PDA

View Full Version : Air Niugini's subsidiary - LINK PNG

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

NCD
16th Oct 2014, 05:57
MEDIA RELEASE

AIR NIUGINI'S SUBSIDIARY- LINK PNG TO COMMENCE OPERATIONS NEXT MONTH.

Air Niugini now has a subsidiary airline company-LINK PNG which will commence operations on 01st November this year to coincide with Air Niugini’s 41 years of operation.

Air Niugini’s Board Chairman, Sir Frederick Reiher made the announcement during a meeting between the airline management and the union in Port Moresby today.

He said the establishment of a subsidiary company is part of Air Niugini’s restructure into the future and will open a new era in domestic air travel for Papua New Guineans.

Sir Fred said “ The new subsidiary will operate on a “low cost carrier” model, providing an affordable and safe service to the people of Papua New Guinea. The carrier will also serve PNG routes on a community service (CSO) obligation, ensuring that not only are remote and less profitable services maintained, but progressively expanded to meet the growing transport needs of the nation and its people.”
He said “Link PNG will be a smarter, less “frills” and low cost carrier that will principally service routes to provincial and district centres which are currently being operated by the Dash 8 Classic fleet”.

“Its establishment will ensure that rather than air services being reduced by the ownership restructure of Air Niugini Limited and the injection of private sector capital – as has occurred in other countries in the region – they will actually be guaranteed and increased.”

The most important aspect of the establishment of Link PNG is that it will guarantee regular, reliable, safe and affordable services to the more remote parts of the nations where patronage is less than the main domestic routes, but just as important for the travelling public.

Link PNG will commence operations as a separate company on 1st November 2014 under its own Board and Management. Mr Daniel Wanma is the Chief Executive Officer. His senior management team has been selected and they have all satisfied the PNG Civil Aviation Safety Authority (PNGCASA) requirements as “fit and proper” persons – a mandatory regulatory requirement. Link PNG will operate from its own premises located alongside the Cargo premises.

All these personnel, including the technical crew and other employees, will be seconded as Air Niugini employees on an agreed arrangement to work under Link PNG until such time all staff and employees are confirmed on Link PNG’s positions.

Air Niugini Chief Executive Officer Mr Simon Foo said Air Niugini has been operating and running its business the way it has been for the last 40 years with little change when business practices and circumstances, economic climate and technology have changed dramatically in the airline industry within the region and world-wide.

“ This move is gearing Air Niugini to engaging in smarter business practices in the delivery of its services, and in a cost effective manner. It is imperative that Air Niugini embraces new and modern ways and means of delivering its services. ”Mr Foo said

Kiwiconehead
16th Oct 2014, 13:41
Didn't realise PX had any frills for there to be less of?

Metro man
16th Oct 2014, 16:48
The Jetstarisation of Air Niugini.

Hugh Mungus
17th Oct 2014, 00:06
The first and most obvious error to me seems to be the secondment of Mainline Pilots to the new venture,Allan has famously stated that creates pollution of cultures,perhaps Simon has not got his number.last time I checked the advice to call Allan was included in the Australian National Anthem but no Number is proffered:E

Snail Dave
17th Oct 2014, 10:26
I'll go against the mundane and typical negativity in this industry (and particularly on this forum) and wish the very best of luck to Daniel Wanma and his team in this endeavour. God knows he'll need it in such a challenging place to conduct aviation operations. He's a smart guy and a real gentleman. Hope it's a success.

Snail

:ok:

saabsforever
17th Oct 2014, 10:38
Hugh, So I guess you figure on finding a couple of young blokes to pay for a Dash rating and rush off for a quick Wapanamunda-Moresby-Chimbu then? As for the frills the cheese and crackers made it all the way to the flightdeck along with the business class sandwiches from the previous day. While savouring these delicacies I read in the post courier that all staff had been consulted about the changes and were happy, which was a great relief since it was the first we had heard of it. While being so happy I will try not to pollute the culture unduly.

Hugh Mungus
17th Oct 2014, 12:11
I feels our pain Saabs. But there is an old adage that says. " build it and they will come". So there are youngsters who will not only do the sectors you propose but perhaps four more to boot ,after funding their own Dash Ratings....but I wouldn't worry .. It only happens ...if......Simon Says !!! :}

Duck Pilot
8th Nov 2014, 21:36
I heard that they were going to re-fleet the Dash 8s with ATRs, is that still on the horizon?

saabsforever
9th Nov 2014, 01:14
The horizon looks very empty right now. Only good news is a couple of good people in management (against all odds). If they have any Captains left in the New year Link may well fare better than the mothership which appears to be heading for the rocks at full speed!

Duck Pilot
9th Nov 2014, 04:59
"mothership which appears to be heading for the rocks at full speed!"

Hope ANG doesn't make the news headlines for all the wrong reasons.....................

Changes certainly needed to be done, however the surgeons with the carving knives (or should that be bush knives and wood saws) needs to be very careful not to cut out to much of the good stuff!

geeup
13th Nov 2014, 02:45
Are the Q400s part of "Link PNG" or is it just be DH8-300s?

Unusual-Attitude
13th Nov 2014, 07:58
Just classics.

balusnomore
19th Nov 2014, 00:09
Duck, “the surgeons” are using a chain saw, and a large one at that. Amputation rather than delicate surgery seems to be the mission.

The 2015 contract that I have seen has a HUGE reduction in conditions that NOT IN THE LEAST includes: no more offshore basing, no tours, leave reduced from 6 weeks to 4 weeks, salary packages reduced by at least 20% (more if Training, Checking, etc) and KPI targets such as achieving min hours over contract period (now only 2 yrs) or be dismissed (they are responsible for rostering the hours, don't like you, no hours I suggest).

Many of the other conditions are just downright draconian with the company putting all responsibility onto the Pilots and accepting none themselves.

Yearly salary increase to be 1.7% (subject to meeting the KPI targets, see above) which compares badly to the latest PNG inflation rate of 5.1%. Salary paid in PGK which is a little volatile.

All new hires from 2015 will be on a pretty poor B scale salary.

A sign it or leave town (ala barbed wire compound :eek:) proposal.

got you sighted
19th Nov 2014, 15:07
Hey SAABS,did you teach me about sheep based windshear detection system?

olderairhead
20th Nov 2014, 21:48
Dash F/O B scale will be paid 61% less than A scale based on first year with 20% experience bonus plus 13th month bonus.

A scale $118181 B scale $46277

Killer Loop
20th Nov 2014, 22:21
Will the thirteenth month and experience bonus (15%) be included in the 2015 agreement for A scalers though?

balusnomore
21st Nov 2014, 01:20
Will the thirteenth month and experience bonus (15%) be included in the 2015 agreement for A scalers though?

Reading the 2015 pdf version of the contract that was sent shows no mention anywhere of:

Retention Bonus;

13th Month payment or

DH8 Experience Bonus;

in either the "A" or "B" scale salaries.

If the Experience Bonus goes that will be a further 20% pay loss on top of the 11% pay cut to the current "A" DH8 scale salary....31% reduction in salary, bet those crews are impressed:eek:

olderairhead
21st Nov 2014, 01:51
For the A scalers, experience bonus yes, 13th month no. Also no level change from 2015 only 1.7% if you meet KPI's.

balusnomore
23rd Nov 2014, 12:38
Olderairhead,

Is it still the case that the schedules on the international flights make it impossible for guys to make those (KPI figures of) 600 hours due to to up to 30 hours a month of deadhead paxing to pick up flights?

Still correct that there is not much night aviation in country so there so the only rostering is day hours only, makes for busy days to log 600 hours. Take a lot of Hagans a day to do that!!!!

BTW, has a new contract been drafted, the copy I have seen does not mention anything about the experience bonus at all, even though you suggest it will happen.

If it is not written in the contract, what makes you think you will get paid it?

Unusual-Attitude
23rd Nov 2014, 18:54
If the Experience Bonus goes that will be a further 20% pay loss on top of the 11% pay cut to the current "A" DH8 scale salary....31% reduction in salary, bet those crews are impressed

Bet those crews won't be here come Jan.

olderairhead
23rd Nov 2014, 19:21
Re the experience bonus a PX pilot told me.

balusnomore
24th Nov 2014, 00:24
I hear the guys can be “domiciled” elsewhere other than Morseby, but while in Moresby will have to “HOT BED!!” in an leased 2 bedroom apartment block.

So how does that work?

What about travel to "domicile"? Any assistance there, how many days off in a row?

olderairhead
24th Nov 2014, 05:50
balusnomore

I am confused. You say you have a copy of the contract so why ask the questions?

And FYI current expats will remain on A scale and retain the experience bonus, new hirees will go onto B scale with no experience bonus. Suggest you speak to the right pilots to get the facts.

No assistance being offered to travel. It is in your time at your expense.

Duck Pilot
25th Nov 2014, 07:48
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't start outsourcing all their engineering to Asian MROs. Do they still have expat engineers in POM?

olderairhead
26th Nov 2014, 19:33
Must be gone then. Just adds to the rosy future for those guys up there!

lucille
6th Dec 2014, 13:00
As a PX old boy, I am horrified to learn of these new impositions.

Surely the hoof beats of pilots heading for the door must be heard on the 4th floor?

Will PX be reducing their schedule and fleet numbers as well?

If not then flight cancellations will be the norm.

It will be interesting to see if all those savings will offset the increased training costs and costs of cancelled flights associated with a pilot shortage.

Fingers crossed for everyone that saner minds will prevail before its all too late.

balusnomore
10th Dec 2014, 05:15
Apparently the National Pilots Union supported by the Expats took PX to Court a day or so ago.

PX told by the Court to go and actually talk to the Unions about the Conditions for the next contract.

Lucille,
Hoofbeats of pilots you ask, I heard second hand that 30 have left in the last 6 - 8 months , and also hearing that that 30 will be joined by more in the coming months, especially since they are hearing first hand from those mates that the grass IS GREENER on the other side.

Unusual-Attitude
19th Dec 2014, 10:19
TANGFU...:D

olderairhead
24th Dec 2014, 10:37
7 days to go.

Alarm bells ringing, Alliance on standby.

What, no crew?!

balusnomore
24th Dec 2014, 11:38
Mate tells me 3 more resignations this week.

balusnomore
25th Dec 2014, 11:28
Unusual-Attitute

TANGFU......I had to think... and then, Hahaha!.

This tweet from the web defines it.......

"For those outside #PNG TANGFU=typical Air Niugini f@#? up"

Chocks Away
26th Dec 2014, 12:13
That's their old name... "Air No-Got"
No got balus, no got pilot... :)

Unusual-Attitude
28th Dec 2014, 02:25
Fit about to hit the shan...sit back with your popcorn, stubby in hand, and enjoy the glorious cluster f$&k that's about to unravel...

Kiwiconehead
28th Dec 2014, 04:57
I heard someone is looking pretty ill after promising the board major wage cuts from the pilots - couldn't happen to a nicer guy

Unusual-Attitude
28th Dec 2014, 09:42
Oh, they'll save plenty in pilots wages...coz there won't be too many left there to pay...:E

jackthelad
1st Jan 2015, 08:11
As at 0800 today Im told 41 pilots have left. Many did not sign the worst contract in the Southern Hemisphere.

Im told, pilots had until 1700 EST to either sign the 2015 c*ntract or be considered unemployed by the company on 1st Jan 2015. And that they would be paid their existing entitlements at the new B scale wage. According to all sources this did not cause the mad rush anticipated by Foo's crew.

According to a reliable source there where several late night phone calls made by senior management to key crew offering them to talk numbers.:ugh:

Pilots where also told that from Jan 1st they would be removed from rostered duties. Many pilots waking to 2015 to find not only have they not been removed but they had extra flights added. Sound like opps normal.:D

Sounds to me that management are putting the total blame on the crew for their own shortcomings. Do they still have 25 or 26 Boeing 767 Captains for 2 aircraft of which one is nearly always away being serviced. I wonder how many of those 25 or 26 are checkies on the highest of high incomes but hardly ever fly.

Gentlemen and Lady (i believe she is leaving or even left) there are greener pastures to feed upon, dont be worried your skills and expertise as pilots in PNG are held in high regard in other parts of the world and will serve you well.

Goodluck with it all, I can only imagine those that did sign the 2015 c*ntract signed it because it pay just a little more than a job search allowance. Cannot imagine many of them giving the required 8 minutes notice required under the new fantastic deal once the get a better ride.:ok:

olderairhead
4th Jan 2015, 05:17
Had a call from a mate who tells me that the PM's plane is grounded at the moment due to a crew shortage caused by the new contract.

Wonder how happy the PM is now that the ousting of pilots' is affecting him directly?

Maybe he should utilise the 73's while they still have crew

this week.

troppo
4th Jan 2015, 22:29
seek, posted this morning
DIRECT ENTRY PILOTS Job in Asia Pacific - SEEK (http://www.seek.com.au/job/27863344?pos=1&type=standard)

olderairhead
4th Jan 2015, 23:00
So obviously it is p!ss off the A scalers and get rid of em, 44 so far I'm told, and employ B scalers instead.

Gee I can hear the rush already, and it isn't from those coming!!!

Mach E Avelli
5th Jan 2015, 00:53
Sadly, the rush will come from India and Eastern Europe and places like Ethiopia.
The rush to the bottom.

balusnomore
5th Jan 2015, 01:10
PX "B" Scale Salary discussed on this thread;

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/479974-air-niugini-t-cs.html

olderairhead
6th Jan 2015, 09:03
I was told today that the Falcon FO is now in battle with PX. Lawyers involved.

PX reneging on paying what he is owed and rewriting his original contract to include a bond for the Falcon. True class.

Word is they also put him on B scale.

I would think that they would be advertising very soon for either a replacement or contract pilot.

Good luck to anyone who takes up the offer.

How much lower can PX go in their treatment of pilots?

It's not all about payscales.

Kiwiconehead
6th Jan 2015, 09:33
PX reneging on paying what he is owed and rewriting his original contract to include a bond for the Falcon. True class.

Jeez, isn't that a surprise - I suspect the same guy tried to tell me that annual didn't mean every year.

olderairhead
6th Jan 2015, 09:41
Is it true that those that didn't sign have been taken off the roster?

And Kiwiconehead did you get tours?

If you did was it negotiated or just given?

balusnomore
6th Jan 2015, 11:50
Lawyers involved

In a country where the Police and Army have a shoot out, in its Capital City.

Papua New Guinea police and army involved in shootout at lock-up - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-12-07/png-police-and-army-involved-in-shootout/5950034)

In a country where an elderly couple are murdered as they were suspected of sorcery, in its Capital City.

Elderly couple killed over sorcery claims in PNG's capital Port Moresby | Papua New Guinea Today (http://news.pngfacts.com/2015/01/elderly-couple-killed-over-sorcery.html)

Could keep on going on but you get my drift.

Well, best of British and all that entails with the Lawyers.

olderairhead
8th Jan 2015, 10:26
Paradise! At least that is what the advert is saying.

And still the promised bonuses have not been paid.

Apparently IFLPA maybe getting involved.

