PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Engines

nomorecatering
17th Oct 2014, 08:38
Just thought I'd ask the question as there seems to be a few knowledgeable people frequenting this forum.

Why haven't ceramic engines taken off. A Google search brings up hundreds of articles from 10 years ago saying ceramic engines at one third the weight of iron or aluminium blocks are just around the corner. Hundreds of YouTube videos show running engines. Turbos have long been made from ceramics, as has turbine engine compressor blades. Ceramic coatings are seen on pistons etc.

So what's been the problem with ceramic blocks? Light weight but brittle?

thorn bird
17th Oct 2014, 08:54
Certification $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.
Which is why we are still using 1940 technology while the car industry powers ahead.

Fris B. Fairing
17th Oct 2014, 09:15
You mean like this?

http://www.adastron.com/aviation/vault/RD211.jpg

Buttscratcher
17th Oct 2014, 10:06
The Germans used ceramics on the 262's Jumo engines........so actually that would be 'old technology'

ShyTorque
17th Oct 2014, 11:29
I think it all went to pot.

saabsforever
17th Oct 2014, 11:34
Ceramic fan blades in jets were looking good as I recall until someone thawed out a turkey and flung it in one end for the bird test.

Gemini Twin
17th Oct 2014, 16:35
That's silly, ceramics will be used in the turbine section not in the fans. The idea is to allow a major increase in temperature, currently limited be existing materials, to allow better SFC. It will come eventually but right now nothing allows for a better life and reliability than the current materials.

Perspective
17th Oct 2014, 19:27
Some good info here, grab a cup of Tea first!

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20010061369.pdf

yr right
17th Oct 2014, 20:48
They are to britle and that makes them not flexible. In the cold section subject to fod they break and in the hot section they fatigue due to the constant change in temperature. Off and on and centrifugal loads applied. They may come but at present single cystaline blades are becoming more avaiable

hiwaytohell
17th Oct 2014, 22:16
Advances in metal technologies such as titanium composites and new metal alloys, offer better temperature, strength and durability compared to the advantages ceramics potentially offered a decade ago.

Front page of the Australian on Friday (17th Oct).

Lockheed says nuclear fusion on the way

The "true atomic age" of limitless electricity without any radioactive waste or carbon dioxide emissions could be a reality within a decade, according to a US aerospace company that has claimed a breakthrough in nuclear fusion.

Engine technology changes everything!

Arnold E
18th Oct 2014, 08:46
, according to a US aerospace company that has claimed a breakthrough in nuclear fusion.

Bollocks, show me.:ugh:

yr right
18th Oct 2014, 08:53
Check this out. Need to watch the whole thing some new stuff I've never heard off.

Lunacy of Wind & Solar Power Policy: Political Incompetence or Conspiracy? ? STOP THESE THINGS (http://stopthesethings.com/2014/09/26/lunacy-of-wind-solar-power-policy-poli)

smylie
18th Oct 2014, 08:54
Google Lockheed nuclear fusion
Also Rossi blog. He is having success with LENR

Ozgrade3
20th Oct 2014, 04:52
I thought the metal matrix that some compressor sections were made of was a type of ceramic.

Interesting video on Thorium, I'd never heared of it. It seems to be an energy source of the future, after uranium runs out. As for solar and wind, I like both in sensible applications.