2014, 06:31
Airborne transmission of EVD among humans has never been demonstrated in investigations that have described human-to-human transmission although hypothetical concerns about airborne transmission of EVD have been raised.

Dowell SF, Mukunu R, Ksiazek TG, Khan AS, Rollin PE, Peters CJ. Transmission of Ebola hemorrhagic fever: a study of risk factors in family members, Kikwit, Democratic Republic of the Congo, 1995. Commission de Lutte contre les Epidemies a Kikwit. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. Feb 1999;179 Suppl 1:S87-91.

Baron RC, McCormick JB, Zubeir OA. Ebola virus disease in southern Sudan: hospital dissemination and intrafamilial spread. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 1983;61(6):997-1003.

Kitsune
20th Oct 2014, 10:41
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5p7A-T7D-sg

sodapop
21st Oct 2014, 20:44
Cxorcist.

Actually your version is not true. The definition of an airborne virus does not include "sprayed" liquids such as mucus etc from a cough or a sneeze. Also, it you study all human tramsmitted viruses in the past 100 years, none has ever changed or mutated into a different form of delivery.

Let's hope ebola isn't the first to do so.

Cheers,
Soda

AD POSSE AD ESSE
22nd Oct 2014, 01:53
The virus is also spread in faeces. Let's hope the "**** doesn't hit the fan!"

The Management
22nd Oct 2014, 02:17
Clearly he knows what he is talking about with his extensive medical background in Operations. This is not a commercial memo. We at “The CPG” are immune to such viruses so our crew are not exposed.

Clearly someone from Africa cannot board an aircraft on a CPA flight from anywhere in our network. We are not a global airline.

We know better than the CDC as we have a former accountant dedicated to the situation.

To My Bonus
The Management

Booger
22nd Oct 2014, 03:24
Before the hysteria gets out of hand, just remember that to date: more Americans have been married to Kim Kardashian than have died from Ebola.

Booger
22nd Oct 2014, 03:25
...although I admit that both fates are equally terrifying.

Fliegenmong
24th Oct 2014, 12:05
I thought this to be an interesting article....and maybe this is a little more contagious than first thought....

Inside the Ebola Wars (http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2014/10/27/ebola-wars)

The Banjo
25th Oct 2014, 21:45
Booger,

You obviously consider the lives a few to be more worthly than many thousands of blacks in a far away land :ugh:

We are or most certainly will be in this together :=

superfrozo
26th Oct 2014, 01:39
Jesus Christ on a nuclear powered Jatz cracker Banjo, what a ridiculously histrionic interpretation of my comment. If you knew anything about Ebola you'd know it spreads easily only
when there is minimal to non-existent medical infrastructure and an absence of basic hygiene. An epidemic in West Africa does not a pandemic make.

And spare me your bleeding heart, barely concealed accusations of racism! I hope you end up marrying Kim Kardashian, or are you prejudiced against Armenians?? Thought so, you supporter of Turkey's genocidal practices.

Hey, this drawing a long bow thing is fun!

Steve the Pirate
26th Oct 2014, 02:16
@superfrozo

what a ridiculously histrionic interpretation of my comment.

Hang on a minute, you mean that superfrozo and Booger are the same person?? :E

STP

The Banjo
26th Oct 2014, 04:11
Frozo
when there is minimal to non-existent medical infrastructure and an absence of basic hygiene.........

That is why the US should be worried cuz it is all the above for the majority of it's citizens.:suspect:

As for your genocide comment, Nixon did a pretty good job of that in 1968 when he scuttled the Paris peace talks for his own political ambition. How many allied lives did that crass little gem cost?

superfrozo
26th Oct 2014, 04:36
Ahhh!! My damn PPRune split personalities are acting up again! I will have to revert to my seven other pseudonyms now :ok:

FERetd
26th Oct 2014, 08:51
Banjo Quote " when there is minimal to non-existent medical infrastructure and an absence of basic hygiene........."

And whose fault is that?

Those countries have the governments that they wanted and voted for. Their non-existent medical infrastructure and lack of hygiene are of their own making!

Your clouded liberal views are quite apparent.

Superfrozo/Booger is/are absolutely correct in pointing out your "barely concealed accusations of racism".