Paradise!

olderairhead
17th Jan 2015, 10:42
Copy of an email doing the rounds:

As an associate of both current and former Air Niugini pilots, I am aware that Air Niugini has advertised Pilot position locally within PNG, on SEEK, the AFAP website, and in the Cairns Post. For those contemplating these Pilot positions the following information (as relayed to me) may be of interest.

“The positions offered will be based Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea with option for domicile at a port of the employees own choosing”.
The Air Niugini Pilots Contract 2015, allows 4 weeks Annual Leave together with ten (10) days off at home base.

The Rostering Department has been instructed to allocate RD’s in a group of 7 consecutive days together with 3 separate individual days for those domiciled domicile at a port of own choosing elsewhere other than Port Morseby. However, with an ever-reducing number of pilots it is uncertain as to whether this Rostering pattern can or will be sustainable.

To travel to domicile, a pilot will be ticketed to a port on the ANG network and will need to use his/her RDO’s for travel as travel will not be rostered on duty. The pilot will therefore have 5 full consecutive RDO’s at domicile, which is effectively 65 days at home out of the 365 days of the year (13 blocks x 5 RD’s). Information is that only one FOC Y class return ticket will be issued per block per pilot.

The single RDO’s will in effective only be useable in the base of Port Moresby as there will be no way of effectively traveling anywhere on a single RD.

Accommodation in Port Moresby (the Base) will be provided by ANG. For those “domiciled at port of choosing” a self-contained two-bedroom apartment will provided on a share with another pilot basis (ala boarding school). It is not known whether there will be a charge for this as those details are allegedly contained in the “Housing Policy Manual”. This manual has not been made available to the pilot group (as far as I am aware). It is believed that, out of each pilot’s salary, an amount will be deducted for electricity, and such amount will be the same for all residents (no matter the amount of time you spend there in your apartment).

For those who take full time residence in POM (ie: not domiciled at the port of employees own choosing), you will be provided POM accommodation. This however comes with a price. it is understood that 6.5% of gross will be taken out of the salary as a “Fringe Benefits Tax” plus an amount for rent will be also be deducted. This is believed to be in the vicinity of PGK6-700 per fortnight. Therefore, for a POM basing, not domiciled at a port of the employees own choosing, over half of the salary will be taken in taxes and accommodation cost.

Whilst in POM no meal allowances or any other allowance will be payable, the pilot will be responsible for his/her own day-to-day living costs, passport, telephone and Internet. Also should there be delays in obtaining any required Visa, Work Permits, etc, no matter if the delay is the fault of yourself, ANG, or the relevant PNG Government Department, the contract states that you will be placed on Recreation Leave until the issue is resolved.

“Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea which has facilities for water sports, diving, tennis, golf, restaurants, and family clubs with access to Australian curriculum international primary and secondary schools”.
Yes, it does have those things, but do not think that Port Moresby is some pleasant 1st world country. It most definitely is not. The following articles will give an indication of what living in Port Moresby might entail.

The “Independent” on the 30 August 2013, listed Port Moresby as the 3rd worst city to live in the world.

The 10 worst cities in the world to live in - World - News - The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/the-10-worst-cities-in-the-world-to-live-in-8790121.html)

“With only 350,000 people living in Port Moresby, this city still gets to enter the top 10 dangerous cities in the world. Theft, rape, murders and auto theft happen on a daily basis, and it is recommended not to use public transportation. Beside all these concern reasons, the entire area is submitted to seismic activities, landslides and tsunamis”.

This Internet article says likewise.

Top 10 Most Dangerous Cities In The World | News, Facts & Other Information You Love - UncoverDiscover.com (http://www.uncoverdiscover.com/facts/top-10-most-dangerous-cities-in-the-world/port-moresby-papua-new-guinea/)

“Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea
: The lone entry from Oceania is the ultra-diverse Port Moresby of Papua New Guinea. PNG is home to over 820 languages – more than any other country in the world. As such, its capital Port Moresby boasts a diverse crew of opportunists and island cultures. It was recently voted by the Economist as the 137th out of 140 places in the livable cities index, making it a tough place to get by.

Rapes, Murders, and HIV are just a few of the daily tragedies that befall this enclave at the edge of the map. Here, even riding in cars is a dangerous activity. Gangs called Raskols are known to rob vehicles transporting foreigners at gunpoint”.
International schooling is available as stated but this is by no means cheap (comparably) and no schooling subsidy or allowance is paid by ANG.

“Port Moresby is ideally located allowing easy accessibility to all parts of the world via Australia, Singapore, Hong Kong, Manila and Japan”.
That is correct. In addition to PX flights, Qantaslink and Virgin operate to POM. Apparently Philippine Airlines will soon be operating between the Philippines and POM.

Should you wish to take advantage of POM as a stepping off point for all parts of the world, and in doing so, decide to use ANG sub load Staff Travel, your family members may need a Visa to transit POM. The PNG Government no longer allows "Visa on Arrival" for Australian Passport Holders, so for travel that is sub-load, a PNG Entry Visa is required. However the Consulate will only issue a single entry Visa, so should it be used on the flight out (delay, cancellation etc) you will need to obtain another to transit back to Australia on the return trip.

Family members who hold passports other than an Australian passport will normally not have that difficulty.

Realistically, unless you live in POM, it will be much easier to use another airline and another staging point to that rest of the world, and in many (perhaps most) cases it will be cheaper as X POM there is no competition and ANG airfares reflect that point

“A competitive salary package will be provided to attract the right candidate.”
New hires will be paid on a new B scale in PNG Kina. In many cases Captains will have “A” scale First Officers who will earn almost the same as they do. In fact, with the current seniority on the B767 fleet, just about every “A” scale First Officer will earn upwards of $AUD20, 000 more than a new “B” scale Captain. This is in no means a criticism, as all new hires will need the assistance and guidance of an experienced First Officers to get the “show on the road” rather than the assistance and guidance of ANG.

To salary paid, the following pay scales are lifted directly from the 2015 Contract. The 2012 Contract was paid in $AUD, however the 2015 contract will be paid in the PNG Kina. A salary in $AUD has been stated which will then be converted to a PGK value at a nominal exchange rate of .40 cents. The pilot salary will the be tied to the Kina (PGK) where each .01 Australian cent variance in the exchange having a significant impact, if it goes up you win, if it goes down you loose.

The salary scales are as follows:

DHC 8
Capt PGK 271,130 / $AUD 108,452 F/O PGK 115,692 / $AUD 46, 277

Q400
Capt PGK 300,118 / $AUD 20,047 F/O PGK 184, 241 / $AUD 73,696

F100
Capt PGK 353,880 / $AUD 141,552 F/O PGK 245,711 / $AUD 98,285

B737
Capt PGK 402,027 / $AUD 160,811 F/O PGK 312, 370 / $AUD 124,948

B767
Capt PGK 428,062 / $AUD 171,225 F/O PGK 312, 370 / $AUD 124,948

Tax is paid in PNG, and compared to the AUS tax scales is more onerous. There is no tax-free threshold applied to residents. For example:

The DHC 8 Captain salary (using $AUD 108, 452 and an exchange rate of .40c for ease of example) equates to $AUD 5,628 net per month. Earning $AUD 90,000 in Australian will give a monthly net take home salary of $AUD 5,614 plus a further $713 paid in monthly compulsory employer Super contribution.

The B767 Captain salary (using $AUD 171,225 and an exchange rate of .40c) equates to $AUD 8,662 net per month. Earning $AUD 150,00 in Australian will give a monthly net take home salary of $AUD 8,701 plus a further $1,188 paid in monthly compulsory employer Super contribution. So you can see the implications of the higher tax and the lack of compulsory employee superannuation.

Whilst no Superannuation is paid by ANG, the employee can salary sacrifice up to 15% of gross salary, but there are tax implications if certain criteria are not met when it comes time to withdraw.

The 2015 Pilots Contract Conditions will last for the next 6 years, although the pilots individual Contract only be for 3 X 2 years. At the end of each 2 years your contract will be reviewed, and renewal will be based on whether you have reached KPI in flown hours, performance in training and renewals together with your general attitude towards the company. If you reach your KPI targets and considered a company person a 1.7% pay rise will be given each year.

A 1.7% increase in salary does not bode well when compared to the PNG inflation rate. In the second quarter of 2014 the inflation was 5.10 %. POM is indeed an expensive place to live.

Commentary.
Within the last 12 months there have been almost 50 Pilot resignations (around 22% of the Pilot group), and the majority of the remaining Expatriate Pilots, and indeed many of the National Pilots, are actively looking for work elsewhere with several already signaling resignations dates.
For ANG this should be considered unprecedented, as over the last several years ANG has had an extremely stable workforce with resignations at a minimum. These more recent resignations began when the general attitude towards the Pilot Group by Management became more and more disdainful, which has now accelerated with the publication of the new 2015 Contract.

Within the last 6 months, 8 Pilots were made redundant as several flying contacts went elsewhere. In that short time ANG has found a need to rehire so as to avoid parking aircraft.

ANG has a very active and large Cadet Pilot system and will eventually reach a self-sustaining Pilot level where the reliance on expatriate pilot will be exceedingly reduced. Management has stated that the aim is to reduce the Expat Pilot Workforce to 20% of the total pilot group within 5 years. That would mean a reduction of a further 60 or so expats over that 5 year time frame.

As such ANG is becoming a short term Contract job.

ANG considers that the Contract it has offered is competitive in the Australasian and Pacific arena. The ANG Pilots that have left, the Pilots that are in the process of leaving, and the Pilots seeking to leave, do not see it competitive. And that is not solely based on the up to 20% Salary Package chop, (11% salary reduction, loss of 13th month bonus together with loss of loyalty bonus), and the no longer competitive salary compared to other available jobs, but very much attributable to the loss of lifestyle caused by the conditions of the 2015 contract.

For those that are contemplating any of these advertised positions, it may be worthwhile contacting an ANG Pilot direct. There are plenty of PDF copies of the 2015 Contracts floating around that they could assist you to get a hold of.

It may also be worth while asking your family if they would put up with only seeing you, at best, at your domicile at a port of own choosing, 5 days in every 28 days (at best).

olderairhead
18th Jan 2015, 23:40
It is interesting to note that the AFAP have just removed the PX advertisement from the jobs section on their website.

Sausage Stuffer
25th Jan 2015, 00:10
As an indication of how desperate the PX "thought bubble' management has become,and what their ('the team")attitude is to their pilots right now,yesterday ad placed on

AviationJobs.me

posted 24/1/15 should tell you.
-----------------
Air Niugini is currently looking for B767 Captains to join the team to be based in Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea

Minimum requirements:

ATP License
3500 hours total time
2500 hours on fixed wing airplanes
Minimum of 1000 hours of Command flight time on Multi Engine Aircraft
100 hours night time

Current PX Flight Adminstration Manual Company required minimums for B767 Command:--
FAM Requirements

5,500 HRS. TOTAL TIME
2,000 HRS JET COMMAND
4,500 HRS COMMAND
400 HRS NIGHT

Sure there is something not quite legal here , but not sure they care about such trivial details.

The word is they actually have quite a shortage of B767 FOs but no mention of that.

Sad to see the final days of a once proud airline playing out.

Perhaps this thread should be re-titled RIP PX or something, as its all about the waterfall decline of the airline now.

If anyone is considering applying, suggest they contact ,as has been suggested, a PX pilot or two and get the real story on what it is really like living in Moresby these days and get a copy of the contract which will tell you about the bits the current management might somehow forget to tell you.
Don't worry about the pilots trying to put you off, the vast majority of them I'm told , including the experienced National pilots ,are heading for the exits as fast as they can and don't care whether you apply, don't apply, get a job with them or not, they are determined not to be there to suffer through it anyway.

If you think their pay e.g. 46,000 AUD with 48% tax approx (Dash 8 FO salary on the new contract) to "live" most of your roster in a dangerous place like Pt Moresby is a step up, then there's not a lot of hope.

Duck Pilot
28th Jan 2015, 08:21
Rumour going around the traps that ANG have cancelled heaps of domestic flights today???

Any truth in this???

olderairhead
28th Jan 2015, 10:22
And any truth in the rumour that Kung Foo Fighter himself was in crewing asking why are my flights being cancelled, are you crewing guys that useless???

Did anyone tell him that if you keep losing pilots at the current rate they will all be grounded?

Mach E Avelli
28th Jan 2015, 20:30
Oldblowjob that is only the beginning of the Karma.
Wait until the training bill comes in for the replacement pilots.
Then the added maintenance costs and diversion costs while the newbies learn how to care for the equipment and cope with the flying conditions.
And heaven forbid if the airline's good safety record goes down the dunny.

The single most valuable resource in a place like PNG is local experience. Management don't get that.

ad-astra
28th Jan 2015, 20:55
Having flown for ANG for a long time and experienced the pendulum of political interference and managerial incompetence swing from full left to full right on everything from nationalisation, off shore bases, contracts, crewing practises, political interference, general business practises, management expertise, pilot numbers, accommodation,..... I can only watch from afar as a great Airline with some fantastic people endure another period of instability.

We have all seen it before but it does not make it any easier to watch the slow motion train wreck unfold.

ANG refuse to learn from the past and are repeating the same mistakes but so to they will be forced to acknowledge and recompense the long-term staff that have kept ANG going all these years.

Good luck to all who have to endure this latest saga.

balusnomore
29th Jan 2015, 13:13
Duck,

ANG are at the point that the Domestic Roster is uncrewable, so cancellations are more reliable than the scheduled flights.

With 50+ pilots off the payroll within 12 months (close to 22% of the group), without replacement, and now looking down the barrel of having more leave within the next months, the schedule would have to be impossible to crew.

OlderDude,

maybe your Mr Foo should read this site, might be a little more factual than what he is getting from his present advisors methinks.

I echo ad-astra comments, good luck to those that are enduring the saga.

geeup
1st Feb 2015, 03:12
Management & post holder pilots within all major companies (PX, APNG, HL, TA) in PNG have not been concerned with PNG hours for sometime. Scary when I think about.

Cravenmorehead
1st Feb 2015, 23:24
Geeup me too. I guess time will tell. It is not as though the infrastructure is receiving massive amounts of money to assist in safety, why isn't time in country as important as it used to be? Everyone works hard to be as safe as possible but there are those days.........when, well we all know.

Killer Loop
2nd Feb 2015, 00:06
I think "time in country" is just as important as it ever was Craving More, as you say the infrastructure hasn't really improved over the years.

I think the problem is that some operators (including the one I work for) don't want to pay for that experience. Without wanting to drift too far off topic many of the contracts in PNG require the Captain of a light twin turbine for example to have an ATPL, 1000's of hours TT, twin turbine command time, ME command time, time on contract type and of course time in country.

Once an individual reaches these requirements he/she is usually ready to move on up the greasy pole (quite understandably) and so the cycle continues of companies having to scratch about looking for suitably qualified people to crew these contracts. However if companies were willing to pay for the experience that is required they would have a core group of pilots who were more than happy to remain in these roles. This in turn amongst other things would cost the company less in training, arguably improve safety, provide a stable roster, improve morale and increase productivity.

Hopefully PX management will realise this before more damage is done.....I am less hopeful about one or two of the other companies in PNG.

Unusual-Attitude
2nd Feb 2015, 03:19
why isn't time in country as important as it used to be?

Because apparently, according to those who know, all you need to do is fly the RNAV approach...you know, into Chimbu, Goroka, Wapanamanda etc...therefore, no local knowledge required.

touring_pilot
6th Feb 2015, 02:43
Not many flights for Air Nuigini today. Rumors about a strike? Any news??

balusnomore
6th Feb 2015, 11:46
Not many flights for Air Nuigini today. Rumors about a strike? Any news??

From a mate.

"No strike action, just numerous resignations.

PX Link is not so affected, but the "Mainline" Domestic (Fokker and Q400) schedule is a real mess with many, many uncrewed and ongoing cancellations of flights, which is ever increasing as guys one after the other run out of duty".

Seems a bit of "Management reap what you sow", in other words, you can steamroll the guys with an non negotiable sh*tty contract , but you can't make them stay to suck it up.

PX might be advertising for parking attendants soon,.... maybe very soon!

Maisk Rotum
6th Feb 2015, 12:42
Mmmmm.

Can you please post the RNAV into Wapenamanda, Chimbu and Goroka here please for us old hands to review and marvel how all of a sudden flying in PNG has become much easier.

While you are there, also post the RNAV into Telefomin, Tapini, and Tabubil.

socksfirst thenshoes
6th Feb 2015, 23:34
Maskim I think it was a tongue in cheek dig at what's going on. Tabubil has an RNAV approach but is only cloud break and useless. Tari has a cloud break RNAV and works really well if flown properly, read slow. Moro's is pretty good too, runway aligned, no decent approach lighting though.
I guess the point is, it is a difficult environment to fly in, "local factors" , weather high terrain, poor infrastructure ect etc etc. Pilots with experience should be valued not shafted.
Socks first
Midvale school for the gifted class of 74.

Killer Loop
7th Feb 2015, 01:05
Socks,

I think Maisk Rotum understood the irony of the post perfectly, hence his tongue in cheek reply.

geeup
7th Feb 2015, 11:14
Why would LinkPNG be unaffected?

NCD
7th Feb 2015, 14:44
Why would LinkPNG be unaffected?

Link has a different management team to PX, not too sure about being unaffected though.

Unusual-Attitude
7th Feb 2015, 19:54
Link is certainly not unaffected, as link crews are being utilised to cover uncrewed F100 and Q400 flights. Net effect...everyone out of hours. :D

olderairhead
12th Feb 2015, 04:56
Looks like it is getting a bit political up there at the moment.

East Sepik Governor Sir Michael Somare is calling on Air Niugini to ground all its flights and immediately sort out the pilots’ salary crisis.

The founding prime minister is still not satisfied with State Enterprise Minister Ben Micah ‘ s explanation in parliament this week.

He says Minister Micah has lied to parliament and the people of Papua New Guinea.

Grand Chief Somare is concerned saying he has learnt that Air Niugini lied to the International Civil Aviation Organization who are responsible for air traffic control and flight path clearance.

He further said that on the 7th of February ANG submitted to ICAO a flight plan for the Narita and Lae route and actually the flight landed in Port Moresby.

Sir Michael is also calling on the Civil Aviation Authority to step in as the matter regarding shortage of pilots is not only a domestic issue but also an international safety issue.

He says since the resignation of over 40 pilots, domestic flights have been cancelled or reschedule due to pilot and crew issues.

Sir Michael claims flight PX011 from Manila on Monday required pilots to sign on for work at 10:25pm PNG time and arrive at 5:00am PNG time and then rest for 10 hours and are expected to fly to Cebu at 5:30pm Tuesday afternoon.

“Pilots may meet the rules and requirements” but what about fatigue and tiredness? What would be the pilots’ level of concentration in an emergency situation? Is that not a safety issue?” He questioned.

- See more at: Micah tells lies on Air Niugini: Somare | PNG Loop | PNG online news and classifieds (http://www.pngloop.com/2015/02/12/micah-tells-lies-air-niugini-somare/#sthash.vbyVl1wA.dpuf)

Sleeper88
12th Feb 2015, 06:55
Anyone have any idea why there was a Qantas 738 at jacksons intl today?

mauswara
12th Feb 2015, 07:12
QF B738 Charter most likely pre-planned to cover PX B738 PXC in China for sched. maint.No conspiracy theories just yet!

balusnomore
13th Feb 2015, 12:27
...most likely pre-planned...

ROTFLMAO at that one :)

Mate, Pixie are cancelling Domestic flights now because they can't even organise their crew buses to pick up crew.

Pre-planned, haha, good one!!!!

Fujiroll76
14th Feb 2015, 00:23
Without the negative comments. Does anyone have a contact where you can send your CV? or is the website the only way?

geeup
14th Feb 2015, 10:25
Now this should get interesting :}:}
Pass the fantales :E:E

Boney
14th Feb 2015, 21:23
Fujiroll

The drivers that are still there are dealing with major issues. Those issues may be resolved sooner rather than later if there is little or no interest in the new pay deal from wannabes.

Any new hire that takes up the new fantastic terms and conditions would be about as popular as Cancer, me thinks. Of course, you could be honourable and ask to stay on the substandard conditions if a fair deal was negotiated 6 months after you joined?

Good luck but I would check your coffee for an oyster when it turns up if I were you!

Unusual-Attitude
15th Feb 2015, 00:23
B scalers won't be welcome, or accepted into the png pilots association...so I'm told.

NCD
15th Feb 2015, 10:40
Fujiroll

in the event that you are not taking the piss,.. and are just simply too lazy to use the search function of this wonderful BB, hereunder is a link that will take you to a thread that provides not only the website, a phone number, but also an email address for the EMFO for your resume submission.

http://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-aviation-questions/479974-air-niugini-t-cs.html

Can I say though, that unlike Sharpe Aviation (as per your previous posted enquires), Pixie does not yet have self sponsored cadetships.

However, perhaps you could forward PX a business plan with the self sponsored concept, and if you do put one together for them, can I suggest you also forward it to APNG (actually APNG have been down that track before, only under another name) and also to Hevilift.

Would seem that the "Holy Trinity" is not just a biblical expression.

Good Luck in your endeavours, however I suggest that you read the main part of the post by Boney...maybe disregard the oyster part for now, as at this POINT IN TIME there is no picket line for any of the three airlines. :)

truthteler
16th Feb 2015, 09:16
PX management continue their blindingly astute appreciation of the circumstance they find themselves in and resolve to fix it in a way only possible in PNG....:ugh:

With over 50 pilots having moved on, they now find difficulty in crewing scheduled flights. Instead of saying"hmm... perhaps we miscalculated a wee bit", what is their response? - Publish an entirely new flight schedule, removing over FIFTY FLIGHTS per week. Don't worry though (they tell themselves), no one will notice, certainly not tourists stuck in the gateway because their flights have been cancelled...As long as they are meeting "on time" departures on the new and improved schedule everything must be ok...surely...

How to snatch defeat from the jaws of - well, not victory, but you get the idea...

Wait for the next instalment as the numbers leaving continue to grow...

olderairhead
17th Feb 2015, 01:19
I heard the number is up to 62.

NCD
17th Feb 2015, 09:16
62 experienced guys gone, and all the new guys put on the list in the last 12 + months are 200 hour cadets!!!

Is it any wonder APNG is reported to have SO many ATR orders!!

But wait, I hear rumbles of APNG possibly "Downsizing" T & C's as well....maybe they should be looking at the carnage going on just a little way up the hill :ugh:

Speed Is Life
17th Feb 2015, 12:21
Has something changed recently in "PNG aviation management school" specifically with how to look after you most valuable asset - your people?

Obviously aviation and living in PNG is unique - inclement weather, LSALT above 16,000', lack of ground based aids and radar services and the lack of law and order to name a few.

In order to attract and retain quality aviation professionals in this environment, you have to pay a margin above comparable roles elsewhere - this is the cost of doing business!

Living and working in PNG is dangerous. This was clearly not factored when reviewing salaries (and l include APNG in that statement)!

It might be high time for pilots from all the bigger operators (PX, APNG and HL) to band together on an united front to negotiate reasonable terms and conditions with one voice one association.

Conditions that attract and more importantly retain a stable and professional workforce.

Unusual-Attitude
17th Feb 2015, 12:48
Too late...at least for Px. Damage well and truly done. I believe 63 have now gone one way or another since 1/1/14, without replacement. A few cadets have come...but yeah...it's pretty f:mad:ked.

Good will and trust has long since left the haus...so I'm told. ;)

olderairhead
18th Feb 2015, 07:05
An extract from PNG Blog sums up the mess.

AIR NIUGINI LTDThe 2013 audited accounts are not available on the company web site for 2013. The IPBC web site shows Air Niugini’s last completed audit was 2012.

The company is in breach of its own Act, the IPBC Act, the Companies Act, the Tax Act/Regulations, and the Audit Act.

The company’s directors are:
• Frederick Reiher, chairman
• James Tjoeng, deputy chairman
• Noel Levi
• Luke Minjikuli
• Leslie Hayward
• Ken Harvey
• Gary Tunstall
• Ian Tarutia
• Evangaline Taunao, alternate director/IPBC representative
They should resign/be sacked and criminal and civil investigations should be undertaken at Air Niugini. Sir Fredrick Reiher is a crony of the Prime Minister, and a political appointee to the board and as chairman. He was involved with the Prime Minster in the public housing scam, and has a long history of dishonesty and corruption. He has been placed at Air Niugini to serve the interests of the Prime Minister and Minister Micah. It is unclear what the other directors and the senior management do to earn their money. And what is Ms Evangeline Taunao doing on the board? She is supposed to be an independent watchdog on behalf of the airline’s owner IPBC rather than be taking part in Air Niugini board decisions. She has a conflict of interest.

It is clear from the latest panic cuts to pilot pay that Air Niugini is heading for bankruptcy just like PPL.
Other publicly available information highlights the failure of the board and management.
The airline is operating at a loss of K37.8 million, or K8 million worse than in 2013. Revenue is down and costs are up and the company underspent its quarterly capital budget of K32 million by K7 million.

This is a crash waiting to happen.

Full link here Papua New Guinea Blogs: PNG SOEs teetering and are on the brink of crashing (http://www.pngblogs.com/2015/02/png-soes-teetering-and-are-on-brink-of.html)

TBM-Legend
18th Feb 2015, 11:55
How's the Eramus show going then? Travel Air F-50's must be hard to keep on the road up there...

Jobear
21st Feb 2015, 18:19
Sorry to say I saw the writing on the wall earlier last summer and promptly hit the silks.

ANG Management from the top to the bottom are all liars. I am sad to see and hear of the great team that was at ANG bailing out but I can not blame them at all. I was shocked to see the T&C's deplorable! As challenging as it was flying there to have the EMFO or Danny not stepping up and stopping this from occurring is worse.

Enjoy the Nationalization guys!

Killer Loop
21st Feb 2015, 21:07
I would say the National crews are being effected just as badly Jobear.

saabsforever
21st Feb 2015, 23:18
Legend- The old 50s seem to be steaming around just fine and TA seems to be just doing its thing mainly on the north coast, but they do get about for a small fleet. Much better shows in town at the moment if you like a good soap opera. I guess they are just consolidating and may well be a rising star they do need to be very bright to shine up there right now.
Link PNG may be just fine too if ANG lets them actually run an Airline, and they are at least trying.
Airlines and ANG seem to be having a competition to see how little crews can be paid and still turn up. This may not end well and could end up looking like fleets of Fokkers, Q400s and new ATRs with no crews.
The upcoming south pacific games will be in interesting time watch this space!

Eddie Dean
21st Feb 2015, 23:43
Seems to be an epidemic of problems in PNG aviation.
HNG engineering being run by Fiji Indians, offered engineers 95 thousand Kina as salary against previous 120 thousand AU$

olderairhead
27th Feb 2015, 23:07
The troops have just been given 1 days notice that they will be relocating from the Hateway to the Ela Vista, self serviced, no food, hot bed apartments. Methinks there might be a few more resignations very very soon!

paulsalem
28th Feb 2015, 02:32
It's a newer apartment complex near Ela Beach (map (https://www.google.com/maps?q=-9.477281,147.158415&num=1&t=h&z=18)). It's actually fairly nice, and secure. However it's accessed off a side road and has no restaurants inside the facility, and no maid service. It's a standalone apartment complex, not associated with a hotel.

Kiwiconehead
28th Feb 2015, 04:46
It's a standalone apartment complex, not associated with a hotel.

What transport is provided?

And probably about the farthest from the airport you can get in Moresby

splat72
28th Feb 2015, 19:21
Resignations are now becoming a thing of the past at ANG now as crew are now just hopping on planes and just "walking out"!

Jobear
5th Mar 2015, 23:46
I doubt the National crews moved from the other side of the planet for a promised salary and contract term then had it yanked out from under them?
In any other aviation job a contract is for the term of the contract not the the whim of FOOls. I also know that the National pilots are basically indentured servants to the company for a fixed period, and the company holds them to it but it seems no other contract matters. Did the Fijians leave as well?

Good luck to ALL ANG pilots and please be safe

olderairhead
17th Mar 2015, 07:52
Just been told that PX has been ordered by the court to go back to mediation and as one would expect they have appealed the decision. Apparently it was a case started by a pilot who was terminated and the Judge quickly realised it involved all pilots so PX were told to deal with both pilot gruops, expats and nationals. Should prove interesting.

And I was told there is a revolt on the housing front, pilots are refusing to share. Some in the Ela Vista and some in the Gateway.

Rocky road ahead.

flyingsaint
17th Mar 2015, 21:11
:mad: ........ok read enuff , ANG apng hevilift.............just a question some one with 4500 hours command on the dhc6 2700 pic otter 300 training CPL'S WITH IR............trying my best to get an atpl wud prefer an aussie one , got to find time to get there.........to sit and study..........qu=uestions remains?.......im looking for a job there? chances?:ok:

Mach E Avelli
18th Mar 2015, 00:38
If you apply the same diligence and attention to your flying as you do to the way you research the background and then write a post here, I would say your chances are three eights of five eights of......all.
Good luck with the Aussie ATPL, too.

NCD
18th Mar 2015, 06:38
You really have to wonder about those that read a thread which is mostly about industrial turmoil, action and ongoing court proceedings, and then ask about a job on it!! :ugh:

Why not try the wannabe section, or do what many have done..get on a flight and go and find out first hand.?

olderairhead
18th Mar 2015, 10:55
Back on track, PX lost the appeal using an Oz QC.

Mediation commences tomorrow.

balusnomore
18th Mar 2015, 13:26
So....new hires, if you have been offered a contract it might pay to hold off on the signing!!

The Court case mediation might make the offer much, much, (& much, much, much) better than that "B" scale on offer.

Sausage Stuffer
21st Mar 2015, 05:49
Was told this morning that
Mediation unsuccessful .
Pilots (national and expats together) left an offer on table open until end of April.They sounded like a single committed pilot group to me.
If true and the Pixie management past behavior of refusing to negotiate is any guide then new history is being written by the managers methinks.
new hires should avoid it until there is an outcome you will not enjoy it otherwise to put it politely. Whatever happens up there the expat pilot career in PX is pretty much over IMHO because expat phase out is now a policy stated by the company

olderairhead
26th Mar 2015, 11:35
Hell of a Bitch apartments are sounding good!

Apartments not cleaned, raw food left in ovens, sewage smell, no power (electricity) PX only provide K400 per month, barking dogs, paper thin walls, jugs don't work etc etc.

All sounds like paradise.

Wish I was there.....................NOT!!!!!!!

And have not mentioned the mediation. Oh dear! :sad:

flyingsaint
27th Mar 2015, 01:10
cheers mate thanks for the advice...............and who are you to talk about my flying.

t1dUs
30th Mar 2015, 18:44
could someone please say something about the latest situation with ANG? how's the mediation? are people still leaving in big numbers?

cheers

olderairhead
30th Mar 2015, 23:25
This is reposted with permission from the author.

Sums it all up very nicely.

Welcome to 20 fully serviced shared apartments with two separate bedrooms and bathroom facilities, common kitchen and living room at Ela Vista /Gardenia …….Would you like ELECTRICITY with that???

I offer these thoughts in the hope that some of those who make these decisions also read these posts.

Let’s Recap then (please correct me if I’m wrong):

A large group of professionals largely responsible for a reputation of world standard aviation safety over a 40 year period, are told to sign a new non-negotiable employment contract in breach of an existing legal enterprise bargaining agreement; with 33% less annual leave, pay cuts of at least 20% and slashed working conditions by 31st December 2014, or consider their employment terminated in 2015.
These Professionals are now known as ’A’ Scale.

About 65 Pilot’s who did sign (under duress) and who were previously based around the world in New Zealand, Australia, Philippines etc. now automatically become Port Moresby based but externally domiciled.

Then, despite roughly 66 /228 pilot resignations/ terminations/ redundancies in the preceding 6 – 12 months (or approx. ¼ Pilot Staff) in March 2015, ANL’s Board and senior staff arrange to relocate the POM accommodation arrangements of the remaining 65 offshore “Domiciled” pilots.

Despite the objections of the Chief Pilot, Manager’s Durrani and Umanga, at very short notice, ANL provided POM staff accommodation was changed from hotel accommodation with minimal transport delays to the airport and access to 24 hour sustenance; to 20 fully serviced shared apartments with two separate bedrooms and bathroom facilities, common kitchen and living room at Ela Vista/Gardenia; which are also rumoured to belong to a senior politician with a conflict of interest in ANL’s affairs.

That’s 65 pilots divided by 20 two bedroom apartments, which obviously doesn’t work if they are permanent digs for POM based crew. Luckily ANL senior managers don’t regard the Ela Vista/Gardenia complex as permanent accommodation.

According to Rei Lagona

“The accommodation in Moresby is merely transit accommodation for the work period in POM.”

and…

“ANL is providing the accommodation in fully serviced apartments with two separate bedrooms and bathroom facilities, common kitchen and living room. It has been stated that FIFO don’t do this; that is incorrect as there are FIFO arrangements like this in PNG.”

and…

“What is stated above is what the company can provide. Should crew decide not to utilise the Company provided accommodation because they refuse to share, then the crew concerned will have to arrange for his own accommodation at his own cost.”

Right, so company supplied, shared, temporary style accommodation a long way from the airport, with no alternative company option. Got it!

(I believe the FIFO arrangements Rei is referring to are in the Resource Sector, which is very far removed from the International Airline environment; and I don’t believe many resource sector FIFO operations have “Top Up” power or outages!)

Funnily enough, affected Pilots are not happy with what they see as a forced sharing arrangement and understand this accommodation issue is extremely important to every pilot. EVEN PX CADET PILOTS DO NOT SHARE APARTMENTS.

Pilots see it is a basic, fundamental component of employment conditions, not a side issue. In other words, A WORKPLACE HEALTH AND SAFETY ISSUE.

Pilots also see the non-negotiable attitude from senior ANL managers as confirmation of being treated with contempt – yet again.

ANL’s Chief Pilot’s view is reported to be:

“My "advice" was given to Durrani and Umanga after they requested input. They weren't in favour of the move either.
Basically, my point of view is……..no sharing with another pilot. The other issue is transport for shopping etc. I have a car and can fend for myself, not the case for the majority of pilots. If you cannot feed yourself then you will be unlikely to have an adequate rest period.”

Well said.

Although the small bedroom’s are reported to be unsuitable due to aircon and loud laundry noise, ANL managers still regard the Ela Vista/ Gardenia apartments as shared facilities, but neglected to ensure they were provisioned for more than one person; i.e. 1 cup, 1 glass, 4 plates, side plates and dessert bowls. 6 knives forks spoons and teaspoons. medium size sharp knife, spatula, fry pan and pot. (BYO washing powder and dish washing detergent).

If the units are to be shared then each occupant will need to bring his own cup and glass if he/she wishes to have a cup of coffee or a beer at the same time!

Almost immediately accommodation faults surfaced, suggesting a hurried preparation from management. I would argue that some of these issues are ANL’s direct duty of care responsibility to their employees. Examples listed in this thread include:

Bad sewage smells; Poor plumbing resulting in water flow and gurgling noises; Noisy neighbours and very noisy dogs for hours at night which is not restful and makes sleep impossible; Poor build quality, such as a hard to open door which didn't allow for an oven door clearance; Cheap glass doors with flimsy locking mechanism which block no noise on balcony and bedroom because of big air gaps; Sliding balcony security screens are difficult to operate & impossible to lock; No security on bottom gate leading to fire escapes and access to units; 2 pin power outlets; Power Points u/s; No hot water; Leaking shower cubicle because the floor is not recessed; Rooms not serviced; Un-reliable appliances….and no power because it had not been “Topped Up”; Ah well, early days right?

Assuming there is one, it could be argued some of the faults indicate serious flaws in the PNG building code. It does raise the question of what due diligence ANL undertook to ensure the safety of its employees before the unprecedented haste in forcing employees to move into the complex. It’s all good until the place goes up in flames and someone gets hurt, only to discover it wasn’t built to an accepted code.

Despite shared accommodation in a Port Moresby based situation being against ANL’s own current housing policy (Section 4.), the board and certain senior manager’s appear to be indifferent to ANL’s Duty of Care, in spite of contrary advice from other senior managers who have specific experience in these issues.

The Chief Pilot himself has acknowledged that as each pilot is exposed to different work patterns, therefore changing flatmates continually creates a level of fatigue which he/she is compelled to address; Pilots must now cook for themselves regardless of their duty times and must be able to access secure, reliable transport to shops to achieve this outcome. Most “New POM based” pilots do not possess motor vehicles in PNG and must rely on alternative transport options.

According to Rei Lagona, ANL recognise this problem:

“There will be a bus provided for an interim period to assist to get to the shops and a daily allowance of K100 per day also for the interim period. We will review this arrangement after a transitional settling period.”

As stated above, the shopping bus and allowance is a temporary arrangement only! After whatever unstated time period, ANL will cancel this service in the expectation that everyone will have access to private transportation and food supplies.

Which is all very good, except the company accommodation is “merely transit accommodation” and everyone knows how stable ANL’s roster system is, right?
No-one can plan to buy more than a few groceries at any one time because they will be expected to vacate their unit when overnighting or returning to their domicile. And depending on duty sign on/ sign off times, maybe not even then.

I never thought I would see a situation where aircrews would look forward to a Lihir or Moro Overnight/ Weekend. I can now!

But let’s suppose for a moment that you COULD do a decent shop and store it in your POM unit until you return, with no worries about food theft by your flatmate:
How can you guarantee the REFRIGERATOR you left your frozen and fresh food in, will not be turned off by Port Moresby’s Unique Electricity supply and lack of Standby Power: or because someone forgot to “Top Up” PNG Power’s Easipay Prepaid Electricity supply.

How would you know that your food had not been spoiled while you were way – even for one day? As all pilots know, food poisoning, is a very real issue.

In 1980, (yes, 35 years ago) Port Moresby’s Electricity Outages were World Famous. All hotels had standby power even way back then. PNG Power (Elcom) has possibly the world’s longest running electricity supply issue and is also possibly the most consistently mismanaged utility provider in the world. And it’s now broke!

So, does anyone know if the Ela Beach Gardenia Apartment complex has Standby Power generators to protect against the infamous and inevitable daily power outages?

But, even if there IS Standby Power, with “PNG Power’s Easipay Prepaid Electricity” your electricity may still be turned off! And exactly how much electricity does K400 / Month per apartment buy you anyhow? Apparently, not enough to support the operation of trivialities such as lights, aircon and REFRIGERATION.

Top Up Power? In An International Flag Carrier’s Company Supplied Staff Accommodation? Less than ideal before or after a reasonably busy day I would suggest.

Regardless, the current accommodation arrangements can only encourage poor eating habits due to lack of access to quality meats and good fresh fruit and vegetables; or just lack of access to food; and will make short term fatigue and illness issues inevitable. Chronic Fatigue also becomes an issue.

ANG Mis-Managers have now set a new World Record in Airline Standards: Low, Very Very Low, even by PNG standards! It seems ANL’s Industrial Relations Policy and Duty Of Care to it’s Professional Staff is beyond repair.

The important thing for ANL’s Board and Senior Managers to realise is that it is not just the pilot’s problem! It’s theirs also because their decisions created it!

Just my two cents worth.

t1dUs
31st Mar 2015, 18:51
very concise information

thank you for your response

olderairhead
19th Apr 2015, 22:54
I have just been reliably informed that PX standards are now close to those of poorer operators in the GA sector.

Following a recent unserviceability at a mining camp a replacement a/c was sent out. Crewing and operations insisted that the original crew continue with the flight to Cairns knowing that they would break flight and duty limitations.

No amount of protest by the crew to crewing and operations meant anything. Fatigue and safety were ignored, the job had to be completed.

Finally the Captain contacted very senior management and had them intervene. Sensibility then prevailed.

My informant says this is now not an isolated issue.

geeup
23rd Apr 2015, 03:38
PX are due back in court today.
And I'm told there is a board meeting.

olderairhead
24th Apr 2015, 03:48
Word is the train wreck moves on.

Interviews recently held in Melbourne and Singapore.

From a candidate - PX were unable to confirm any of his questions and were quite vague with giving exact details. Also that the 'new' guys that were being interviewed had not seen the contract and didn't know what their salary would be.

As for the ongoing industrial case - mediation did not occur. Apparently PX is appealing the original decision again.

Interesting to note that it is legal for the expats to take industrial action and rumour is that they may be heading down this path.

Sausage Stuffer
24th Apr 2015, 10:26
Talking to some PX older hands this afternoon.
Mediation last month did not succeed due PX recalcitrance mainly.

Court hearing yesterday was apparently for the report from the mediation days last month ,but it did not happen because of either court admin stuff up (matter listed by lawyer but did not appear on the days list of events) or judge removed it for some reason, perhaps knowing that dispute/arbitration is pending anyway.

PX would want to avoid arbitration at all costs because matters will be finally ruled on (judges decision is final and all that) and they wont be able to spin it out with endless appeals and any other delaying tactics they can think of.
Yes PX is still appealing the first judge's decision (the one that sent them to mediation in the first place).

No, I don't understand that either."The land of the unexpected" they used as a tagline for years--yep there's a reason for that.

Another gem from the people who have been given management titles---PX Cadets are now being told that when they check out for their first command --they will be on the "B" scale pay.

This despite the fact that their new "contract' says B scale is for "employees engaged by PX after 1st Jan 2015".
A 10 years-with-PX cadet just starting his command training was told this last week --not a happy camper--and understandably so.They treat their people very badly nowadays if they think they can get away with it.

An extra bonus gem--- the fact that new cadets were called individually to the office a few months ago and told to resign from the National Airline Pilots Union if they wanted job security, or words to that effect.

I reckon good contract lawyer in a normal first world jurisdiction would have an absolute gold-plated field day with all the "new PX contract" irregularities.

Note
B scale Dash 8 Capt = 108,000 AUD gross then top level PNG tax taken out
B scale Dash 8 FO = 46,000 AUD gross --go figure.....why anyone would apply??

Latest news just to hand, well latest rumour actually, but that is what we are all here for, right?

An APNG pilot was remarking to another pilot on the electronic media the other day..the context being that there were many unresolved contractual issues in the APNG pilot world..."we are supposed to join up with Link PNG in a couple of weeks , and they still haven't got xyz sorted"

What did he mean?
Rumour or Fact?
That one needs an investigative journalist!!

olderairhead
6th May 2015, 22:02
Seems like the word is out.

At the recent Singapore interviews only 3 turned up. None suitable.
In Melbourne, 10 turned up, either ex retrenched PX pilots, unemployed ex PX pilots and a couple of local PNG guys. 3 failed the sim

Roaring success.

Oh and 2 more experienced pilots resigned. Will make for an interesting DHC8 sim. Bit thin on checkies now.

And it is now common practice to roster in excess of 12 hours duty and PRINT it on the roster! Where is CASA and Senior PX management pilots???

No word on the non mediation meetings.

Guru8904
8th May 2015, 16:41
PX were unable to confirm any of his questions and were quite vague with giving exact details. Also that the 'new' guys that were being interviewed had not seen the contract and didn't know what their salary would be.

At the recent Singapore interviews only 3 turned up. None suitable.

I was invited and asked to bear all the costs including airfare,hotel etc which would be reimbursed ONLY IF I WERE SUCCESSFUL. I sent an email asking for the package on offer and I was informed that We do not provide complete details of the package by email and this is discussed in the interview.

I didn't think twice before refusing to attend. Now when I read about what happened there, I think my decision was more than correct.

balusnomore
9th May 2015, 14:34
Guru 8904

I had a friend email me the following in relation to the current ANG T&C’s. It is posted to given an idea of what you would have been offered.

2015 CONTRACT
As soon as the 2015 contract came into existence it was reduced to PDF and should be freely available. Admittedly PNG Employment agencies do not have any online facility for such things, but I am guessing that "someone" would know "someone" who had a copy to pass on.

The main points of the contract are as follows:

CONTRACT PERIOD
The Contract of employment lasts for 2 years, the Contract Conditions last for 6 years

SALARY
All those employed from 2015 will be paid the “B” Scale salary.
It is paid in PNG Kina, but below figures have been converted into USD at the current rate. The USD figure will fluctuate with the value of the kina, which can be a little volatile.

Tax in PNG is quite high, so both Gross and Net have been given to give an appreciation of take home salary. I believe that ANG will be interviewing for the DH8 Classic and the F100/70 fleets.

DH8
Captain
$USD 8,428 Gross a month, $USD 5,248 a month after your tax is paid.

First Officer
$USD 3,596 Gross a month, $USD 2,446 a month after your tax is paid.

F100
Captain
$USD 11,000 Gross a month, $USD 6,740 a month after your tax is paid.

First Officer
$USD 7,638 Gross a month, $USD 4,790 a month after your tax is paid.

TRAINING BOND
(reducing pro rata over 2 years):
DH8 $AUD 25,000
F100/70 $AUD 30,000
If already endorsed you will be bonded to the value of $6,000 pro rata over 12 months.

