PDA

View Full Version : Another day, another fine.

geh065
18th Oct 2014, 10:04
News Digest | Department of Transportation (http://www.dot.gov/briefing-room/news-digest-101)

SweepTheLeg
18th Oct 2014, 10:38
Cathay Pacific... engaged in prohabited unfair and deceptive practices.

Yep, that's ops normal for CX.

Funny how the Weekly Wrap left out this piece of news.

bridgeport
18th Oct 2014, 12:53
There goes another 1 month worth of RETI.

NoAndThen
18th Oct 2014, 13:16
Don't know which country you're talking about but I've never seen federal sales tax added before... Probably because there is no such thing. Don't like the state sales tax? Go to another state with no tax! Or order over the Internet.

Shep69
18th Oct 2014, 15:37
The rule had long been changed such that listed prices on the websites would more accurately reflect the actual price inclusive of taxes and fees--which are often a significant percentage of the total ticket price. Other carriers and brokerage services (cheap tickets, etc.) were quick to adapt.

While the company might believe it can assert it's authority any way it pleases and roll over it's employees, this doesn't work very well with foreign governments that are bigger than the local empire.

swh
18th Oct 2014, 18:03
Don't know which country you're talking about but I've never seen federal sales tax added before... Probably because there is no such thing.

Probably thinking of the TSA "fees", it is as good as a federal tax on air travel.

404 Titan
18th Oct 2014, 22:36
Yep, go to any restaurant in the US and what you pay isn't the advertised price. Add the state sales tax and the tip and you could be paying up to 30% more than the advertised price. While I think what CX has done is wrong, in my opinion it's hypocritical of the US authorities to impose such a penalty when the above rort is allowed to go unquestioned.

Posted from Pprune.org App for Android

iflylow
19th Oct 2014, 00:16
Probably thinking of the TSA "fees", it is as good as a federal tax on air travel.

Have you ever booked any FOC tickets to the States? The taxes imposed are negligible compared to just about other western country. Ever tried flying to Australia or Hearthrow? Ouch.

ColonelAngus
19th Oct 2014, 01:39
The bottom line is USD 260,000 because CX's website did not include the taxes and fees as required by US law.

How many millions of dollars a year does CX lose due to poor IT?

Why is CX still running Windows XP?

Here's the full Consent Order:
http://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?objectId=09000064818cd3de&disposition=attachment&contentType=pdf

Lowkoon
19th Oct 2014, 07:39
XP? We still have some 'training machines' running windows 95 over here in KA house, they are going to be 20 years old in a few months, brings a tear to the eye seeing them grow up so fast... Its sad when some of our FO's are younger than both the aircraft they fly and the equipment they are supposed to train themselves on... :ugh: