PDA

View Full Version : Third variant of new Gulfstream large cabin platform? Anyone have details?

tuna hp
15th Oct 2014, 20:53
Many of the later rumors surrounding the Gulfstream P42 program was that there were three variants: P42-1, P42-2, and P42-3. This nomenclature had been used on peoples' LinkedIn posts and in supplier financial filings. Obviously they have only announced two new planes.

Is there still a third plane on this platform forthcoming? Obviously one of the planes could have been cancelled, and obviously it could have been the case that all 3 were never necessarily intended to all be built. They could have been design studies from which Gulfstream was going to choose which one or more to take to market.

But it also could be that there is a variant that they just haven't announced yet. Does anyone here know what the case is? People here are always claiming to have inside information or at least be privy to rumors through their work and through buying discussions with the manufacturers.

Could the unannounced variant have been a plane with a similar cabin to the G500, but optimized for lower ~4,000nm range?

Could the unannounced variant be a plane optimized at similar weights as the G600 but with a 4.5 seating section cabin to offer the cabin size of the Bombardier Global 7000?

Those would be my two guesses as to what the third variant would have been/ will be but hopefully someone on this forum has more info.

FrankR
16th Oct 2014, 04:15
Looking back on the 50 year history of Gulfstream, I don't think that they give a Flying Fish about what the snowmobile makers in Montreal or anyone else is thinking about.

FR

josephfeatherweight
16th Oct 2014, 16:26
Which is why Gulfstream is about 15 years behind the "snowmobile makers" when it comes to aircraft systems...

Booglebox
16th Oct 2014, 21:24
Maybe the 3rd aircraft is actually the G650? :}

uberwang
16th Oct 2014, 22:11
You can't be serious. Bombardiers in the Long range class lack reliability and are generally unnecessarily complex in their systems. I understand being supportive of your type, it is a nice aircraft too, but always a step behind...

josephfeatherweight
16th Oct 2014, 22:34
My current type is G650 - yes, I'm off the Global, but you cannot be serious about a Global being a step behind a Gulfstream. The G650 has good range, speed and cabin (when the cabin works...) but it is LIGHT YEARS behind when it comes to systems - I'll spell it out for you below...
BD700 - from the early 2000's
G650 - from 2012.

G650 - dark cockpit - you're kidding right?

G650 - Break Power Transfer - WTF? What on earth is this? Cannot transfer from Ext AC power to APU Gen without a Break Power Transfer which can break computers and make your life a misery! Give me a break.

G650 - no RAT autodeploy, must turn off RAT gen first, then deploy RAT, then wait 30 secs and then select RAT gen which will result in a Break Power Transfer - AND no autopilot on the RAT - for goodness sake!

G650 - no autostart - wait, what? On a newer engine varient? Why?

G650 - manual ground spoilers - seriously, I have to power up first, then turn the ground spoilers on, otherwise they'll pop up and scare the pax... Rubbish.

G650 - the most antiquated cabin pressurisation system I have EVER had the displeasure to use.

The G650 takes at least 20 mins longer to prepare for flight than the BD700 - I can go on, but don't have time right now. The old Global is miles ahead of the G650...

Bring it on! :)