BASING
Everyone is based in POM, although you can be domiciled elsewhere. Y Class ticketing is provided 2X a block if you are domiciled elsewhere. You travel in your own time, which if connecting flights do not fit your roster mean you will travel on your days off.

ACCOMMODATION
No-one has seen the revised housing policy, however in the past if you were POM based reasonable accommodation was provided. This was free of cost but rumour/gossip is that that may very well change once the new housing policy is released. There is a taxation and company charge that MAY be applied.

For those that are domiciled elsewhere other than POM, accommodation is provided at a large apartment complex. The 2 bedroom apartments whilst small are secure and modern with reasonable facilities (cable tv, pool, BBQ area gym, aircon etc). The finish is somewhat “shoddy” when compared to 1st world countries, but still OK.

ANG runs the individual rooms like a hotel room. You “check out” of your room and another “checks in”. Your roommate "checks out", another checks in. There is no permanent room, nor is there any permanent roommate.

You may very well “check in” late at night only to wake your roommate, who may wake you in the morning with his early start. Your roommate may be one that has a partner or child residing/overnighting in the apartment as well.

Both bedroom have their access off the loungeroom, so unless you wish to be inconsiderate, no more watching late night TV if your roommate is in bed.

The only way for privacy is to lock yourself in the room, or hope roomate overnights elsewhere.

DAYS OFF
10 days off a month. You can request these in blocks such as 1,1,1,7 or 4,1,5 or 4,2,4, etc. Remember that you will most likely travel on some of these days so they will most likely not be full days at Domicile. Domicile elsewhere is not as good as it sounds as you have to travel in own time to and from work. Single days off will obviously be spent in POM as it will be impractical to travel anywhere.

RECREATIONAL LEAVE
28 DAYS (accessible after 12 months of continuous service).

SICK LEAVE
15 days for each 12 month of service, cumulative to 3 years.

MORALE
Both the Citizen and Expat Pilot bodies are currently involved in Court Action against ANG relating to the implementation of the 2015 (present) contract.

Since this contract was introduced around 40 pilots have left. Some just walked without jobs to go to.

Unusual-Attitude
11th May 2015, 11:53
Since this contract was introduced around 40 pilots have left. Some just walked without jobs to go to.

...yep...and haven't looked back! Sooner be broke than work for the current idiots in charge, although I picked up work pretty quickly...there is life outside of PX...we're actually quite employable it turns out! :E

capt available
11th May 2015, 16:46
Having received the formal letter of successful interview in the last few days, the offer is at best vague and well below acceptable, not only to undertake the job in a day to day role, but also with the main fact that you are PMO based.

Not here to slag anyone, but just puting my two cents in.
Pleasant experience all round, sim and interview were both pleasant and relaxed. Seem to be a nice bunch of guys to work with.
But......
The T and Cs now on B scale leave alot to be desired. Accommodation, paxing, rosters, general flight and duty times all still a mystery.

Was really looking forward to my next challenge and adventure.

Back to the drawing board :ok:

NCD
12th May 2015, 11:22
capt available

curious, did you let ANG know your thoughts, and if so, was there a response?

Understand if there are "In Confidence" issues.

olderairhead
25th May 2015, 06:08
Word from up North is that National F/O cadets on the F100 who have completed their cadetshipp time have now been put onto Dash 8 F/O B scale wages! :eek:

Also whispered to me that a PX 767, Captained by a management pilot, flew to Brisbane a couple of days ago and is now "tech" due to skin damage from a loose emergency escape step flapping in the breeze at 500 kts. :eek:

Told they decided to get the aircraft to Brisbane rather than a far quicker return to Port Morseby. All "gossip" at this stage but does seem to fit their current way of thinking. :ugh:

Anyone in the know from up there able to confirm this?

olderairhead
3rd Jun 2015, 20:48
Latest from PX insiders, court case is still progressing. PX challenging court decision to allow for the pilots to be combined. Mediation cannot commence until this is sorted out.

In the meantime EMFO rumoured to be threatening Q400 drivers who are refusing to be training captains that they will not get Fokker commands.

Harmonious relations continue.:hmm:

And rumour HR have advised that from the interviews etc 8 have been offered jobs but with no command prospects.

capt available
4th Jun 2015, 14:50
Sadly had to say no thanks

Finer details hazy to say the least :hmm:

The Big E
6th Jun 2015, 01:34
Also whispered to me that a PX 767, Captained by a management pilot, flew to Brisbane a couple of days ago and is now "tech" due to skin damage from a loose emergency escape step flapping in the breeze at 500 kts.

Anyone in the know from up there able to confirm this?

Anything to do with the GIRT Bar?

Blue Skies, and keep the faith.

Regards to ya all, Big E.

Ozdork
7th Jun 2015, 23:24
Girt Bar. On a 767? I thought that they had left the Boeings after the 737's.

olderairhead
30th Jun 2015, 23:55
Latest from up north:

The court case is still being delayed by PX. How long can they do this before the court says enough is enough?

BIG battle looming cos pilots are not returning keys to Ela Vista (they do not want to change rooms/beds) and company is threatening to charge K500 to replace the keys AND charge for electricity to those offending. And because of missing keys pilots are being put up in the Gateway again!

Question is, will the troops invoke industrial action (strike) that is now allowed under the industrial system? This one may set it off.

More pilots have left and more to follow very soon. The bed issue will further increase this number.

Stay tuned.

Duck Pilot
1st Jul 2015, 11:41
I would imagine any such industrial action during the next 3 weeks would not go unnoticed, especially if flights to the neighbouring Island Nations were effected.

olderairhead
2nd Jul 2015, 09:47
Update:

737 F/O replacements are now coming from the cadet ranks and their salary is that of a Dash 8 F/O. I can hear the war drums from here!

NCD
2nd Jul 2015, 12:29
Older man

My very sad and despondent mate advises..

"Am told PGK50O per key, most of the apartment key rings have 3 keys, so that is PGK1500."

😱 $AUD700 for three keys!!!!!

olderairhead
7th Jul 2015, 22:05
For those contemplating a move to PX I have just been told a very senior manager had a meeting with cadets very recently and told them their jobs were secure as there would be no expats employed by PX within 5 years.

Reliably informed that with this and the ongoing accommodation debacle pilots will commence walking very very soon.

Stay tuned.

Sausage Stuffer
8th Jul 2015, 01:06
Coffee houses, now replace the pub as information exchange locations.

Reliably informed that national management (virtually all of it now) has ramped up greatly its anti-expat attitudes (behind closed doors of course , in meetings and private exchanges).

Management now prefer to believe that all problems are caused by over paid under worked expats and all problems will be fixed once they are all gone.
There is one expat top level manager who has found a niche for himself in corporate world (formerly in Qld. Water or similar place and is now in PX) based on attacking "high" salaries, the one and only trick in his bag.How original, give that man a bonus..
Typical of under achieving accountants, he believes the old "anyone who earns more than me is overpaid" thinking, and all the familiar drivel about how easy pilots job is compared to their pay.
Management of course love this and will use him until they don't want him.

For any capable pilot,there are far better career opportunities elsewhere now , sadly, as the seat you get given if you join now will never change.
Yes that's right , no promotion prospects and no relief from a management now unrestrained by any "mutual obligation"contract rules except to demand you comply with every latest thought bubble idea,regardless of whether it is sane,fair or reasonable .
Ignominious wind down of a once unique airline with a equally unique unblemished safety record, for how long one wonders.

The Big E
8th Jul 2015, 09:35
Management now prefer to believe that all problems are caused by over paid under worked expats and all problems will be fixed once they are all gone.
There is one expat top level manager who has found a niche for himself in corporate world (formerly in Qld. Water or similar place and is now in PX) based on attacking "high" salaries, the one and only trick in his bag.

Name that preek, and let's see what he is made of.

Some of the problems appear to have stemmed from the gradual accumulation of second rate (or lower) expats who have insidiously crept in over the years. Most have proven to be a poor substitute for the real people who they have supposedly replaced, and they have little or no interest in anything other than feathering their own nest. Some have caused employee unrest and dissention to the point where many qualified Nationals have moved on. They had considerable experience having been mentored under the old guard of previous decades, and in reality were those that the Company could ill afford to lose. (Case in point being the LAMEs who are now in WA and elsewhere through unfair treatment).
There certainly does not appear to be the degree of mentoring that took place in yesteryears. Maybe they have little or nothing to offer and are just seat polishers, who are occupying titled positions but they are semi incapable of delivering what is required.
It is a crying shame to see how the Company has slowly deteriorated from the excellent Company that it once was, such self inflicted decline being almost entirely due to the poor standard of blinkered management in most areas, where they can't see the wood for the trees.
A culture and a mentality of "it is always someone else's fault" has never done any good for any business, and it won't work here either.

Blue skies up chaps, and keep the faith. Regards to ya all, Big E.

Chocks Away
8th Jul 2015, 15:03
Don't put up with that ****e! Head to Saudia, where they want you, need you and can afford to pay you well above all others to keep you!

Happy Landings.:ok:

got you sighted
9th Jul 2015, 07:03
I think somewhere around 70 pilots have left since the "negotiations" started. Those guys and gal are now scatted around Australia, China, japan, Macau , Naru and Vietnam. That I am aware of. They have great jobs with lifestyles to match and there is more and more recruiting going on in Asia right now! I think ANG will find themselves in somewhat of a pickle with no one to blame except themselves in a very short period of time.
GYS

Duck Pilot
9th Jul 2015, 07:31
70 pilots gone in less than 12 months??? That's got to be at least a 30% reduction in pilot numbers in a very short period.

If the fleet and schedule hasn't been reduced proportionately, there Safety and Training departments must be practicing magic.

It's got to be a worry for CASA PNG, last thing PNG wants is a major safety problem with their national carrier with events like APEC coming up in 2018.

balusnomore
13th Jul 2015, 06:15
olderairhead

....as there would be no expats employed by PX within 5 years.

At the rate the expat PX guys are getting interviews and subsequent offers, i'd say there would be very few of the current expats still there in 5 years, the vast majority will have left LONG before that.

The 2015 Jihad contract started the rout, and the adhoc shared Accommodation has put the final nail in the coffin for any desire to stay by the guys.

Em tasol Pixie.

olderairhead
14th Jul 2015, 10:12
Up there it is commonly referred to as the "ethnic cleansing program".

Told today more resignations imminent, just waiting on medical results. All other aspects of employment passed.

NCD
15th Jul 2015, 23:01
Am told two more resignations today, makes 72. Others just waiting until a bit closer to their start dates before putting in resignation letters.

Major domestic disruptions the other day due to just 2 guys calling sick. Resignations will be causing more havoc than that.

Best way to protest a crap contract is with your feet, and apparently PX is finding that with such a contract it is not easy to simply replace qualified guys/girls as probably thought.

TANFU comes to mind.

olderairhead
18th Jul 2015, 00:24
Deposit has been paid to PX for the purchase of 3 of their Q400's on the proviso that they are all serviced.

One needed a new set of props. Quick check of the records showed 36 blades in stock however they could only locate 10. 26 "gone missing". :rolleyes::=

Wonder how they are going to blame the pilots for this one. :E

On top of that there was turmoil when 2 F/O's called in sick on the same day and they could not crew flights for both the Fokker and Q400 fleets. Multiple flights cancelled.

And

4 more resignations about to be handed in which should make the situation even worse than what it is now.

Bloody pilots!

olderairhead
23rd Jul 2015, 20:23
I hear that CASA PNG will be meeting with the pilots to investigate rostering practices that are reportedly not in accordance with the regs which is contributing to pilot fatigue. Could be interesting.

Stay tuned.

balusnomore
20th Aug 2015, 10:04
Am told that the appropriately named "Wall of Fame" has three more names on it...3 highly experienced Captains.

Also hear that several Captains and F/O's have the resignation letters in the flight bag waiting just a little closer to the start dates with their new companies.

Mountain flying, crappy infrastructure and company experience is exiting at a fast rate stage left...:mad: n hell!!

em nau!!!!

olderairhead
20th Aug 2015, 11:50
Been told the next court hearing (read appeal) is scheduled for the 27th.

As for the "Wall of fame" the guys are queuing up to have their names added.

Also latest snippet is that Focker crew levels are so low that if anyone calls in sick they just cancel the flight because they have no coverage and it will get worse as more F70's arrive.

Duck Pilot
21st Aug 2015, 02:41
APNG and Travel Air now have ads on the AFAP website for Captains. Good opportunities for the younger nationals directly or indirectly.

olderairhead
31st Aug 2015, 20:37
Just received the following - the Capt has handed in his resignation, he's had enough:

The following report was submitted by Capt XXXX today.
The facts speak for themselves.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
26th August 2015

XXXX – Set Up and Robbed by Police on the Way to the Airport

On the 25th August I drove to the airport at around 4:00 am to meet my wife who was arriving on PX 011 from Manila. As I reached the top of Burns Peak I met a police road block. They checked my driver’s license then let me proceed. As I got to the bottom of the hill near Waigani Drive I noticed a car coming up behind me. The car got on my tail and started following me. I was concerned because it was very early.
I began to drive faster in the hope the car would not follow however it increased speed with me. I then decided to drive as fast as I could to the airport in an attempt to escape the car. Just before I got to the airport the car cut me off. It was only then that I realised it was a police vehicle. Three or four men were in the car, two dressed in police uniforms.
One approached my car and demanded my licence. I gave it to him. He then said I was speeding. I tried to explain that I was only speeding because I was being followed and was not aware it was the police and that I was in fear of my life. He said I was under arrest and would be taken to Boroko police station. When I explained that I was at the airport to pick up my wife he said I could pay a fine or go to the police station. He demanded that I pay a fine of a 1000 kina or go to jail.
I told him I didn’t have 1000 kina but only 600 kina. He then demanded to see my wallet and then took an additional 300 Australian dollars. He then said I could pass through. I believe that I was set up as they did not identify themselves as a police while they were chasing me.

ad-astra
31st Aug 2015, 22:12
I have been gone a long time.
20 Kina was sufficient in my time.
I cringe to think where this spiral will end. No pun intended.

ohallen
1st Sep 2015, 00:23
Yep stock standard practice for years. anywhere between airport, yacht club and city, hand over K20 and on you go, no argument its just the way that it is. There is no way I would have stopped at that time of the day anywhere or for anyone.

Heard a similar story in KL, alleged speeding, option to pay now or go to the cop shop, wallet extracted cop reaches in takes all notes and goes away.

Killer Loop
1st Sep 2015, 00:40
Sorri tru Captain. I stopped driving after dark in 2010 in POM. Just too expensive and I got tired of the ridiculous "dance" one has to often do at the police station while they extract the cash out of you. The Captain did well to avoid all of that as it can get out of shape very quickly once they have you at the station.

Logohu
1st Sep 2015, 03:44
It won't be a problem soon because all the service stations around Moresby are running out of petrol. So nobody will be driving anywhere anyway.
Problem solved !!

troppo
1st Sep 2015, 04:07
Was the real story a 4am drop off to HB where he was met by the angry parents?

Killer loop you could write a synopsis on third world incarceration ;)

4 am drop off? Back in my day I'd just give them a pmv fare on their way out the door. The NCA boys called it deferalisation

Sausage Stuffer
1st Sep 2015, 06:53
Captain XXXX can count himself lucky he did not have a bloodier story to tell. Being in civvies they would have no idea that he was a PX Capt, which might have made them think twice about pursuing him, who knows.Its way back in the mists of last century now since I had any involvement there, but I remember there was a little bit of respect accorded the pilots. And F27s were exciting..

Maybe they have all adopted the chest beating anti paleface attitude. I did not say "anti-expat" because I am told that they do not consider Fijians, Tongans,Indians and the like being in the country and filling up good job vacancies-to be "expats." They are apparently o.k. Maybe they weren't guilty of "colonial practices" .
That was a management line told to me late last year when the PX contracts were being "negotiated"- I believe it was actually written by one of the national department heads involved.
"Expats" to them seem to mean nowadays -white Australian tasol.Kiwis would probably get a white hat as well.

I think the whole point about the Capt XXXX post is that no matter how many physical assets they have acquired --high rise buildings, new roads, flyovers, airport terminals,supermarket and whatever else they have built of late--if the criminals are disembarking from a police vehicle to ply their trade --they are still mentally and govern-mentally a type of 2.5 world banana republic.

Harsh? I think not. If your police force and defence force personnel are basically out of control, which has been proven by countless sordid incidents faithfully recorded by their own media over the years (thank you, internet) , then sori tomas ,that is a fact.

Politics aside, it is pretty clear now there is much better job value elsewhere if you are a pilot, or for that matter any other qualified person looking for a career.Better money, better living standards and workplace environment, and actual job prospects beyond a year or two.
PX even as a "stepping stone" now looks to be not worth the constant hassles and risks any more.A pity ,because my memories are all good--a place of tremendous natural beauty and lovely people.

Ive recently been told that the back-packer living that the Company is forcing on the pilots with the forced sharing of apartments with random partners is to continue for another year! If that doesn't break the camels back then the camel is missing most of its brain.Even a new Cadet has his own accommodation, so why should sharing be ok for senior Captains and F/Os?.

All the rumors(and that's what this website is about ,right?) I hear suggest that they don't care about their airline winding down too much.There is some quick buck fantasy (for a few big men I guess) involving privatisation coming "soon". How it will work is anyone's guess, but we can be sure it will be interesting,in the Chinese sense.

Good Luck Capt XXXX you have a good dinner time story to take with you now from the land of the unexpected--or as a late friend of mine used to say, "'the land of the expectorant"

Kiwiconehead
1st Sep 2015, 07:24
They didn't think twice when I got rolled in the PX hangar car park a few years ago, that was the beginning of the end for me.

Loved that job - but that place :/

Killer Loop
2nd Sep 2015, 05:26
Mr.TBL Warrior, a synopsis is a brief summary or general survey of something usually consisting of between 500 and 800 words.
You my friend could write a novel (100-120,000 words) on night driving (and your misadventures) to such places as a Badili, Baruni, Bomana, Boroko, Ela Beach, Ensisi Valley, Erima, Gabi, Gerehu, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven and Nine Mile, Gordon’s, Waigani and Saraga. Of course your area of expertise would be a chapter solely on the challenges and attractions of Hanuabada.
Now back to the topic………………….:ok:

olderairhead
2nd Sep 2015, 11:42
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:

olderairhead
2nd Sep 2015, 22:19
Back on track, amended court date (edited):

The PX and R.L. appeal against the judge’s original decision to join the parties together will be heard in Supreme Court Waigani on September 7th.

This is called a directions hearing.

For this hearing PX has prepared what is termed their "appeal book" which is as it's name suggests is a book containing all the documents which PX will be relying on to support their appeal.

At the Directions Hearing on 7th the judge will confirm the appeal book and decide on a date for the hearing.

This may be in October, but more likely in November, as the court books are chokkers according to the solicitor.

geeup
4th Sep 2015, 04:32
aaaaiiiiyyyyeee

olderairblower court will shut in December - January

It's a job for next year

Maisk Rotum
4th Sep 2015, 06:26
Em I isi:

1. Rausim olgeta aid I kam long Australia.

2. Givim olgeta manmeri wanplea banara.

3. Givim olgeta manmeri planti spakbrus.

4. Sindaun isi na lukim pait.

Killer Loop
4th Sep 2015, 08:12
No need for number one, two three and four are happening anyway.

geeup
5th Sep 2015, 03:48
Could this is be true?

AeroRescue lads from Cairns helping PX management by accepting B Scale contracts joining the F100/70 fleet.

If it's true I'm hoping they don't know about the pay & conditions court case..

balusnomore
6th Sep 2015, 23:12
......then I imagine they will be quite popular with their new work mates

Their new workmates will probably look at them with pity seeing that they have had the need to except a job that comes with such a crappy contract, such crappy conditions, ...well crappy everything really.

And when the new accommodation block is open next to ANG Haus at the Airport, they will not only have the "pleasure" of working for PX, they will be able to enjoy their "off" time under the watchful eyes of PX Management that work in the building right next door. :ugh::ugh::ugh:

Cessna Jockey
6th Sep 2015, 23:48
AeroRescue lost the SAR contract to Cobham next year, so those lads are going to lose their jobs regardless. Can't blame them for trying to keep food on the table, still pays better than Centrelink....

balusnomore
7th Sep 2015, 05:33
Duck,

A very long bow to draw parallels to '89, at least IMHO.

From contact with some of the guys still there I get the feeling that they don't give a flying F*@K who comes and works at PX, as many have more important things to consider, ....such as how to get another job and leave the place.

CJ, it does pay better than Centrelink, but at PGK 116,000 (DH8 FO), or PGK 271,000 (DH8 Captain) with PNG tax and superannuation, one could do a lot better elsewhere, and do it in a better atmosphere.

Of course the Fokker salary is a bit better, but being at the mercy of the PGK/AUD exchange rate would be a concern.

Pity the type rating bond is in AUD though.

Duck Pilot
7th Sep 2015, 07:34
Whilst the money might be Sh!t compared to what it used to be, try getting over $120K as a DHC8 captain in Oz, simply isn't possible. On the positive, the Kina has gone up, it about 0.50 to the AUD today and there are tax advantages to self contributed super in PNG - far better super deal in PNG than in Oz albeit its self contributed.

I'm not defending ANG, I'm merely pointing out some facts.

Nil Ident
7th Sep 2015, 08:59
Hey Duck,
Spot on mate, the boys at AeroRescue are just trying to look after the family with food and a roof. If, some of these desktop drivers could understood the pressures of being a pilot with a family and being in GA 😫
Having been at ANG myself for three years some time back, I must say, it was the best flying I have ever experienced- bar none. Today, in a stable job in OZ, it's as boring as BAT-****!!
I would go back in a heart beat if the conditions were well right, and you were well respected,as they should be, because it requires a certain breed of pilot who can keep the operation on the rails. You have to pay well for that core experience , probably gained over many years of exposure in PNG. It's a job at a certain time of your life if your looking for adventure. I must say also,it's not necessarily an expat thing, some of the most admired and respected pilots I ever flew with were seasoned PNG nationals.
All the best for those that choose that gig. I hope in the end the board reverses there decision to reduce the companies core experience and they hold on to the dedicated individuals that have maintained a zero hull loss record since inception.

Nil Ident.

olderairhead
7th Sep 2015, 09:29
The only problem is that PX management have said over and over again that there will be no expat pilots within 5 years and they started saying this in November last year. That is almost 1 year ago so only 4 left and given the massive recruitment of cadets they may even fast track the 2020 cull finalisation date.

They have determined the future so may I suggest stop living in the past.

balusnomore
7th Sep 2015, 11:31
Duck

The Contract Pay Level on offer for a DH8 Captain is PGK271,130. The transition exchange rate of .40 equals $AUD108,452.

However, with the higher PNG tax, and no super, the equivalant AUD salary (at .40) is around $AUD 91K - somewhat short of your $120K....

far better super deal in PNG than in Oz albeit its self contributed.
You are making a joke, right...right??

Duck Pilot
7th Sep 2015, 12:31
How can they lock anyone into an exchange rate if you elect to get paid in country into a PNG bank account, they can't prohibit an expat electing to get paid in country. Once the money is in the bank account you ain't locked to anything. It's a gamble I know, however the way the AUD is falling at the moment you are going to be better off, even with the bank fees to do TTs, that can now be done remotely online.

Re the super, it makes money if you play your cards correctly.

You guys need financial advise if you can't work this out, re the super.

olderairhead
7th Sep 2015, 21:28
No expats by November?? Who wrote that?

From the contract: PNG based Employees will have their salary paid into a PNG bank account in PGK.

And reference the "Super", if you stay in excess of 5 years and you are a bit on the older side it can work in your favour a little but if you are on the younger side you will still pay tax rates in excess of 30% and have to wait 12 months after leaving the country- not PX - before you have access to it. Leave any earlier and you pay full tax. Is this the sort of financial advice you are referring to Duck Pilot?

Hopefully this clarifies things a bit.

tail wheel
7th Sep 2015, 23:05
As a Mod and as one with many years PNG experience, I find certain posts on this page childish, ludicrous and objectionable.

AeroRescue lads from Cairns helping PX management by accepting B Scale contracts joining the F100/70 fleet.

If it's true I'm hoping they don't know about the pay & conditions court case..

geeup, precisely what are you insinuating? I know nothing more than what I read on this page but it appears to me and from subsequent posts, an AeroRescue pilot or pilots have secured an advancement in terms of equipment operated and secured their employment into the future, beyond the loss of their own company's rescue contract.

Would you care to explain what is immoral or unacceptable in finding a new job or exactly who they "helped" in PX management?

In 1976 the emerging PNG Government moved towards localisation and that has been a relentless process in the intervening years. Airlines world wide are endeavouring to reduce staffing costs and I suspect it is inevitable that as PX obtain more national pilots with experience on the equipment they operate, expatriate crew numbers will decrease or disappear. Learn to accept what has been inevitable since 1976. :=

And why shouldn't PNG replace their expatriate crews with PNG nationals? PNG is not a utopia for foreigners nor do you have a perpetual right to live in PNG unless you accept PNG citizenship, wages, terms and conditions.

After 23 years - more than half my life at that time in PNG - I awoke one morning and knew it was time to go and make a new future life in Australia.

You too must contemplate that inevitable decision.

Starting to bring back memories from 89.......

I won't even comment on that statement! Don't even raise that year here!! :mad:

Cut the childish cr*p or the thread gets closed! :=

Duck Pilot
7th Sep 2015, 23:41
I misread the statement in regards to no expats by November. Additionally it would be totally unfair if there was resentment against new hires.

The AON super is a little gem deal, especially if you can afford to throw a whole 15% in and you are older and stay in it for longer than 5 years.

All in all, I believe that ANG would still be an excellent airline to fly for, with second to none training.

Change is always good.

Metro man
8th Sep 2015, 00:56
The Aerorescue pilots probably regard ANG a a temporary option to get some jet time and move on. A year or two up there and then the field opens up considerably in the international job market. With QF new joiners spending seven years in the jumpseat and no sign of any new recruitment, and a seniority list at Virgin that offers the real possibility of the right hand seat for the rest of your career, ANG might not seem too bad an option.

With no career expectations or loyalty involved, a purely business decision can be taken to do a couple of years, get 1000 hours and move on. ANG management have decided to get rid of their expats and they are already leaving enmass for jobs which they may not have been qualified for before they joined.

In these circumstances why not grab the chance for some career advancement, which is sadly lacking in Australia ?

geeup
8th Sep 2015, 01:01
Tailwheel,
You have read a lot into my post.
I will clarify MY post and intend on taking the opportunity to respond to a lot of the points that you have raised.
However first I require a couple of SPs to gather my thoughts.

Duck Pilot
8th Sep 2015, 01:06
Totally agree Metro Man, could be some good opportunities especially for pilots who may be looking at unemployment or who are currently unemployed, especially for the people effected by the down turn in the FIFO business in northern Australia, or the demise of the SAR contract in the future. We as pilots must support and look after one another, not think for ourselves.

Good luck to all who apply.

geeup
8th Sep 2015, 04:55
So this is a rumour network and the rumour I heard was AeroRescue people from Cairns to join PX on the F100/70.

I was looking for a true or false.

All new recruits to "B Scale".

Therefore if the above is true which it may not be, do they know PX is in court with regards to industrial action? That is in court with the APA, NAPU & Cadets (220 odd not wanting to accept the above conditions).

If outside help be it AeroRescue people or anyone else it doesn't help the existing pilots case. Note certain website removed the PX job adverts for this reason.

The signing of any "B Scale" contract can only help the PX managements case.

As for the loss of the AeroRescue Cairns I contract I know nothing about.

Does this clarify my post?

Further to that I would like to clear the air with some facts about me with regards to your post:

I understand nationalisation is the future (barking up the wrong tree if this post is about racism as my wife and kids are Papua New Guineans).

Let's not head towards I'm a cadet bashed cause the mentioned wife is an ex cadet all be it not a pilot nor anything to do with PX hence I'm all for cadetships.

As for citizenship I qualify on 2 fronts 1) Wife 2) Over 10 years in PNG (not as long as some but enough to understand a little)

Returning to Oz hasn't been ruled out.

So Expats, Nationals & Cadets (current pilots) are in court / industrial action over pay & conditions and people are will to come in and accept B Scale..

I've been called worse things than childish. I'm just a small fish in a small pond.

Can I suggest instead of closing the thread just ban me perhaps as I feel lots of valid points are being raised.

balusnomore
8th Sep 2015, 12:32
QUOTE]Learn to accept what has been inevitable since 1976[/QUOTE]

Each PX Expat pilot has been aware of that fact since way back when, and I would think that many may take acceptation to that seemingly patronising sentence.

For information,... historically PX Work Permits were, and even now, are issued on the basis that the holder will train Citizen Pilots to be their replacements. All Expat PX pilots understand that.

Regards the replacements, well the PX Cadets are generally selected exceedingly well, and their training is excellent. So the need for expats will certainly diminish. And the PX cadet program has produced excellent pilots, trainers and checkers.

There is obviously still a need for expats (the current intake indicates that) due to there quite simply being a lack of "home grown" Pilots to fill the need.

However, the last few pages has not been about cadets or Expat replacements, etc, it is about what is happening in PX atm.

Geeup sums it very well. it is about an Industrial dispute which has led both the Citizen and Expatriate Pilots taking unprecedited Court Action against PX Management,

PX Management treats all it pilots equally, ..equally bad!!

As a simple and one off example, Cadets with 7 + years of servitude are now being given their commands on B scale salaries, due to being deemed to be new employees:ugh:.

So this discussion is not about what is inevitable since 1976, it is about industrial relations.

And to those that insinuate that the PX pilot group will take issue with new hires taking "B" scale job. Well, that is just absolute crap, the PX pilot body is one of the most all encompassing groups around, and to insinuate otherwise is just pure lunacy.

And whist I am no longer part of it (thankfully), I cannot sit back and make no comment on some of the crap that has been posted on this subject.

Duck Pilot
9th Sep 2015, 08:34
Industrial issues relating to pilots in PNG is fought with danger given the safety implications if any decision goes the wrong way for the pilots.

The sooner there is a resolution in the courts the better.

Wheelie, don't close this thread or ban people as all the contributors have a genuine vested interest, even if we do say some stupid things from time to time.

olderairhead
22nd Sep 2015, 11:40
The wheels are turning slowly in the PNG court system. The hearing is delayed until.......................??

Sicofit
22nd Sep 2015, 22:25
I think you must have hit a raw nerve.Dont mention the war.

olderairhead
28th Sep 2015, 11:00
Latest word from up North is you have to brown nose the EMFO to get a command on the F100.
Commands being given out of seniority with no bypass pay.
Also no letters saying why you were bypassed.
It only gets better. :ugh:

olderairhead
14th Oct 2015, 21:07
Latest word via Kundu is Supreme court case has been listed for the end of October for the long awaited decision.

On top of this another pilot who was terminated for not signing the new contract has commenced private proceedings against PX.

And those expats that have/are joining LINK PNG are definitely on B scale and are not being given a seniority number. New cadets do get a number.

troppo
15th Oct 2015, 03:49
I see they are advertising on seek for a gm

olderairhead
27th Oct 2015, 03:25
Supreme Court case is on today. Will be interesting to hear the result.

olderairhead
27th Oct 2015, 20:52
The result is that 3 Supreme Court judges heard final arguments from both parties and their decision will be handed down on 30 October.

balusnomore
30th Oct 2015, 13:04
As described to me, this court case was as a result of an appeal by Air Niugini against a decision by the PNG Courts that allowed the two separate Associations/Unions representing the Pilots of PX and one private person (pilot) to JOINTLY take action against PX.

That appeal by PX was apparently lost today with PX ordered to pay the costs.

The original matter will now proceed back to the original court with the three complainants continuing their proceedings in a joint action against PX.

Not over yet, but a win on the board it would seem.

Older dude may know more.

Good luck guys.

Jobear
8th Nov 2015, 13:36
So the moderator can be a internet bully when someone says something he personally doesn't like? As I read geeup's post, it is a valid observation, if the remarks hit close to home, get some thicker skin. I find pilots under cutting pilots for B-scale wages to be reprehensible it damages us all and worldwide it will bring down T & C's. I have empathy for the rescue pilots but find another line to support your families trust me PX cares nothing for you.

If you don't like it maybe being a mod on the Professional Pilots RUMOR Network is not for you.

E&H
8th Nov 2015, 21:15
G'day Jobear, hope everything is going well for you. Tend to agree with you, however I think most outside of PNG would be ill-informed as to what is actually going on up there at the moment which is why these pilots are taking the B scale contract to the detriment of all existing crew. As you would know 74 have left and more to go...things are pretty grim at the moment.

olderairhead
19th Nov 2015, 05:38
Another go pinis on the Vista rooftop with some more resignations just put in.

Seniority is out the window with new commands being out of seniority and no letter of explanation as to why you miss out. And naturally no bypass pay.

Not a happy camp at the moment.

2 more direct entry F/O's on the fokker, level B

The long legal battle continues with the Christmas break coming up.

olderairhead
30th Nov 2015, 10:49
Now each crew member is required to chech each others validity of ASIC, Company ID, Pilot Licence, Passport, Medical and Visas before flight and sign a checklist before commencing flight duties.

Seems like the company is incapable of keeping track of these basic details and will blame the operating crew if they do not meet currency.

Begs the question - what will happen to the operating crew if they do not check each others currency - another reason to get rid of someone?

NEVER, NOT IN PX!

splat72
8th Dec 2015, 13:16
And when all the pilots are gone the little treasures up at Ang haus will scratch their heads and say "Sh!t who do we blame now":ugh:

The Big E
8th Dec 2015, 21:08
Seems like the company is incapable of keeping track of these basic details

As usual, the guys at the coal face are maintaining the standards, :ok:while the procrastination continues in the tangfu tower.
While all Document holders have an individual responsibility to keep themselves current and legal etc., the Company, as a Certificated Organisation / AOC holder, has an even bigger obligation and responsibility to monitor and keep track of their operating personnel. This being one of the functions of their Quality and Safety Assurance / Safety Management System.
To see such blatant management abrogation:= of this fundamental requirement really begs the question as to who is 'checking the checkers', from the regulatory area and through the AOC holder.
It was a far superior and more competently manned and managed Organisation in the past. Em tasol.

Kiwiconehead
9th Dec 2015, 06:44
So what is King Julien's role in all of this?

http://www.dreamworkstv.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/KJN_JULIEN_01_RGB.jpg?889

Duck Pilot
14th Dec 2015, 08:11
Stumbled over this Airline pays K20m dividend | The National (http://www.thenational.com.pg/?q=node/99623)

NCD
17th Dec 2015, 08:28
Hearing rumours that a new General Manager has been appointed at Link PNG.

Ret Sabala, where are you working these days??????

olderairhead
18th Jan 2016, 10:40
So the pay rise (1.7%) is due but those on B scale will not get it yet. Contract anomaly???

Kiwiconehead
18th Jan 2016, 19:36
So the pay rise (1.7%) is due but those on B scale will not get it yet. Contract anomaly???

King Julien once told me that "annual" doesn't mean every year, when I queried why my increment hadn't come thru.

I offered to buy him a dictionary.

Jobear
19th Jan 2016, 01:17
Why should the airport be re-vitalized at a cost of 20 Million?

It, as we know, would be for naught, it is not a good place to stopover for fuel/food or lodging the ATC sucks bad and walking out of the terminal is worse than when I was in Kabul or Baghdad. Love the Island but the corupption and the politicians have ruined any chance of PNG every taking the big step forward not matter how much AUSAID they get.

olderairhead
28th Jan 2016, 09:06
The legal wheels turn slowly in PNG but turn they do! Court case is pending and should commence in February. Legal Eagles meeting with pilots now. Let the games begin.

olderairhead
2nd Feb 2016, 20:04
A long road ahead.

Mid February into the National Court for a hearing, then filing of statements of claim, followed by a directions hearing from which a trial date is to be set.

Expected finalisation of the trial and a decision no later than June.

But it is PNG after all so nothing is certain.

Good luck guys.

olderairhead
7th Feb 2016, 22:13
Latest memo from the company says that posting of photos where company uniform has been worn and is clearly visible in social media postings (ie Facebook) will be subject to disciplinary, action including termination.

Must be a bit worried about their reputation maybe??

Or concerned the truth will come out??

balusnomore
8th Feb 2016, 12:50
Any truth a PX Fokker was recently used as an "air cart" to start a 737NG, ..... Gossip mill reckons success for the 737 start :ok:, but not so good for the poor old Fokker "air cart" :eek:.

olderairhead
10th Feb 2016, 03:42
NCD (post 197) my sources have confirmed that your suspicions are true. Start date at this point in time is unknown.

Might cause a bit of anguish with a newly won contract or two as word is they changed providers to get away from said new GM of Link PNG.

Some of the Link troops are not very happy at all.

As for the Fokker story, yet to get confirmation.

Duck Pilot
10th Feb 2016, 05:42
Would that be the contract to go into the lik lik ples balus long hela?

I heard the same from a reliable source.

olderairhead
10th Feb 2016, 19:57
The air cart rumour mentioned above is no longer a rumour. It is now confirmed.

As is a management proposed single engine ferry of a F100 from Honiara to Port Moresby. Luckily it was vetoed by the fleet manager who at the time was out of country.

A thin white line..............

balusnomore
10th Feb 2016, 22:18
Thanks Olderairhead,

Guess the single engine ferry would fit it nicely with the Value Enhancement Programme, 10% saving in fuel to be sure....Oh, but maybe offset a little by the Rolls Royce Tay rebuild.

olderairhead
13th Feb 2016, 05:21
More on the VEP.

Without negotiation with either pilot body the board has cut DTA by 10% for up to 8 days and 15% for more than 8 days.

Want a hire car while away on business - then you need approval from the CEO.

Gotta pay for all the cancelled flights somehow I suppose.

Centaurus
13th Feb 2016, 07:21
Any truth a PX Fokker was recently used as an "air cart" to start a 737NG, ..... Gossip mill reckons success for the 737 start , but not so good for the poor old Fokker "air cart"

Never heard of that trick before. Request amplification out of sheer curiosity. :D. Sound like the equivalent of the old Indian rope trick of starting a DC3. Wrap the rope around the spinner, attach the other end to a jeep and drive off. Failing the availability of a jeep, have ten strong men and true, with the chosen hero grabbing one prop blade. :ok:

balusnomore
13th Feb 2016, 22:38
Centaurus,
found an old Fokker 28 article on line (http://steemrok.com/nw%20san/nw%20f28)....
"there is provision for a 'buddy' start where both engines can be started from a second F.28 by means of connecting pipes. One Airline in Australia requires each of it aircraft to carry such a pile in the event of a rescue operation"

Sounds like a jet version of your Indian rope trick :).

@olderairhead.

Without negotiation with either pilot body the board has cut DTA by 10% for up to 8 days and 15% for more than 8 days.

HEADLINE: PX STAFF TO EAT 10-15% LESS TO HELP BOTTOM (LINE).
"BOOM BOOM" :E:E

olderairhead
13th Feb 2016, 23:02
Here is another link https://www.flightglobal.com/FlightPDFArchive/1976/1976%20-%200697.PDF

Also awaiting answers from my PX contacts.

NCD
14th Feb 2016, 00:21
F28 to F28 "buddy start"...interesting stuff.

Anyone found an article on F100 to B737 NG "buddy start".

Reminds of things you don't want to hear in the flight deck..
....."Wonder what will happen if I do this?", ....How's about we just give this a try"....."just a second more", ....."OOPPPS".

Kiwiconehead
14th Feb 2016, 01:56
It was practiced by Ansett in the F28 days - apparently developed by Ansett.

PX asked Fokker about the buddy start option and got blank looks., so copied Ansett's

The F100 buddy start system was developed a few years ago as a solution to flat batteries and APUs not working.

mauswara
14th Feb 2016, 08:32
I did a "buddy start" (donor a/c!) betwixed f28's in Rabual,decades ago.I don't recall the procedure in the F100 OM?? I may be wrong. But F100 to NG, WTF is this,an episode of "Bush Mekaniks"??? Lukim Yu , Maus

balusnomore
14th Feb 2016, 10:52
mauswara,

Doff's me hat to you, never come across or heard first hand of someone who has done a "Buddy Start" between two jets ...Never seen any written procedures in any Jet I've flown (not saying it can't be done, of course - the articles posted state it can.)

In this latest case, and in this day and age, would wonder if a written procedure might be needed ...Interesting what input might have been given by Fokker/Boeing/Rolls Royce/CFM International.

Anyway...anyone know if the F100 is still on the ground, or did it make it back to JAX.

And mauswara
Lukim Yu as well sir

Musta
14th Feb 2016, 23:20
I have done between 2 f100's. Engineer fits mount to left engine bleed valve runs ducting to other aircraft just like air cart. It diverts the bleed that would be used for a cross bleed start. Took about 30mins to 1 hour for engineer to fit.
Would think same for f100 to 737

ad-astra
15th Feb 2016, 01:48
Rescuing F28's with the buddy start equipment was pretty common in my day. Hardest part was taxing close enough for the hose to reach but far enough away to be able taxi out after coitus.

Bit like life really!

olderairhead
17th Feb 2016, 20:05
Finally received a breakdown of the buddy start and ferry flight. This no doubt will raise a few eyebrows.

Boeing 737 broke in Honiara.
Fokker was sent with NASA (sic) engineers to rescue it.
Problem apparently Boeing wouldn't start
NASA geniuses (sic) decided a good idea would be to buddy start the Boeing using the Fokker. (Buddy start is a standard procedure in F28 world and became so in F100 world --at least in PX)
Buddy start was only ever done Fokker to Fokker--i.e. same engines.
NASA (sic) decided that WTF it would be the same and hooked it up to the Boeing.
Opinions differ as to whether this minor detail was told to RR
Somehow the F100 over temped for a good 10 secs or more during this process.
After the damage was done it was decided to ferry it back to POM because it was "too costly/inconvenient to do engine change in HIR".
Allegedly RR were in the loop for the ferry flight and it flew to POM.
Everyone connected to the proceedings is avoiding comment
Engine was replaced.

Jock p
20th Feb 2016, 12:02
Air Niugini (http://atwonline.com/airframes/air-niugini-take-seven-former-klm-fokker-70s) has ordered four Boeing 737 MAX 8 aircraft at the Singapore Airshow. The previously unidentified order adds to the Papua New Guinea national carrier’s fleet of Next-Generation 737s and 767-300ERs.
“Papua New Guinea is like no other place on earth and the 737 MAX will allow us to economically and efficiently connect our beautiful country with the rest of the world. The superb economics of the 737 MAX will enable us to increase flight frequencies and develop into new markets which offer significant opportunities for Air Niugini,” Air Niugini chairman Frederick Reiher said. “As our region continues to grow, the 737 MAX is the perfect choice for Air Niugini positioning us for success and ensuring we continue to provide our customers with the best experience possible. We look forward to receiving our first airplanes in 2020.”
Air Niugini flies a domestic network of more than 25 destinations from its Port Moresby hub, as well as numerous international routes across Asia-Pacific, including Australia, Singapore, Indonesia, Fiji, Philippines, Solomon Islands, Hong Kong, Vanuatu, Japan, and in the near future, China. :D

balusnomore
21st Feb 2016, 01:20
Jock p

Wouldn't be clapping my hands too quickly....might be just like the order for 2 X 787's.....oops Cancel, Cancel!!!

Duck Pilot
22nd Feb 2016, 06:01
Has the 787 orders been cancelled?

What about the supposed DHC8 fleet replacement with ATRs, is that still on the table?

I believe the 737 Max would be good for PX.

Kiwiconehead
22nd Feb 2016, 06:32
What about the supposed DHC8 fleet replacement with ATRs, is that still on the table?

That has been on and off for years - depends on who is in town buying the board lunch at the time, Bombardier or ATR

Duck Pilot
22nd Feb 2016, 07:45
Fact is that the ATR is a more flexible machine for PNG long term now that Bombardier have stopped manufacturing the DHC8-200s.

Vicking Twin Otters may even be a plausible solution if PX want to continue to go to places such as Chimbu. It would be a good spinner in terms of training, financial return and satisfying the grass roots people in the rural under serviced remote locations. Air Niugini is PNGs national airline owned 100% by the citizens of PNG.

Salesmen talk actually opened up Chimbu to PX with the DHC7 🇵🇬🇵🇬🇵🇬🇵🇬

balusnomore
22nd Feb 2016, 10:08
Has the 787 orders been cancelled?

Mate, the 787 deal died back in my day, couple years ago...believe that the Max was the way out...AND yeah, looking at the route structure, the MAX will be a pretty good fit. Especially Japan, Singapore etc where the extra fuel will help when CNS is POM ALT in the Wet Season

Next question is what will replace the ageing 767's. PNG need the freight capability that the MAX can't supply.

Guess we are taking two companies though, Link and Pixie.

olderairhead
7th Mar 2016, 01:03
With the court case about to be heard, pilots from both groups met with the lawyer to be briefed. Two interesting things eventuated from the meeting:

1. Any decision reached by the court will only apply to the plaintiffs (ie Only those pilots who are signatory to the case). Meaning if the decision is in favour of the pilots then those pilots who did not sign will remain on A and B scale and the new contract conditions and those that did sign will revert to the original contract pay and work conditions.

2. A resolution was passed that it is the policy of NAPU and PNGAPA that pilots should politely decline from working on RDO's. Obviously some are being greedy to the detriment of others.

Interesting times ahead.

olderairhead
8th Mar 2016, 19:56
The court case begins.

The "directions hearing" is scheduled for 16 March 2016.

olderairhead
28th Mar 2016, 22:49
Update from paradise.

The directions hearing was held on 16 March.

PX legal said they were not aware of the case and asked for an adjournment - refused!

The Judge asked them “what happened at mediation?”
“It failed your honour”
“Why did it fail?”
PX—“don’t know”

Judge perused the Mediation Certificate and report and announced that the Mediator had written a note in the report that in his judgment, PX treated the whole process “in bad faith”—essentially meaning that PX had no intention of coming to any agreement.

The next step is for Lawyers to prepare submissions outlining the case.
Firstly, PX must prepare submission explaining why they did what they did .
(enforcing the un-negotiated contract etc. etc.)
Then pilots Lawyer must sight this and respond.

Submissions to be in court on 7th April, which will be the first step of the case proper.

Further updates as they come to hand.

kumul1
29th Mar 2016, 10:05
Sounds like a standard PX answer.

olderairhead
31st Mar 2016, 00:54
New contract hidden benefit.

Latest is that take home pay has reduced between 7% and 8% under the new contract as the exchange rate has changed, on top of the original 20 - 30% paycut.

Troops are not happy - not that they were anyway.

olderairhead
5th Apr 2016, 23:07
The knife is out again.

Q400 pilots are being made redundant, first one was advised yesterday with the rest being called in.

Is it a coincidence that the court case starts tomorrow?

balusnomore
6th Apr 2016, 02:28
Last time PX made guys redundant (late 2014) just about everyone of the "redundees" got an invite for a PX interview......BUT with loss of seniority and, of course the newer LOW "B" scale salary the offer.

In this current situation would have thought PX would simply move the Q400 pilots to the chronically short Fokker fleet......but of course that fleet does not have the training capacity.

Duck Pilot
6th Apr 2016, 07:27
Very disappointing to hear this industrial dispute is dragging on for so long, although it doesn't surprise me.

How many pilots are now on the seniority list?

olderairhead
6th Apr 2016, 09:32
As of 18.1.16 total combined 185, spread is about 50/50

got you sighted
7th Apr 2016, 10:51
Older air head,

Any news on how many Q400 guys got made redundant?

olderairhead
7th Apr 2016, 23:14
got you sighted just waiting on confirmation from up North.

Court case moved only one cog but at least it moved.

Judge has directed the release of the mediation results to both parties for their consideration and to reply to the court as to why that process failed. Date TBA.

balusnomore
8th Apr 2016, 08:34
I see that PX scored well in the 2016 Industry Engagement survey as seen on PPRuNe. Haha. :D

http://www.pprune.org/australia-new-zealand-pacific/576756-2016-industry-engagement-survey-2.html

The Management team should have tried just that little bit harder...I am thinking that only a smidgen more effort would have been needed and they would have achieved a Management target of ZERO.

Man, I feel for you guys.

High 6
12th Apr 2016, 14:38
Hey Wantoks, any update on the April 7 hearings ?

13th Apr 2016, 00:14
It saddens me to hear news of more redundancies, my thoughts are with those affected and their families.

olderairhead
13th Apr 2016, 06:06
High 6 read post #233

Still waiting to hear when the next hearing will be.

olderairhead
13th Apr 2016, 22:03
Next court hearing is 5th May. PX is required to advise why they have not reinstated a national Captain who was terminated for refusal to sign the 2015 contract plus further legal argument.

And

Leaked from 4th floor, PX will be removing the A scale from the next contract that is due at the end of this year - All pilots will be on b scale only!

RetiredTooEarly
13th Apr 2016, 22:36
I joined PX in the good old days of DC3's, F27 and B707 aircraft and did some 24 years with them finishing up as Fleet Caotain C & T but ........ even back then the management were embittered towards pilots! We had a strong Union but had to fight and kick every inch of the way.

With a massively beneficial exchange rate up to 1.6 AUD per Kina we were on a good wicket plus a hundred bucks a night overnight allowance.

The proposed B salaries will see another eflux of pilots and then the ever present risk of pushing national pilots into positions they are neither qualified nor experienced enough to fill! (I) had to contend with this every day but we had some top notch local pilots who were a credit to the country ............ the push for early promotion was always there, very common in most countries similar to PNG.

I really do worry that this 43 year old death free airline will consequently have a significant lowering of standards as experienced pilots pull the pin and look for greener pastures!

olderairhead
13th Apr 2016, 23:09
New low for PX, even by their own standards!

Just been advised the recently "retrenched" Q400 Captain returned to POM on company ticket to complete extensive paperwork required on company separation, but when attempting to get Hotel and Allowance Chit gets told that management have declared he is not to be given same nor is he to be given a company supplied Airline ticket back home to Australia!

He had to organise his own accommodation and return travel!

Further adding to the woes is the report that the Kina could drop as low as 0.24 - 0.29 against the $A. Ouch.

http://www.businessadvantagepng.com/papua-new-guinea-kina-set-to-fall-further-say-analysts/

DHC8 Driver
14th Apr 2016, 00:06
Don't feel sorry for any one made redundant from that third world excuse for an airline. All the guys who were made redundant last time went on to get much better jobs. You guys are the lucky ones. I feel sorry for the ones who are still stuck there.

And anyone thinking if going there - forget it! Even as a last resort I would not recommend it. If you have any self respect at all don't go.

I am qualified to say these things - I escaped from ANG after a very long sentence in that sespit, Port Morseby - worst place in the world bar none!

Kiwiconehead
14th Apr 2016, 00:50
Just been advised the recently "retrenched" Q400 Captain returned to POM on company ticket to complete extensive paperwork required on company separation, but when attempting to get Hotel and Allowance Chit gets told that management have declared he is not to be given same nor is he to be given a company supplied Airline ticket back home to Australia!

There is a reason most of the engineers just get on a flight and leave when it's time to call it quits - even trying to do the right thing causes hassle.

splat72
17th Apr 2016, 13:26
Very sad days as we are seeing the begining of the end for a 40 year old Airline.

Duck Pilot
17th Apr 2016, 20:10
With the amount of recruiting that's going on in Australia and Asia at the moment, I find it very different to understand why some long timers are still sticking around. You won't be remembered by anyone when you leave - not even your mates!!!!

With the valve of the Kina falling, you guys are are going to end up earning hardly anything......

Loud Handle
18th Apr 2016, 04:04
I agree Duck Pilot......to a point but there are other factors to take into consideration presently.
The court case is finally getting under way and perhaps people are waiting to see if a positive result translates into positive change?
There appears to be change happening at the very top of PX management and again people may want to wait and see if this translates in to improvements for the pilots.
Finally there is a tsunami of trouble brewing within the government which again could effect this State Owned Enterprise.
Of course nothing may go the way of the pilots in any tangible way and then I agree, an exodus will occur (again).
The next six months will be very interesting.

Duck Pilot
18th Apr 2016, 07:37
I wouldn't have any faith in the PNG judicial system, just look at what's going on right now!

Expats trying to win a industrial dispute in PNG?? To many white cans brothers!!!!!

Riding the Goat
18th Apr 2016, 10:57
I think the reason that long serving expats are staying is called Stockholm Syndrome, they have fallen in love with their captor.

Chocks Away
23rd Apr 2016, 16:10
B767 inbound (http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/45583-air-niugini-to-lease-a-portuguese-b767). :hmm:

NCD
23rd Apr 2016, 22:04
DP
Getting a new job for the guys takes time, not like you walk into Woolies and grab one of the shelf..

And plenty jobs in AUS??

767's in for back to back C check, hence wet lease. Although I had heard a rumour they were going to get a third 767 on line. Some smartish person prob realised they didn't have the work........or maybe the spare change.

The Big E
23rd Apr 2016, 23:13
767's in for back to back C check

Who is the Maintenance Provider?

Regards to ya all. Big E

NCD
24th Apr 2016, 10:16
Duck Pilot,

Yep, I understand that, what I am saying is that while just about everyone (apparently) has a application in to just about every other airline in the World, am saying that it is it not a point of just packing up and moving...there is a a time factor in the exodus.

Mates tell me that the next round of resignations (after their last abysmal contract) is starting.

Though not convinced about plenty work in Aus.

To Goat Rider's comment..."they have fallen in love with their captors" hahaha, hahaha, hahaha, ROFLMAO, Double ROFLMAO. MMMMM, Lets see....No Way Jose!!!

The Big E...Mates tell me that it is in Guangzhou...who, sorry haven't any idea.

Duck Pilot
25th Apr 2016, 00:55
Good luck to all effected. I'll buy any of you guys/girls a beer or two any day.

olderairhead
4th May 2016, 04:50
It is now official that Alabaster is the new GM of Link PNG as of 2 May 2016.

Next court case sitting is Friday 9:30am.

aircrank1
4th May 2016, 14:10
Who is BA?:confused:
AC

olderairhead
5th May 2016, 05:44
PX have just advised all staff that parents are no longer entitled to concessional travel unless they are proven to be financially dependent on the employee. This is also now limited to 2 travels per year.

There are further restrictions but this is the one that is causing the most concern.

Things must be getting a bit tight with the reducing Kina.

PX have also advertised for external FO's. You have been warned!

balusnomore
6th May 2016, 02:23
Asked a former colleague about the current adverts for direct entry Fokker FO's

Saw the PX ad you were talking about. This is what I reckon.

“A competitive salary package will be provided to attract the right candidate”.
The current contract for a F100 FO is: PGK 249,888.
On today’s exchange rate of .42 c this equals: $AUD 104,952.
PNG Tax is high, out of this expect to pay: $AUD 39,000.
Yearly take home will be around: $AUD 66,000.
AND THERE IS NO SUPERANNUATION.

Comparing apples and oranges I would have to compare it to what you would get in Aus, (Don't know US) say you earned about $AUD 87,000 in Oz, you would pay $AUD 23,000 in tax/medicare, so your take home pay would be the same BUT you would receive an extra 9%+ in super, about $AUD 8,000. Prob get the same as an FO on a Turbo prop on Aus. So Competitive is prob stretching the truth, especially for having to live in PNG and having to pay bills in a 1st world country. Prob ok if you were just starting out but. And heres the kicker, the Kina has gone from .47 to .42 in very short time; there is no real commitment from the company to keep the salary tied to any currency other than the Kina. So say the kina dropped to .30 the salary in AUD salary will drop to around $AUD 45,000. Check out the XE website, scary stuff if you are getting paid in Kina and paying the mortgage and kids school fees.

The positions are Moresby based. There has never been a commuting contract, but there used to be offshore basing but that has changed now; it is all POM based, but PX has made up this term “Domicile offshore”. Up to two tickets will be provided for you to travel to either BNE or CNS (if Australia is your Domicile). Ten days off a block are given, but really the best hoped for visiting Domicile would be either 2 breaks of 4 days, or one break of 7 days (the remaining days off need to be used to give 7th day off in country). You will be have to travel in you own time so your days at home will be not be much…4 days off = one day to travel home, two days at home and one day to travel back. Of course you could move your family to POM…(but personally I sure as hell wouldn’t contemplate that). And there is only 4 weeks annual leave, they took two weeks to make up the extra two days off a month.But whether this will apply to any new guys being hired I wouldn’t have a clue. When in POM the “offshore domiciles” will live in this new Accommodation Block being built at the airport, right where the Management will work. Imagine coming back from somewhere like the Derro and seeing the COE or Board Member in the lift, haha.

The Future
PX really is no longer a career airline for an expat as it doesn't require to offer it. it has a very big Cadet system…it even has a self-funded Cadet system. Promotion to the left seat for any joining right now would have to thought unlikely. Really, Expats are only to fill the seats until the cadet system reaches self sufficiency.

In the in-flight magazine “Paradise” the Chairman when talking about the airlines routes stated “that a significant number of services are unprofitable, whilst others are at best marginal. No less than half of these services fall into the unprofitable category”. With the Government having financial problems of their own, one has to worry when the PX Chairman starts using that unprofitable word,… wonder where the money will come from if a large portion of the routes is unprofitable.

Endorsement
One upside of the contract is that the endorsement is provided. There is a $AUD 30,000 bond for it but that reduces equally over 24 months. From hire to first Revenue flight will be about 4 to 6 months and add on the 500 hours to be employable will chop that bond in half. But nobody working at PX knows anybody that ever paid the bond, (PX might withhold any monies owing to you when you leave though) so it would be a cheap way of getting a jet endorsement if you weren't getting any bites from anywhere else and nobody would disrespect anyone for not paying out a bond and simply leaving. This is because there is no respect what so ever from Management to the Pilots and cause of this neither the other way. As soon as guys get checked they forward of their updated resume to every airline they can think of, good on em.

Closing
As an expat is a not a nice place to work atm (that is at the Management level, not grassroots or pilot level). Example a senior Expat Captain got “retrenched” recently way out seniority, the only explanation was that he was extra to needs, even though he was the only one. In the past Management has just not bothered to apply for an extension to guys work permit so off you go. No excuses are needed. Everyone wonders who will be next, who wont get a contract or who work permit lapses so you suddenly become an illegal.

Both Unions have taken to suing against ANG about the lack of negotiations for the last contract. This is in the courts as we speak. But the next conditions contract is due next year (less than 12 months away!!) and everyone believes/knows that will provide for even worse conditions.

Also politics bit messy at present. PNG Loop (online news mag) has fair bit on that Not sure how that is going to end.

All the best

DHC8 Driver
6th May 2016, 08:31
Co-pilot time on a F100/70 - next to useless getting you a job anywhere outside of Australia. Certainly not worth the pain and suffering of spending 2-3 years in that sh*t hole Port Morbid.

If you have any self respect don't go - unless you like the concept of being a slave!

If you do go don't complain later - you have been adequately warned!!!!

NCD
6th May 2016, 11:23
So ANG replaces its modern Q400 fleet with 27 year old technology F70's, but PNG Air (AIRLINES PNG, MBA) gets new technology, brand new,of the production line, ATR72-600's.

Am I missing something here??

But, giving due where it is due, have to say, do prefer the passenger flight in the Fokker for its space and comfort over the turbo prop

got you sighted
7th May 2016, 01:38
For those of you about to apply for the positions recently advertised. Please rember that the pilot body is currently in an industrial dispute with ANG management and is spending vast amounts of money in legal fees, along with working strictly to contract( not working days off or overtime). The mear act of even applying for such positions undermines the cause of the pilot body. ( to create better conditions for all). So please before applying please think of the consequences of your action on everybody else.